Show in menu bar option won't stay off

ross_smith
ross_smith
Community Member

I don't want the 1password icon in the menu bar, but it keeps coming back. Every time 1password is updated, the option switches itself back on and I have to turn it off again.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ross_smith - I'm sorry for the trouble, but I'm also unable to replicate that behavior here. If you click Preferences > Browsers and un-check the box marked "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running," that preference should remain in place across updates, presuming you're using the recommended method of installing updates (clicking 1Password > Check for Updates, or allowing the auto-updater to work). Is that not what's happening.

• ross_smith
    ross_smith
    Community Member

That seems a strange way to do it - what do browser settings have to do with it? Why would it even occur to anyone that that particular switch would cause the menu bar icon to be re-enabled? And what if I want to keep using 1password with browsers but I don't want it in the menu bar? Why do those completely unrelated choices have to be tied together?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ross_smith - the 1Password Extension Helper (mini) has been a feature of 1Password since version 4. I haven't kept any sort of direct count, but I'd estimate that we get at least five hundred requests to be able to use 1Password functionality in browsers without having to open the main app, for every one like yours that wants the reverse: 1Password functionality in browsers without having to open the mini; far more people find the large window of the main app obtrusive than find the tiny menubar icon obtrusive.

However, since tastes vary, you can also click Preferences > General and un-check the box marked "Show 1Password in the menu bar."

• ross_smith
    ross_smith
    Community Member

I still don't know why you keep talking about browsers. The browser integration works fine and I have no complaints about it.

"However, since tastes vary, you can also click Preferences > General and un-check the box marked "Show 1Password in the menu bar.""

But that's exactly what I'm saying isn't working! It doesn't stay unchecked, it checks itself again every time 1password is updated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ross_smith: If you disable 1Password mini, browser integration will not work fine. That's why Lars is talking about that. I'm sorry for the confusion.

You say "every time 1Password is updated", but we haven't had many updates for a while and also have not had other reports from you or anyone else until now about this. That's why it's a bit perplexing. Can you tell me when this has happened to you exactly? I wonder if there's some permissions issue there that's contributing to this, as I'm not seeing the behaviour you're describing either. Makes it a bit hard to troubleshoot, so thanks for your patience. :)

• ross_smith
    ross_smith
    Community Member

I wasn't aware that I had disabled 1password mini. I don't think I have, it still seems to work. The option in preferences just says "Show 1password in the menu bar", there's no hint that anything else is affected. I still have "Always keep 1password extension helper running" switched on. Is that combination not supported or something? I wasn't trying to disable any functionality, just clean up my menu bar a bit. The toolbar icon on Safari already does the same thing so I didn't see any point in duplicating it.

The last update was last Wednesday, that's when I noticed this. I wouldn't swear that it's happened on every single update but I know this wasn't the first time.

• Hi @ross_smith ,

We're still trying to get to the bottom of this. First, no, "Always keep 1Password extension helper running" and "Show 1Password in the menu bar" should operate independently. Can you keep an eye on this, and let us know when it comes back on. For example, the first launch after updating, when using a browser the first time after updating, first unlock, etc.

Thanks,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.