Migrating from 1Password6 > 1Password7

marco_o
marco_o
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

Hi, I'm a 1Password user since 4. I've Mac and iOS (1 iphone, 2 ipad and 2 Mac) and i'm using iCloud sync with just 1 vault. I'm interested to upgrade the Mac 1Password to last release (7.2.1) joining the subscription plan. What will happen to my current vault? What will happen to iCloud sync and what will happen to my iOS devices?
I know that the subscription plan will use your cloud instead iCloud, and i've seen that the iOS application have preferences concerning 1Password account.
I think that a "step by step" guide will help users that have both iOS and Mac application (and iCloud sync).

Currently my iOS version is the last one available 7.2.1 and the Mac version is the 6.8.9 (from App Store).

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @marco_o! If you've got macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) installed and 1Password 6 for Mac, this should be pretty simple:

1. Download 1Password 7 for Mac from our downloads page.
    2. In 1Password 6 for Mac, make a backup of your current data by clicking File > Backup (just in case).
    3. Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    4. Run the 1Password 7 for Mac installer.
    5. When 1Password 7 for Mac launches, your existing 1Password 6 for Mac data will be imported and you'll see the lock screen. Enter your Master Password (the same one you used in 1Password 6 for Mac, and you'll see your data briefly.
    6. Over your data, you'll see a pop-up that looks like this:
    7. Click the large green "Subscribe Today" button, and you'll be walked through the process of creating a 1password.com account.
    8. Enter your email address and receive your six-digit code via email. Enter the code.
    9. Create your Master Password. Important -- you can choose a different Master Password for this data if you wish, but you may also choose the same one you currently use, if you think it is strong and secure. Whatever the case, make sure you don't forget it.
    10. You'll see an image like this one to copy your items from your current 1(iCloud synced) vault over into your new 1password.com account's vault:
    11. Click "Copy Items" and you'll see a progress circle while items are being copied. When it finishes, this will be replaced by a button that says "Take me to my vault."
    12. Clicking that button will give you a pop-up asking if you want to remove your old local vaults. Click "Remove Vaults." You'll get another pop-up that tells you some number of items (however many you had previously) are about to be deleted. Don't panic; remember, they've already been copied into the 1password.com vault. Enter your old Master Password (that you used with 1Password 6 for Mac), and the new one (if it is different), and you should be all set.

A few other things you should know: first, you'll want to sign into your account in a browser at https://my.1password.com to do two things: print out (or save your Emergency Kit, and also add a payment method. Don't worry, you'll get a free month (every 1password.com account has 30 days free trial, so enjoy!) -- but we do need a payment method, so go ahead and add one in the Billing section. To sign into your account, you'll need the above URL, your email address, your Master Password and the Secret Key -- you can copy the latter from within 1Password 7 for Mac's Preferences > Accounts.

Finally, you'll need to switch all your other devices over to the new account. To do that, just follow these instructions, and you should have the same data (your 1password.com account) everywhere. :)

• marco_o
    marco_o
    Community Member

Thanks so much Lars,

I'll follow your "step by step" guide soon (probably tomorrow).
    I've just two questions concerning 1Password 7:

1) may I save / restore a vault backup file as in the 6 version?
    2) I suppose that every devices (iOS and macOS) will keep a "local" (synchronised) copy of the vault so I can use the stored info also if I've no internet connection, isn't it?

I think that the answer to the second question is YES... because 1Password 6 have a local vault file and use iCloud as a "master" to keep all devices in sync, and I think that your cloud have the same functionality (and more).

Thanks
    Marco

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@marco_o - yes, there is a local cache of the data, which is what allows you to use it even when you don't have an internet connection. Because that's the case, you don't really need to make an additional backup; the local cache on each device acts as a sort of local backup. Not a true one, because you can't "restore" from it...but that's kind of the point: you don't need to restore, it's already there. And the 1password.com servers make backups on the server for you, so the local data is only for the unlikely event that 1Password servers are down, or whatever. In a worst-case scenario, if we just vanished as a company one day, you could unlock 1Password on any device, turn on standalone vaults, transfer your 1password.com data into the standalone vault you created, and never miss a step.

• marco_o
    marco_o
    Community Member

Hi Lars, i've just upgraded to 1Password7 on mi iMac (primary computer) then my iOS devices without problems.

But I've some problems on my old Macs:

1) my "old" MacBook (running El Capitan) is not compatible with 1Password7: how can I keep it in sync?

2) on my "old" MacMini (running High Sierra) I've stopped 1Password6, installed 1Password7 and I've tried to follow the steps described in https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices but...

