Microsoft Edge extension not working

Comments

• fc0712
    fc0712
    Community Member

I’m also experiencing this issue and often when edge doesn’t want to open the 1 password extensions and I try to open the 1 password app manually then my computer significantly slows down in every app - have anyone experienced this and know why that might happen?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fc0712: Let's keep the conversation in one place to avoid confusion. Thanks!

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

Glad to see I'm not alone. I'm having (for a while now) the same problem here using Edge in Windows 10 (1803). I can see the 1Password icon in the window's header area (top right) but about half of the time, clicking on it does nothing. Fortunately I can log into my family-account 1Password web page and get my passwords that way, but it's a lot more trouble than getting them from the extension. Hoping for a fix.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@williamporter: Have you tried quitting Edge completely, waiting a minute, and relaunching it? That can help work around some of its weird extension launching behavior.

• 1pBob
    1pBob
    Community Member

Maybe this observation helps here...I haven't seem them reported anywhere else on the forum.

I see the following:

Note all the 'disconnected' connections. These pile up over time and need to be removed regularly.

My 1password logs accumulate lots of messages like:

<tr class=w><td>W</td><td title='2018-10-10 01:00:31'>56903643ms</td><td title=''>ThreadId(2)</td><td>1Password::api:1796            │ 56903643ms │ Failed to retrieve an icon from C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe, note that network paths aren&#39;t supported.
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe
       at System.Drawing.Icon.ExtractAssociatedIcon(String filePath, Int32 index)
       at System.Drawing.Icon.ExtractAssociatedIcon(String filePath)
       at AgileBits.OnePassword.ProcessInformation.LoadWinFormsIcon(String fileName)</td></tr>
    <tr class=w><td>W</td><td title='2018-10-10 01:00:31'>56903643ms</td><td title=''>ThreadId(2)</td><td>1Password::api:1796            │ 56903644ms │ Failed to retrieve an icon from C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe, note that network paths aren&#39;t supported.
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe
       at System.Drawing.Icon.ExtractAssociatedIcon(String filePath, Int32 index)
       at System.Drawing.Icon.ExtractAssociatedIcon(String filePath)
       at AgileBits.OnePassword.ProcessInformation.LoadWinFormsIcon(String fileName)</td></tr>
    <tr class=i><td>I</td><td title='2018-10-10 01:29:46'>58658417ms</td><td title=''>ThreadId(4)</td><td>1Password::api:1790            │ 58658417ms │ &gt; sync
        account id: 1; type: I; session id: I25WMQAY5FH6XKIRGCXBSYU5FM
        &gt; HTTP overview
            error HTTP 401 response {
      &quot;errorCode&quot;: 102,
      &quot;errorMessage&quot;: &quot;Authentication required.&quot;,
      &quot;requestId&quot;: 421573
    }
        time: 1,251ms
    </td></tr>

C:\Users\Bob Brown>dir C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe
     Volume in drive C is OS
     Volume Serial Number is EEC5-CEAC

Directory of C:\Windows\System32

15/09/2018  05:28 PM            99,688 RuntimeBroker.exe
                   1 File(s)         99,688 bytes
                   0 Dir(s)  767,571,484,672 bytes free

C:\Users\Bob Brown>

v7.2.581/win10 + Oct 2018 update. Saw these issues on earlier versions of win10 as well. Using latest browser extension available from windows store.

• 1pBob
    1pBob
    Community Member

Also noticed:

If I click on a disconnected message and select "Open browser file location", the Explorer window that opens only shows "My PC", it dors NOT take me to "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe".

If I click on the chrome entry, the Explorer window correctly takes me to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

• Hi @1pbob,

These excessive Edge entries is expected for the moment because of how 1Password extension for Edge is radically different from the rest of the 1Password extensions we have. We will remove these red herring errors and remove the connected browsers section as well as they were built for the websocket protocol that we no longer use for all 1Password extensions as we've switched over to the Native Messaging protocol.

1Password can't open MicrosoftEdge.exe directly because SystemApps is a protected directory, the same reason you saw some of the other errors.

What you're seeing happens even when Edge works normally, they don't point to anything specific, sadly.

• PMaytham
    PMaytham
    Community Member

For clarification are you saying the error logs are to be expected and or the "excessive Edge entries" are expected for the moment, but 1password for Edge will work properly? My experience is similar to "1pBob", however 1password has never worker properly in Edge for me. I may be able to log into 1 or 2 accounts and then 1password ceases to work. If there is something I can do with your assistance to have 1password consistently function with Edge please advise how you might help.

• 1phowto
    1phowto
    Community Member

I'm looking forward to seeing a new stable 1Password extension for Edge as well.

As nice as Chrome is, Google cannot be trusted with our data/privacy whatsoever. George Soros has bought off Firefox so that only leaves Edge as the last heavyweight contender...

• sonic
    sonic
    Community Member

PMaytham is right. 1password has never worker properly in Edge for me too.

• mbmb
    mbmb
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem. The Edge extension usually only works when disabling the 1Password background processes before starting Edge.

• edspar
    edspar
    Community Member

Happening quite frequently for me as well, and seems particularly bad under the latest October Update (1809).

I'm having to kill and re-launch Edge every few hours to restore 1Password Extension to a working state.

Is there logs or diagnostic data you'd like to collect from some more of us experiencing the issue to assist in fixing?

• Hi guys,

Unfortunately, there are almost no logs that can be retrieved from Edge and 1Password app for Edge (as they're sandboxed UWP apps), which is why it is actually difficult to debug anything related to Edge.

