Improvements to show large type feature in both Mac and Windows clients

pjarosak
pjarosak
Community Member

I'd like to see the following two enhancements to this feature.

1) Remember the position and monitor it was last on.
2) Rescale when moved from one monitor to another that are at different resolutions.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pjarosak,

Just so we can create an accurate record can you let me know what version of 1Password X you're have please along with what browsers you use. Both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows, our native applications have large type options so I want to make sure there's no mistake over what is displaying the password.

• pjarosak
    pjarosak
    Community Member

Mac - 7.1.2 - Chrome 69.0.3497.100
    Windows 7.2.581 - Chrome 70.0.3538.67

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @pjarosak,

So those are the versions for the native applications. Is your request related to them rather than the standalone 1Password X extension?

I just want to make sure that anything filed is in the correct location. You posted in the section for 1Password X which is a standalone extension that doesn't require the native application and it has a large type feature like the native applications. It's very separate from the native applications though so even though both it and 1Password for Mac and Windows all have the feature, there could be a bug in one that isn't present in the others. Basically we've got the same feature in three very different sets of code.

• pjarosak
    pjarosak
    Community Member

I use all 3, but generally use the stand alone applications for this feature as it’s needed when entering into a separate system or app that is not chrome. Most common use case for me is for remote access sessions that have copy and paste disabled.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @pjarosak,

So you're seeing an issue in scaling with both native applications, 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows when you move between screens? I'm wondering if maybe a screenshot of what you're seeing can help me understand how 1Password isn't working right for you. You wouldn't want to do so using a real item of course but if you created a dummy Login item with a made up password I'm hoping maybe that will allow you to safely create a screenshot that highlights what you're seeing without any real details being visible given this is a public support forum.

If you haven't before, I find the site How to take a screenshot great for how to create a screenshot and they have steps for various platforms.

• pjarosak
    pjarosak
    Community Member

I hope the request for opening to the last closed position is self explanatory. This definitely applies to both Mac and Windows.

I haven’t tested the other issue on Windows with two monitors. I just assume it behaves the same.

Attached are screenshots from my Mac. Note the Mac monitor is not the primary monitor. Work around is to drag 1Password over to the other monitor and open it but it’s annoying. You can see that they aren’t the same resolution and the password is cut off when dragged from one screen to another.

Primary monitor that 1Password runs on

Secondary monitor (Macbook screen)

Primary monitor after dragging window with display details

Secondary monitor after dragging window with display details. Password is cut off

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pjarosak,

Now I have enough details in order to reproduce :smile:

Dragging the Large Type window can see part of it cut off if moving from one screen to another and where the destination has a lower resolution.

Here are some other behaviours though that are worth noting.

1. Accessing the main window always defaults to my primary screen but I find this is true for other applications as well. So far I haven't been able to have macOS open an application while the secondary screen has focus and have it open on that screen.
    2. 1Password mini. When using the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ 1Password mini follows the active screen. If you click on the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar 1Password mini follows which screen the icon was clicked on.
    3. While the Large Type window doesn't dynamically adjust itself if dragged between screens it will be scaled appropriately for the screen it is opened on. So if you access Large Type via 1Password mini it should be following the active screen.

I don't know how easy or hard it would be to adjust the Large Type view as its moved between screens but I do know that for any chance of seeing developer time we'd need to understand why the current behaviour is a reoccurring problem, in other words why/how you often end up in the position where you've interacted with 1Password on one screen and then need to move the Large Type view to another. This is just as important as the technical details that we've now fleshed out because whenever bugs or feature requests are considered who is impacted and why are factors that are included in any decision.

• pjarosak
    pjarosak
    Community Member

Any time i’m in a full screen application, so 33% of the time approximately that I need this feature I have to remember to move 1Password over to the other screen and reopen it. Hopefully others find this and have the same problem.

Is the feature of opening to the last location possible?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pjarosak - indeed, it's likely to be possible - nearly anything is possible...the questions are more ones of available developer time, relative priority, security concerns, and numerous other things. Thanks for telling us your use-case, however! :)

• pjarosak
    pjarosak
    Community Member

Guess I should have asked, likely to happen.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pjarosak - I don't make those decisions, so I really can't say for certain. But I'll definitely pass along your request to the development team. :)

This discussion has been closed.