The application “1Password Updater.app” could not be launched because it was not found.

jameshgale
jameshgale
Community Member

After updated to Mojave, when checking for updates to 1Password 7, I get a message error: "The application “1Password Updater.app” could not be launched because it was not found." The Safari Extension is gone. The app still opens (although it wrongly says all my passwords are "reused." And extenstions on other browsers still works. What's going on? How do I fix this?

1Password Version: 7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:The application “1Password Updater.app” could not be launched because it was not found.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jameshgale - I'm sorry for the trouble! I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't be able to check for updates, but I'd recommend a full restart of your Mac and then trying this again; the updater isn't something you should even be able to find easily, let alone delete. In Safari, the 1Password extension you're used to (which is still the correct one for Firefox and Chrome) has been replaced because Apple have deprecated the use of older, .safariextz-style extensions and replaced them with Safari App Extensions. Try restarting your Mac and relaunching 1Password 7 for Mac and Safari. Let me know how that goes.

• jameshgale
    jameshgale
    Community Member

Lars —

Thanks for the response. I finally solved the problem by deleting the 1Password 7 app and then reinstalling it. That worked.

The app thinks that many of my passwords are “reused.” They aren’t. Not really, at least. I recently migrated to the cloud. I kept a copy of my data on my MBP. It’s now a separate vault. I think that the app is simply seeing the same password used in both vaults.

In any event, the “reused” banner is nothing more than a minor annoyance. It doesn’t degrade 1Password’s functionality.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jameshgale - glad to hear that re-installing 1Password 7 did the trick for you. Regarding duplicates, you are (of course!) free to set up 1Password any way that seems best to you. But if you've recently migrated to a 1password.com membership and you're certain all your existing data was copied successfully, there's really no reason to keep an active standalone vault. 1Password for Mac will have kept backups of your previous standalone data that could be restored at any time if necessary, and it won't be necessary: we use Amazon AWS for our host, and the likelihood your data would be lost or inaccessible from there is approaching zero. And if that were to be the case for some catastrophic reason, you could always restore a local backup. No need to live with the annoyance and potential confusion of two nearly-identical vaults in your working copy of 1Password.

• jameshgale
    jameshgale
    Community Member

In my head, I know (and have known) that you're absolutely right. Convincing my gut will take a bit more time!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jameshgale - oh, I get it, believe me. Our entire application requires that kind of leap of faith from people -- from using passwords they can remember to using ones they not only can't, but don't. People need to be able to trust the system before they'll do something like that; I can remember how surprised I was to learn that my own mother, after I introduced her to 1Password and she began using it, continued to manually create memorable passwords (and often re-use them). When I asked why in the world she'd do that when she had 1Password's Strong Password Generator at her fingertips and its database to save them in, she said "well, what if it didn't work someday or I forgot the Master Password?" It took a while for her to get her "gut" used to the idea that it's a lot easier (and safer) to remember one truly strong Master Password, and let 1Password take care of the rest, than it is to keep re-using dangerously short-and-easy-to-crack passwords for all her online accounts. So, take your time. But make SURE you set the "Vault for Saving" in Preferences > Vaults to your 1password.com account's Personal vault, so that when the time comes, you aren't accidentally deleting the Primary with needed data in it. Cheers! :)

• pcdube
    pcdube
    Community Member

I am having a similar issue. When restarting my mac, I get this error message.

The application “1Password Updater.app” could not be launched because it was not found.

1Password appears to be operating fine. Im thinking all I need to do is uninstall and reinstall. Could I have instructions on how to do this please?

• DeeCoz
    DeeCoz
    Community Member

I too am getting this message: "The application “1Password Updater.app” could not be launched because it was not found." This happened after updating to Mojave 10.14.1 a week or so ago.
    Do I have to reinstall 1Password now?
    Will that wipe out all my backed up info on my laptop and my iPhone?
    What precautions should I take?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @pcdube! I'm sorry for the trouble. You can easily uninstall and re-install the main 1Password for Mac application without fear of losing or disturbing your data, because the data is not kept within the app itself. Just Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) before you begin, then delete 1Password. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash, then restart your Mac. After your restart, visit our downloads page and grab a fresh copy of the latest version and install it in the normal way. When you launch 1Password, it should appear just as it did previously.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DeeCoz - how/when are you getting this message? Are you clicking on the updater app in the dock? Or is it at some other time?

• pcdube
    pcdube
    Community Member

I was successful doing a simple uninstall and reinstall on my MacBook. No data loss, no problems, fast.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pcdube - great! Glad to hear it. :)

• DeeCoz
    DeeCoz
    Community Member

@Lars Thanks for responding. I get the message when I click on the notification from iOS AND when I attempt to do an update from within the app. Because of having lost six months of data on a previous update, I'm somewhat antsy about going further without some guidance. (Or if it's a bug, to wait it out and have it fixed in a subsequent update.) I'm a longtime user and fan.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DeeCoz - are you able to launch and unlock 1Password currently (in other words: is the issue only with the updater)? And (I don't think you ever mentioned it so far) what version of 1Password are/were you running?

• DeeCoz
    DeeCoz
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

@Lars Thanks. I'm running:

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
    AgileBits Store

Issue is only with the updater.
    "The application “1Password Updater.app” could not be launched because it was not found." message appears when I try to update 1Password from within the app.

I also have iPhone and iPad versions installed. I try to keep things updated.

1Password is working properly otherwise.
    I'm nervous about this having lost 6 months data in an earlier update.

If the fix is to re-install 1Password, what is the safest way to preserve my password data?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DeeCoz: The message you're seeing indicates that files are missing from 1Password*, and you'll need to get the latest version anyway. So please do the following:

1. Drag 1Password to the Trash
    2. Restart your Mac
    3. Install the latest version of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/

*You may want to investigate what is deleting some of 1Password's files on your system. That is not normal.

I'm nervous about this having lost 6 months data in an earlier update.

What do you mean? You're missing data?

If the fix is to re-install 1Password, what is the safest way to preserve my password data?

The 1Password desktop apps store the data separately. Reinstalling the app will have no effect on the data, unless you use one of those awful "cleaner" apps and they get carried away.

• DeeCoz
    DeeCoz
    Community Member

@Lars I'm running 1Password 7
    Version 7.2.1 (70201002)
    AgileBits Store

(Thought I'd posted earlier but perhaps did not hit "post"!)

@brenty has also replied below.

• DeeCoz
    DeeCoz
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Thanks, @Brenty! That's what I suspected would be the case -- uninstall/reinstall.
    Is the problem with using a cleaner app, that they uninstall supporting files such as all your data?
    I do use CleanMyMac 3 but in this case I would do the "drag to trash" as you suggest.

I also see that @Lars provided some good info on when cleaners can be over-zealous.

What seems to have "cleaned my clock" on my laptop lately was installing a family version of Microsoft. Everything with a login had to be logged into afresh, which is not a bad thing, and why I rely so much on 1Password. My hunch is that the 1Password updater file got swept away as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is the problem with using a cleaner app, that they uninstall supporting files such as all your data?

Exactly.

My hunch is that the 1Password updater file got swept away as well.

That sounds plausible. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with! :)

This discussion has been closed.