Here is what we do know:

1. You cannot close and open Edge right away, if you do, it'll break the extension. You must wait 30 seconds between closing/opening Edge. If you did do this, you must terminate all 1Password.Edge processes and then restart Edge for it to work again.
    2. Sleeping the device while Edge with 1Password is running will break the extension. Windows at this point does not allow resuming suspended extension processes for some odd reasons. We also cannot opt out of the suspension either, we want the processes to be terminated but Windows switched to suspension after the Creators update, which is when we started to see a lot of problems. We've tried a few times to force the termination but it didn't work.

If you see 1Password extension break after visiting a few sites, please do let us know what sites. Excluding the two known issues above, we have not been able to reproduce the issue with Edge.

We are working on bringing 1Password X to Edge, that'll resolve most of the issues as there are no external processes to work with and there are no connection required to the desktop program.

For clarification are you saying the error logs are to be expected and or the "excessive Edge entries" are expected for the moment, but 1password for Edge will work properly?

I'm saying it happens even when Edge works properly, they don't mean anything and can be ignored completely. We will remove them in future updates. They're not related to the problems here.

• Hey guys,

Instead of hunting down the 1Password.Edge.* processes to terminate with Task Manager; does this work faster:

1. Disable 1Password in Edge
    2. Restart Edge
    3. Enable 1Password.

If yes, this may be quicker to resolve than using Task Manager.

• J_M
    J_M
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I also agree with PMatham and others that 1P has never really worked right in Edge. Looking forward to the solution.

ref: QMU-45793-527

• Hey guys,

We're not saying Edge is perfect, we're aware of some of the issues and are working on some workarounds but it is not a widespread issue. We hope to have more news soon.

• werweisschonwie
    werweisschonwie
    Community Member

Just signed up to this forum because of this issue. It's annoying and imo not acceptable. 1Password is a premium service and shouldn't have those kind of issues, if you claim that you fully support Edge. This is not full support. It's a beta. I only switched from 1password 4 to the subscription, because of Edge. But Edge just doesn't work. It barely works 50% of the time.
    Also, the workaround you posted above doesn't seem to work for me. I gotta say that I'm really disappointed. I had a by far greater experience w/ version 4.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@werweisschonwie: Sorry, what is the specific problem you're having?

• Hey folks,

We've submitted 1Password for Edge 7.2.583 update to Microsoft Store for review, the review may take a few weeks.

This update includes some improvements with 1Password not responding after waking up from sleep, it may also help with the stuck 1Password extension in other situations but as we can't reproduce these edge cases easily, we can't be sure here.

• Hey guys,

Surprisingly, Microsoft has just approved the update. Please go to your Microsoft Store to check for an update and see if 1Password is working better in Edge.

There is a good chance you may have to restart Edge after the update is installed.

• edspar
    edspar
    Community Member

Thanks for the updates! It's also been more reliable since the latest Windows 10 CU on 1809 here.

• That's good to hear. We did receive a few reports that it destabilized after the October 2018 update but it resolved on its own.

• werweisschonwie
    werweisschonwie
    Community Member

@brenty I didn't have a specific problem. The extension just didn't work most of the time. I couldn't even tell you what specifically caused/triggered it.

After the update the extension definitely got more stable. Still, if my laptop wakes up after hibernation the extension doesn't work and I need to kill the extension in the task manager to restart it. Second, if edge gets closed and open twice, the extension also crashes afterwards.
    Thanks for the update. But I still hope that your team doesn't rest on this update and finds a quick solution for the hibernation crash

• @werweisschonwie thanks for the feedback on the latest update! We will definitely continue to improve it, we are waiting for Microsoft Store to tell us reasons for crashes (it usually lags by few days). Due to some technology specifics quickly opening and closing Edge (within 1-2 seconds) might break communication, we are looking for the better way to organize it.

• werweisschonwie
    werweisschonwie
    Community Member

I wanna add again. Even though it got better, it is still extremely annoying that the extension is so unreliable. If Edge is closed and opened twice without restarting the computer (which definitely happens), the extension stops working. The wake-up from hibernation crash makes the app unusable. Unfortunately, I have to switch back to Chrome. I hope there'll be a fix soon

• Hi @werweisschonwie,

If Edge is closed and opened twice without restarting the computer (which definitely happens), the extension stops working.

Unfortunately, that remains to be an issue within Edge. When you close Edge, we need a bit of time to terminate all four processes and if you open Edge before the processes are terminated, it tries to resume something that's already closed and the 1Password extension can't terminate/reopen it.

We have some ideas but they're long-term potential solutions that may not work but we won't give up for sure, we'll continue to work on it.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member

It has been a while -- 1PW 7 and Edge typically fail to do anything when I click the icon. Any hope of a solution?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Hi

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but Microsoft is phasing out Edge and moving, like Firefox, to a Chrome based solution for Edge. It appears Edge had too many issues? Just FYI. It's something to consider going forward, for those who have issues right now.

https://theverge.com/2018/12/6/18128648/microsoft-edge-chrome-chromium-browser-changes

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Mike suggested a way to restart the connection earlier.

While Edge will reportedly be adopting Chromium next year, I don't believe that's the case for Firefox.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

@brenty,

While Edge will reportedly be adopting Chromium next year, I don't believe that's the case for Firefox.

Good to hear the issue had been sorted out.

Firefox has gone Chrome with v57? It's now at Firefox Quantum v64 some releases later. Firefox is using WebExtensions now.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/11/14/introducing-firefox-quantum/

Everybody should already be on Quantum. Even Firefox ESR is now Quantum based. Firefox Legacy is dead.

This discussion has been closed.