Microsoft Edge extension not working

13»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It can definitely be confusing, but I still can't find any evidence that "Firefox Quantum" is Chromium-based, even though it adopted a similar multiprocess model (e10s) for performance a while back.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

I’ll start a new discussion in Lounge? It is now off topic or just leave things alone?

• Hi @wkleem,

It is up to you but Firefox Quantum has nothing to do with Chromium or their Blink engine, entirely separate projects with separate codebases.

• lwhitten
    lwhitten
    Community Member

just my 2cent input - we have the same issue.
    If anyone has a work-around for my non-techy wife I would appreciate it. Up to this point I was uninstalling and re-installing the extension to get it to work, which is less than ideal. It took me forever to get her to agree to a password manager...
    (issue: nothing seems to happen when clicking on extension icon)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lwhitten: Honestly, I wouldn't recommend Edge to anyone who isn't a nerd. It's a really interesting browser with some unique features and other benefits...but it isn't updated particularly frequently (it feels weird to write that, in the context of Internet Explorer and the old days of Firefox, but it's true nowadays), has compatibility issues with many websites, and just doesn't have the ecosystem other browsers do. I'm glad it exists and that Microsoft cares about it, but what I'd recommend in that case is Chrome: it's got a long track record, is easy to use, and has great compatibility. :)

That said, if she is intent on using Edge, the workaround Mike suggested above (which basically amounts to toggling the extension) is not very technical at all and should help. And I'd argue that someone who has an opinion about web browsers may have some nerd in them after all. ;)

• ecosme
    ecosme
    Community Member

Any update on this? I've been experiencing this same issue forever.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ecosme,

I don't have anything new to share at this point. If you have issues with 1Password extension in Edge, you can try to do the following:

1) Check for Windows updates, install any updates and reboot. Sometime pending Windows updates can break things like this.
    2) Check Control Panel > Uninstall a program, make sure there is only one 1Password version installed.

If that doesn't help, uninstall 1Password extension in Edge, reboot (since you can't restart Edge cleanly) and re-install it. This helps some users. As a possible workaround you can also close Edge, open Task manager and end all the Edge background process. Then restart Edge and check if 1Password extension works.

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And for context, Microsoft has since announced plans to move to a Chromium-based browser this year. So we'll see how that develops. :)

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member

So the answer to 1PW extension issues with Edge is Chrome? I am concerned about Googles propensity to violate the privacy of its users?

Or

Disable 1Password in Edge.
    Restart Edge.
    Enable 1Password.

How long does this workaround stay effective?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MikeV99: You don't have to use Chrome to use Chromium. While Microsoft isn't quite ready to release what they've been working on, Vivaldi, Brave, and Opera are all solid Chromium-based browsers. And if you're not married to Chromium, Firefox is great too -- especially because of their focus on privacy, like Brave. :)

Regarding the "how long" question, it really isn't matter of time but behaviour. I rarely have issues with Edge these days, but that's an accident of how I use my PC more than anything else. Here's what we know, per Mike's comments earlier:

1. You cannot close and open Edge right away, if you do, it'll break the extension. You must wait 30 seconds between closing/opening Edge. If you did do this, you must terminate all 1Password.Edge processes and then restart Edge for it to work again.
    2. Sleeping the device while Edge with 1Password is running will break the extension. Windows at this point does not allow resuming suspended extension processes for some odd reasons. We also cannot opt out of the suspension either, we want the processes to be terminated but Windows switched to suspension after the Creators update, which is when we started to see a lot of problems. We've tried a few times to force the termination but it didn't work.

It's improved a bit since then, but ultimately it will depend on your workflow.

• dickysum
    dickysum
    Community Member

The 1Password Edge extension constantly stops working. I have to kill the Edge process in Task Manager in order to have the extension working again. However, it will stop working after I close and open Edge normally. I am using version 7.2.583.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dickysum,

This is a known issue with 1Password extension in the current version of Microsoft Edge – it doesn't work too well when you close Edge and reopen it too fast, it doesn't terminate all processes in time and it won't terminate them for us when we ask, it just suspends it. You will need to kill all the Edge processes in order to work around this issue.

Moreover, it seems that the guys at Microsoft are focused on the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge now, and plans to replace the current version of Microsoft Edge in the future. 1Password X, our new extension, should work in the current dev builds, and our standard extension should work there with our latest 1Password 7 beta.

Please let us know if you have any questions, we are always ready to answer all of them. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• IGotThisOne
    IGotThisOne
    Community Member

Found this in another forum discussing the same issue. It's not a permanent fix but a work around that gets things working as they should. I saved my .bat file in a folder and just run it when 1Password stops working in Edge.

• Create a run.txt file on your desktop, type the code lines:

taskkill /IM 1Password.Edge.Universal.exe /f
    start microsoft-edge:

and save the note file.

• Then rename the run.txt to run.bat. Double click on the batch file to perform those commands. I have done that and 1password runs normally.
  • Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @IGotThisOne,

Thank you for sharing your workaround! It sounds like it automates the killing of all Edge processes (I have described the same process above, but the steps are manual).

I believe it won't be needed with the new Edge that will be released soon. Let's stay tuned. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• kbell101
    kbell101
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

I have this same problem. I believe it happens after the laptop is awakened after sleep. I used the script by IGotThisOne and it works for me. Would be great if this wouldn't be necessary, though.

• It's going to continue to be needed until the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge replaces the current one, I'd wager, @kbell101. The problem here is that the game of telephone that needs to happen between various helper processes and 1Password for Windows to allow filling in the current Microsoft Edge to work is just plain fragile. We've made it more resilient over time, bit by bit, but nothing we've tried has resolved the problem fully and we suspect it's something we may not be able to resolve on our own at all. As such, we decided to make the difficult decision to stop development on the current Edge extension when the new version of the browser was announced. The extension for the new Edge doesn't have this issue.

One thing to keep in mind is that the new Edge won't necessarily replace the current for everyone right away. It's slated for stable release later this month, but Microsoft may take its time switching folks over. This means we'll continue to offer the current extension so long as the current Edge remains the default for some subset of folks using Windows, but if you want to get rid of this issue now you can install the beta version of the new Edge today. If you'd rather wait until stable, I'm sure there will be announcement when that happens, but again, you might need to actively decide to make that switch depending on how Microsoft handles that process. It's still a bit up in the air and we can't be sure how it will happen exactly so there's going to have to be a bit of watching and learning on all of our parts. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.