Force Syncing on macOS?

noahm
noahm
Community Member

Update: before I submitted this post, syncing worked again. I would still like to ask the question as to why there was such a big delay and if there’s somehow the ability to Force Sync on the macOS version. Thank you.

Hi!

I have 1Password on my iPhone and macOS device. For some reason the Sync on macOS is delayed/slow/not working. I edited some items on 1Password on my iPhone, but the macOS version is showing “Last synced: 13 minutes ago”. I have made several changes between now and then and they are not reflecting on macOS.

macOS setup:

• 1Password Version 7.2.1 (70201002) via AgileBits Store
  • macOS Mojave Version 10.14 (18A391)

iOS setup:

• 1Password Version 6.9.1
  • iOS 9.3.3 (I know I’m a little outdated, but sync has only stopped working as of posting)

Sync via iCloud

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@noahm - iCloud tends to sync when it feels like it; it's not a process we can control, unfortunately. There are also a substantial variety of other issues that might affect sync timing/speed, including AV software, local network filters, connectivity over WLAN or wireless carrier, and numerous others. In short, the answer to "why did it take so long," is difficult to answer, at best.

What's NOT so difficult is how to force a sync: you can force a sync in 1Password for Mac by locking, then unlocking 1Password: choose 1Password > Lock from the menubar, then enter your Master Password. Hope that helps! :)

• Boerny
    Boerny
    Community Member

I'm having a similar issue now.

iCloud syncing works as a charme. It's good that 1Password can't control this, as in the past I've always had issues with custom sync frameworks. iCloud feels rock solid these days.

However, 1Password's own sync to a local folder on the Mac seems unreliable. For some days now, I can't get it to sync. Open/Closing 1Password app, restarting Mac, etc. nothing to the rescue.

How do I trigger a local sync reliable???

• Boerny
    Boerny
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

I resolved this issue by doing the following:

• backup 1Password completely
    • delete the vault on the local folder of the Mac
    • reset sync information for the broken vault

It now syncs again.

Hopefully somebody at 1Password is reading this. THIS bahaviour is exactly WHY I dislike custom sync solutions. 1Password should and has to throw more debugging information to the user. Tell him, what might be wrong and where to look for help.

BTW: I'm only in trouble with this, because 1Password is limited to 1 vault sync with iCloud instead of multiple. This is obviously to protect their subscription model. However, I would continue to pay my yearly fee, while having a good local sync solution or leveraging my preferred storage share service.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @Boerny! It's great to hear that things are working again for you.

However, I would continue to pay my yearly fee, while having a good local sync solution or leveraging my preferred storage share service.

We do not recommend doing this as it's quite complicated to setup and to troubleshoot, but this is possible if that's what you want ;)

This discussion has been closed.