To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Lost master password. How do I start over?

mikeyoung00
mikeyoung00
Community Member

Lost my master password before I finished up. Need to start over.
-I have already been billed
-I have the original PDF of my 1Password emergency kit
-So I have my secret key
-I have not used 1Password so far
-I do not have a 1Password application in Windows
-I do not have a 1Password folder in %LOCALAPPDATA@\
-When I go to the 1Password logon screen, my identification IS displayed as follows:
mikeyoung
ATSIGN aol.com
NN-XXXXXX •••••• ••••• ••••• ••••• ••••• (Where NN-XXXXXX is the beginning of my secret key.

How do I fix this?

1Password Version: na
Extension Version: na
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: na

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @mikeyoung00! I'm sorry for the trouble. If you've forgotten your Master Password, I'd suggest you have a go at some of the steps here to see if it's something simple like a CAPSLOCK key or perhaps you can jigger your memory.

If you're absolutely certain your Master Password is gone for good (and this isn't a 1Password Families or 1Password Teams account where an Administrator or Family Organizer can help recover your account, then you'll need to shoot an email to our sales department at sales@1password.com as we don't conduct that kind of sensitive and personally-identifying operation here on this public forum. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you being able to remember your Master Password! :)

• mikeyoung00
    mikeyoung00
    Community Member

Thanks for the email link, Lars. I will try to locate the hard copy of my emergency kit which should have the master password noted on it. Failing that I will email the sales team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just to clarify, an Emergency Kit PDF does not include the Master Password, as it is not saved anywhere. But if you filled it out after printing it, you'll be all set. Not everyone does that because some prefer to keep their Master Password only in their brain. :)

This discussion has been closed.