1Password 4 to 1Password 7

Options

Hello,
I am an old happy user of 1Password4, i wanted to give 1Password7 a try as it seems to be free (correct?).

But when i went ahead to import my vault, it stated the following:
A copy of this vault will be made in the OPVault format ans saved to:
PATH

The current Agile Keychain folder will be renamed to .legacyagilekeychain. If you sync this vault with 1Password on other devices, congigure them to sync with the new vault after it is converted.

Question:
If i start using 7, and i end up not liking it, i can easily switch back to 4 right? all i have to do is connect my account to the legacy vaults and readd everything i added in the newer version, that's it, correct? Or will you automatically save into the legacy vault? ALlowing me to use v4 on some devices and v7 on others, please advise.

My main pain point with version 7 is that it does not have the auto fill / Auto-Type option for apps. I have to manually copy and paste the username and password, except for browsers, it might work by using the icon in the fields. Please advise if you have this fixed by now.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• amnya
    amnya
    Community Member
    Options

Darn! After i clicked convert, you showed me a message stating that it is free for 1 month only and that i'l have to buy it afterwards! Thanks for not mentioning this on your website anywhere! You stated for 1Password users, just install and import your vault! Was it so hard to mention that it it a paid thing?

Now, final question, is there a way to upgrade my 4 to 7 instead of paying the full amount of $49 for a perpetual license? And which updates do you cover for that kind of license?! only 1 year? only version 7, so a jump to version 8 would leave me out? Please clarify.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Darn! After i clicked convert, you showed me a message stating that it is free for 1 month only and that i'l have to buy it afterwards! Thanks for not mentioning this on your website anywhere! You stated for 1Password users, just install and import your vault! Was it so hard to mention that it it a paid thing?

@amnya: I'm sorry for the confusion, but 1Password is definitely a paid app. It always has been, and this is shown on our website for both the standalone app and subscriptions for 1Password.com memberships.

Now, final question, is there a way to upgrade my 4 to 7 instead of paying the full amount of $49 for a perpetual license? And which updates do you cover for that kind of license?! only 1 year? only version 7, so a jump to version 8 would leave me out? Please clarify.

You can purchase a license for version 7 (which will not include version 8), pay for a 1Password.com membership (which includes all the apps and updates), or continue using the version you already paid for.

If i start using 7, and i end up not liking it, i can easily switch back to 4 right? all i have to do is connect my account to the legacy vaults and readd everything i added in the newer version, that's it, correct? Or will you automatically save into the legacy vault? ALlowing me to use v4 on some devices and v7 on others, please advise.

If you decide to still with version 4, you can use your existing vault there. It supports both AgileKeychain and OPVault. It's as simple as opening them in the file dialog.

My main pain point with version 7 is that it does not have the auto fill / Auto-Type option for apps. I have to manually copy and paste the username and password, except for browsers, it might work by using the icon in the fields. Please advise if you have this fixed by now.

1Password 7 has the "Type in window" feature. You can open 1Password mini, right-click a login, and when you select a specific field you'll have the option to fill it in a particular window.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• amnya
    amnya
    Community Member
    Options

Thank for all your answers. Do you have an upgrade license from 4 to 7 or should i buy a new standalone v7?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amnya: We've made 1Password 7 licenses available at a discount during the launch special. That will allow you to use that version on any compatible devices:

You can find more details in the announcement about what's new:

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

And if you have any questions about using it, we're happy to assist. :)

• amnya
    amnya
    Community Member
    Options

Dear,
    I checked the link, it mentions the discount during luanch, since i saw $49 on the buy now area, does this mean that the promotion is still active?

Furthermore, please note that i have tried to use the autofill into an app window feature, and i am afraid that it does not work. It only fills into browsers, but when i try to fill the password in other application windows, i does not do anything. Please advise.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Dear, I checked the link, it mentions the discount during luanch, since i saw $49 on the buy now area, does this mean that the promotion is still active?

@amnya: As I write this, the launch special is still available. :)

Furthermore, please note that i have tried to use the autofill into an app window feature, and i am afraid that it does not work. It only fills into browsers, but when i try to fill the password in other application windows, i does not do anything. Please advise. Thanks.

