Password transfer from Safari 12.0 to 1Password 7.2.1

titta
titta
Community Member

Hello.
I'm a new user.
I would like to transfer my password stored on Safari for Mac with Mojave to 1Password 7.2.1 by subscription.
It seems a difficult operation and I have not found clear indications on the web.
Can you indicate an easily accessible procedure?
Thank you

1Password Version: 7.21
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @titta! The best option I have available for that specific setup would be using one of our forum moderators' (@MrC) tools, the GetSafariPasswords_12 script. You can find it in this thread; let us know if you run into any difficulties. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@titta,

I'm happy to help guide you through the process. The script @Lars refers to has instructions here, and those refer to a few other posts. I would love to get your feedback on any issues.

Because the script is new, I have not yet incorporated it into the entire converter suite set of tools yet, but it is functional now.

Apple has made this process more and more difficult with each of the past 3 releases of macOS.

• jets8nelson
    jets8nelson
    Community Member

Hi!
    This works great for exporting Safari passwords. Does anyone know how to import passwords to Safari to get them into an iCloud Keychain? Apple support can't seem to figure out how I can add new items to iCloud Keychain that sync between Mac and iPhone. Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2018

@jets8nelson ,

Sorry, maybe this is a silly question, but why bother if you are using 1Password to sync your passwords across your Apple devices?

• jets8nelson
    jets8nelson
    Community Member

@MrC I like having some semblance of password parity across different pw management platforms in the event one is not working or inaccessible due to an update etc.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@jets8nelson ,

You don't access iCloud Keychain directly. Apps that use the Keychain interface with it through an API, and then those local items get synced to iCloud. When you disable iCloud Keychain, items are stored locally in a separate keychain.

The platforms have different features and metadata - you'll never get parity. Worse, iCloud Keychain can become corrupt, and syncing will fail for one or more items, and there's no user interface to discover this. You have to then disable iCloud Keychain and often remove the entire Keychain.

iCloud Keychain should be thought of as a convenience, not as robust password management software.

Every time you export, you're doing so in Plain Text which is a security risk. And obviously, maintaining synchronization is a very manual error-prone process.

I think you're chasing a non-issue and perhaps have a solution looking for a problem.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2018

That said...

Let me provide you with a link that may help you:

https://github.com/PaperKup/csv-toicloudkeychain

I don't think it will work, however, with Safari 12.

You could invert the basic operation of my GetSafariPasswords_Safari12 script, located in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the converter suite thread.

• jets8nelson
    jets8nelson
    Community Member

The link is exactly what I was looking for but you're right about Safari 12 messing it up. I just committed to a 3rd party manager and was hesitant to completely forgo keychain after using it for so long but alas you are right..

• jets8nelson
    jets8nelson
    Community Member
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jets8nelson - thanks for following up; I'm glad you're squared away with 1Password now. I'd also strongly urge you not to attempt what you were trying to do; there's just no need for it, and the possibilities for things going awry are significant. Hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.