Find duplicate passwords of the current selection?

philrob
philrob
Community Member

When the duplicate password banner is shown Is there an easy way to see which entry or entries are duplicates of the currently selected password? and just those duplicates, nothing else?

1P is showing 212 duplicates at the moment 95%+ of these don't matter (negligible value or for servers/devices inside my network) some might (though probably just a duplicate of a record with a couple of notes added) Some duplicates will be because the identical entry is in different vaults (copy vs move)

If the duplicate warning shows on what I think could be an 'important' record it would be nice to check there and then.

If there isn't an easy way to find just those duplicates (right mouse click on banner or on the duplicate 'ring' doesn't do anything) please can this be added to a feature request

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: High Sierra
Sync Type: 1p
Referrer: forum-search:show duplicate banner

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@philrob - funny you should ask that question. :) 1Password 7 for Mac came with a substantial strengthening/upgrade to the Watchtower feature, adding new categories like integration with Troy Hunt's haveibeenpwned site, and other improvements. One of these was the Reused Passwords feature which, while not new, was made more prominent in version 7. Since launching it, we've received feedback regarding how people are using it in the real world, and ways in which it might be made better. So, in the upcoming version 7.2.2 which is due to be released in the not-too-distant future, there are refinements to the Reused Passwords feature of Watchtower. these include:

1. There is now a button at the top to see other instances where a password is used (and open them)
    2. Generated Password/Saved Login combos no longer flagged as re-used - if you have a generated password saved and you save a Login item with the same URL & password, it will no longer be flagged as re-used.
    3. Items with the same URL/password no longer flagged (i.e. - copies in multiple accounts/vaults). In other words, copying a Login or Password item from one vault into another will result in two separate items, but they will not be flagged as duplicates/re-used.

I think #1 on that list addresses most of what you were talking about. 7.2.2 should be released in the stable channel...soon, barring any surprises, but if you'd like to get your hands on the changes right now, they're available in the betas already -- you can click Preferences > Updates and check the "Include Beta Builds" box, or download the full installer of 7.2.2.BETA-4 directly from here if you prefer. Hope that helps! :)

• philrob
    philrob
    Community Member

Hello Lars thanks for the response. Glad to hear 'which are the duplicates of this one' is coming soon.

I suspect the next request you will be getting when that ships is 'how do I snooze the duplicate warning' - for situations where the user has deliberately (and intentionally) re-used passwords.

If snooze or hide warnings is planned, I would argue that 'snooze duplicate warning for xx days' where xx is defined in preferences would be a better option than being able to permanently 'ignore' a duplicate warning.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@philrob - we're definitely still in the "let's wait and see what use-cases are" phase of this, as well as seeing how much of the current noise drops off as a result of this not-yet-released 7.2.2 update. Stay tuned! :)

This discussion has been closed.