Thanks for letting me know. Can you give me an example? 1Password cannot fill into all types of apps, when their windows are not exposed to the framework we're using to enumerate them (this seems to be common with UWP apps from the Windows Store). But this is something we'll be improving in the future as we continue to build the larger Auto-Type functionality to make it more flexible.

• amnya
    amnya
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty, i decided to go with the online version. But i have 1 last worry i need to cover before i proceed. I will be going with the family plan, with that each family member will have their own account where there retain their own credentials.

Lets assume, i want to stop my subscription, will i still be able to use my old version 4 or version 7 single license to sync and use the vault which used to be in the subscription plan? Until i can continue with a new subscription later? I need to stay in sync, no matter if i have a subscription or using the offline single license version, please advise if this would still work.

Am not sure what would happen to the family member accounts though. Please advise.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Lets assume, i want to stop my subscription, will i still be able to use my old version 4 or version 7 single license to sync and use the vault which used to be in the subscription plan? Until i can continue with a new subscription later? I need to stay in sync, no matter if i have a subscription or using the offline single license version, please advise if this would still work.

@amnya: If you cancel your subscription, you'll still have access to your data. The account will just be read only. That way you can copy it to a local vault if you want to go back to the standalone version you already paid for, or purchase a license to use the current version without an account. And in that case you'd need to sync your own data in the local vault between devices. Definitely get in touch if you end up doing that so we can help.

Am not sure what would happen to the family member accounts though. Please advise.

Family members would be in the same boat: they'd each be able to access their data to export it, but they'd need licenses to use the apps without an account gutting forward.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• amnya
    amnya
    Community Member
    Options

Yups, it helps a lot, i will now proceed with my subscription. Thank you. But just as a final note, if my family are using the same computers that i use, we can still use the same license, correct? We do not have to buy a different license, each. We would just load the vaults and each would select his own when he accesses the computer, right? Again, thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amnya: It depends on what you purchased. 1Password has never been licensed per-computer. We did offer a "family" license many years ago. But all licenses purchased any time recently are single user. So they'd each need one for 1Password 7, for example. A license for 1Password for Mac version 7 would entitle you to use that version on as many computers as you want, but other individuals would need their own licenses.

As far as configuration, I definitely recommend using separate user accounts. That way everyone has their own 1Password setup (and browser, Desktop, etc.) Not to mention that helps compartmentalize things a bit if someone ends up downloading something they shouldn't.

• amnya
    amnya
    Community Member
    Options

But how would that work? if we all work on the same computer. with the same user logged into that computer. How would that work? Each would buy a single license? would that even work? where will they put the license key? What i have is a the 1Password 4 For Windows license.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amnya: 1Password is a single user app, like most apps — with web browsers (which often support profiles) being an exception. So yes, you'd each need to use 1Password in a separate user account, and you'd each need a valid license. All desktop OSes have multi-user support built in for security and convenience. A single license for 1Password for Windows version 4 is valid for you to use on all of your PCs yourself.

• amnya
    amnya
    Community Member
    Options

Crystal Clear regarding the offline mode, thanks :)

But now, since i have moved to an online family subscription, each will have his own username and password, all under the same umbrella of my account, each will have his/her own vault (if i setup as such) and they all will be able to use the mobile app on their phones without the need to purchase anything other than me paying for the family subscription, correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amnya: That's correct: everything is included, for up to 5 family members, in 1Password Families at the base price. It's everything 1Password. :)

• amnya
    amnya
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. As a long time happy 1 password 4 user, I am privileged to now join the 1Password online family. Thank you for thoroughly answering all of my questions, I know my non stop questions are frustrating sometimes, but i guarantee you that it has all paid off. Looking forward to many more decades with 1Password :) I humbly thank you for every second you have spent in this thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha not frustrating at all! Thanks for your kind words, and supporting what we do. We love making 1Password, and it's been a pleasure chatting with you. Don't be a stranger: we're here for any other questions you think of along the way! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.