Not accepting master password, cannot open

kcoyle
kcoyle
Community Member

I'm on Mac Mohave (10.14). When I upgraded, 1password stopped recognizing my master password, so I cannot open it. I upgraded to 1password 7. It still did not recognize my password. I dragged 1password to the trash then reinstalled. The new install has found my account but the install "add this account" also does not recognize my password.

1Password Version: 7.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• kcoyle
    kcoyle
    Community Member

Note: I can sign in online with my master password - the same one that the app rejects on Mac Mohave.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @kcoyle! I'm sorry for the confusion. It sounds as if you may have created a 1password.com account at some point along the line, and used a different Master Password than the one you were previously using in your standalone 1Password setup. Could that be possible? You provided a sync type of "iCloud" above, but please check Preferences > Vaults in 1Password for Mac and tell me what you see there? How many vaults do you have, and what are their names?

• kcoyle
    kcoyle
    Community Member

No, the passwords have always been the same. I can't open Preferences > Vaults because I can't log in. Would I see that in the web version? When I sign in online I just see one vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kcoyle - thanks for the clarification. What is the current status of things? When you sign into your account in a browser, do you see all of your data? Or is some of it missing, in your opinion?

• kcoyle
    kcoyle
    Community Member

In the browser it is all there. It's just on the Mac that I can't log on.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kcoyle - ok, if you're certain all of your data is contained within your 1password.com account, and it's only the local 1Password app that's not working, then do this: in 1Password for Mac, click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. Be careful, this will do what it says: delete all your data. The next time you launch 1Password for Mac, it will be as if you are a brand new user; just sign into your 1password.com account, and you should be all set to go.

• pdase
    pdase
    Community Member

Lars,
    It still wants the password.

• pdase
    pdase
    Community Member

Lars,
    It still wants the password. Should I sign up for trial version. Will I ever get my account sorted out if I do that?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @pdase! Since these are your first posts here, I'm not really quite sure how best to assist you. Can you tell me:

• what specific version of 1Password for Mac you are currently running?
    • what specific version of macOS you're running?
    • what specific version of 1Password extension in your browser you're using (and which browser)?
    • what specific version of your browser you're using?
    • what you mean by "it still wants the password?" (what does: 1Password for Mac? A website? 1password.com in a browser?
    • anything else you think might be important that could help us narrow down the issue you're having.

Thanks! :)

• pdase
    pdase
    Community Member

Mojave 10.14.1
    The extension is 7.2.2
    Version of 1password is 7.2.2
    When I try to start over with a new account, the website asks for the password.

Safari 12.01

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pdase - thanks for the clarification. As I mentioned in my other reply to you in a different thread, let's keep the conversation going via email. One of us will be with you shortly. Thanks. :)

This discussion has been closed.