Clean system install & migration question

Bambooken
Bambooken
Community Member

I've been running 1Password since day 1. I'm currently using 6.8.9. I do not want to pay for a monthly membership just yet. I am about to install a new internal drive followed by a clean system install and clean install of all my apps, including 1Password. I have located a file named License.onepassword-licence.

My Questions:

• Is this the license I will need to get back up and running with 1Password once installed on my new drive?
  • Is it possible to upgrade to 1Password 7 without getting into a monthly membership?
  • As long as I keep my Vault (on DropBox) intact and safe, will it sync up with my new 1Password install?
  • Is it best to use my current version (6.8.9) for my migration to the new drive, then upgrade to 7?
  • If yes to the above, then where do I download the most current version of v.6.xx?

Thank you for a great product!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.13
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Bambooken! Glad to see you here after thirteen years, if you've been with us since day one. :)

Is this the license I will need to get back up and running with 1Password once installed on my new drive?

Yes. Make sure you save a copy of it, to use on the new(ly-wiped/installed) drive. If you keep a Time Machine (or other) copy of your previous hard drive, this will be easy, but if you don't have the available hard drive space or inclination to do that, definitely make sure you have a copy of this file to install into your new setup.

Is it possible to upgrade to 1Password 7 without getting into a monthly membership?

Yes. We sell standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac, just as we always have. After you install it (note: from us, NOT from the Mac App Store), the first time you launch the new version it should import the previous version's data, then offer you a purchase options screen that includes both the membership option and a standalone license purchase option.

As long as I keep my Vault (on DropBox) intact and safe, will it sync up with my new 1Password install?

It depends on what format your Dropbox sync keychains are in. In 1Password 7 for Mac, we formally sunset the older Agile Keychain format. It was great in its day -- but (you may be a bit shocked to hear this) it was introduced over ten years ago. If you're a long-time user and you've never taken the opportunity to convert your keychain to the new OPVault format, you'll want to do that first, on your current 1Password 6 for Mac setup. You'll need to do it for each vault, but only once. Then, when you install 1Password 7 for Mac, you'll be able to just resume operations normally.

Is it best to use my current version (6.8.9) for my migration to the new drive, then upgrade to 7?

No, if you upgrade to OPVault, you should be able to install 1Password 7 for Mac cleanly. There's no particular advantage to having 1Password 6 for Mac data on your new, squeaky-clean drive.

Thank you for a great product!

Thank YOU for being a long-time user. I do have one more piece of advice, and that is: if you're even considering a 1password.com membership, I wouldn't purchase a standalone license of 1Password 7 for Mac unless you know you won't be switching to a membership for at least a year. Buying a license now - even at the "launch special" pricing of $49.99 - seems like kind of a waste of money if you're just going to switch to a 1password.com membership in a couple months or so, since all 1password.com memberships include all four of our native applications. I'm not trying to force you to switch to a membership if you're not ready yet, and of course we'll take your money if you purchase a license -- just trying to save you a few bucks. If you have any questions about 1password.com membership, I'd be happy to answer them for you.

• Bambooken
    Bambooken
    Community Member

Lars,
    Thank you for your detailed response. You answered all my questions and this is very helpful. I do have a Timemachine back up but after a few years of OS x upgrades, I'm looking to create a squeaky clean new drive (SSD) and system. Hopefully, cleaning my system of all the detritus of past systems.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Lars, you're most welcome. I'm thinking about doing something similar when I get a new Mac. It can be really liberating to have a "clean slate". Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.