Tag management and UI stuff

Options

I'm just migrating from LastPass and so far the experience is pretty painful.

We have a bunch of folders and subfolders that are coming across as tags.

We need a big cleanup to get things in order for 1Password, and everything is incredibly tedious.

Some things so far

• To move from one tag to another, I have to select a few, tag them (manually type it in without autocomplete) then remove the tag
  • Tags with slashes show up as folders in the windows app, but as strings with the slash in them in the web vault
  • To rename a tag you have to add everything to a new tag and remove the old one
  • To move sub-tags/folders to another vault, I have to do it folder by folder (and we have a folder for every client!) - doesn't seem to be a way to view all in a folder (including its sub folders)

This is going to make a change over LastPass take probably a full day of work.

Are there ways around any of the points above that I'm missing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jimmyrose ,

Agilebits will likely respond to your post here shortly, but I'll offer an option if the responses don't meet your immediate needs, or you need more customization that will be available in the client or web app.

There is a lastpass converter in the converter suite, which is much more comprehensive than then 1Password built-in importer. And it can be easily customized, depending upon your needs. I'd be happy to give you a customized version to help reduce your migration pain. Hopefully you're not too far into the process, such that a restart won't be a wasted effort.

FYI: I believe folders are now gone in 1Password 7, and are replaced by the more flexible Tags (I'd imagine 1Password's UI for tag management will get better, hopefully soon - I think I read that there are plans for improvements here).

• jimmyrose
    jimmyrose
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Thanks for that. I'm a fair way in now so I'll probably have to stick with it.

But on the tags/folders thing... if you put a tag name like "Level 1/Level2" - "Level 1" appears kind of like a folder structure, with Level 2 underneath. But there doesn't appear to be a way to view everything inside Level 1 (including Level 2).

And it still shows up as a tag named "Level 1/Level2" - so every sub tag under Level 1 would need to be renamed individually if that makes sense. You can rename "Level 1" and have it change across the board.

• MikeT
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi guys,

@jimmyrose, we're in middle of a transition to nested tags-only world as all 1Password apps will be updated soon to support only nested tags to phase out folders completely.

There are major improvements coming soon to 1Password 7 on Windows:

1. Rename/delete tags on the sidebar, you will be able to right-click on any tags to delete or rename to update them quickly.
    2. Parent tags will be updated to show all children items. We weren't initially sure if we should treat the parent tag as its own tag or have it include all children items. After a few internal discussions, we're leaning to have the parent tags show all children tags. This will be added in a future update. This will allow you to view all items in one list and move them as expected to another vault. There's another improvement coming in the future where you'd be able to simply drag items into the sidebar to create a new vault with it.

Tags with slashes show up as folders in the windows app, but as strings with the slash in them in the web vault

Our web app will be updated in the future to separate them out, it doesn't support nesting yet.

ref: b5/b5#4624

• jimmyrose
    jimmyrose
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Good to hear about the tag overhaul.

There's definitely a case to be made for only showing tags under the top level (like a folder in Windows would), but then you could have a search option to show everything under that parent.

• MikeT
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi @jimmyrose,

I forgot to mention that we support a search filter for tags that you can use wildcard for, like this tag:parent/*, that'll return all nested tags under parent. To use this, select All Items, so it'll return all items and then enter the tag filter in the search field above the item list.

One note is that we don't support case insensitive search filters yet, so you need to enter the tag name precisely. We'll change this in a future update to be flexible.

There's definitely a case to be made for only showing tags under the top level (like a folder in Windows would),

That's why we didn't initially show it, we were thinking of a folder on Windows but when considering cross-platform, Windows tend to be the exception and so, we've decided to go with the majority and show them.

This discussion has been closed.