• i've signed in using the new account - OK
    • switched vault from "Principale" (iCloud) to "Personal" via menu - OK
    • there is NO delete vault command in menu! - ??????

The only "delete" is on the left dark bar of the 1Password7 window! Clicking the top-most icon (referring my account) the app will list all the vaults: the first one is the one on your cloud and the second one (at the bottom of the list) is the old iCloud vault. There is the 3 dot icon that open a popup with the DELETE command.

The app open an alert window and asked me to type the NAME of the vault to delete but at the end it show me the following error (in Italian) "la cassaforte principale non può essere eliminata" = the vault "principale" can't be deleted!!!

• marco_o
    marco_o
    Community Member

I've SOLVED the delete vault problem: i have to select the vault "Principale" from the left dark panel and THEN go to vault menu and select DELETE!

The instructions are not clear and not easy to understand... but the important thing is that the problem is solved :-)

Please... any suggestion to keep in sync the old MacBook with 1Password6? May I use my "main" iMac as a server to keep the old MacBook in sync?

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@marco_o - sorry for the confusion. Yes, deleting the Primary vault by using the Vault menu will remove it. You don't need to be running the same exact version of 1Password for Mac everywhere to keep your data synced. You should be able to install 1Password 6 for Mac onto your Mac running El Capitan, and sign into your 1password.com account. I can't say for how much longer that will work, but it works for now and the immediate future. Again, unless there is data on that older (El Capitan) Mac that is NOT synced up yet, you can just wipe the data entirely (because you already imported it on the first Mac) by Starting Over in 1Password 6 for Mac. When you re-launch it the first time after doing so, it will be as if you are a new user. Choose the 1password.com account option, and sign into your account, and you'll be all set. :)

• marco_o
    marco_o
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Thanks Lars, I'll try (tomorrow)... but I've not seen any "account" icon in preferences of the old MacBook!
    I'll see better tomorrow: dinner time now!

(i've just read the thread title... "Migrating from 1Password7 > 1Password7" there is a mistake! :-D The right one should be from 6 to 7!!!)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@marco_o

(i've just read the thread title... "Migrating from 1Password7 > 1Password7" there is a mistake! :-D The right one should be from 6 to 7!!!)

Fixed. :)

Let me know how things go for you. If there's no "Accounts" tab of 1Password's Preferences, you may not be running 1Password 6 for Mac. Check to be sure.

• marco_o
    marco_o
    Community Member

Hi Lars, i've found the solution, but was not easy to discover. 1Password6 have no account panel in the preferences, but have an "account" menu... with the same function. After the account configuration (using the QR code :-) the problem was how delete the old vault? There are NO delete command everywhere! NO DELETE command!!
    I started disabling the iCloud sync but the old vault was still there!

Today I've tried again, searching a way to delete it and i've found a "suspected" check box in the "advanced" panel inside preferences (see attached image). That checkbox is disabled in my iMac but was enabled on the old Macbook (I think that the configuration of 1Password account had enable it).

Disabling it, the old vault disappeared... (after an alert and typing the master password).

So... all is working fine: all devices are in sync using 1Password account: all using the most recent 1Password app except the old MacBook (OSX El Capitan) that use 1Password 6.8.9.

Thanks
    Marco

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@marco_o - glad to hear you solved the problem. :)

• marco_o
    marco_o
    Community Member

Hi Lars, I've tried to contact support since more than a week and I sent several mail: no answer at all. There was a problem on the payment methods (as described in detail inside my email): I'd like to solve the issue and pay (for one year subscription). Today I decided to downgrade to 1Password 6, delete the vault and the account. I hope that you will not charge anything on my credit card. You can contact me via email if you need any details or a feedback (I'm using 1Password since 1Password3 so you should have my personal email).
    Bye

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@marco_o - hi, sorry for the delay in our response. Our email system is answered in the order we receive emails. When you reply to yourself (if none of us have answered yet), it pushes you to the back of the line again, because the "most-recent' time stamp is reset. One of us will be with you shortly via email.

ref: NZY-24223-892

• marco_o
    marco_o
    Community Member

Hi Lars, my first email was on 29 november, then 2 december, and via WEB form on 4 december and today: these are the #:
    [#NZY-24223-892]
    [#FCK-82654-418]
    [#NJJ-39936-593]

I've deleted the account and downgraded to 1Password6 on all devices: fell free to contact me (via email) for any details (or feedback concerning 1Password7) but my decision is definitive.
    I decided to write here because i've no other way to contact someone of the team.
    Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@marco_o - looks like you've been in contact with one of my colleagues via email. Let's keep the conversation going that way, rather than in two places at once.

This discussion has been closed.