Date format is incorrect in 1Password for Mac

Options
1234568»

Comments

• paulgrav
    paulgrav
    Community Member
    Options

I just encountered this issue for the first time and raised a support issue. This issue seems like it’s common to all Electron-based apps... I’ve yet to encounter a single one that handles date/times correctly.

I’m wondering if it’s related to this bug, one that was raised 6yrs ago: https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/13023#issuecomment-418581463

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member
    edited January 22
    Options

After changing my primary language from 'English' to 'English (UK)' (region Netherlands) in MacOS System Settings, I can confirm the date representation changed from 'American' to 'British'.

• pixelmachine
    pixelmachine
    Community Member
    Options

Good find @paulgrav

Perhaps 1Password devs could fix the Electron bug and fix a bunch of apps? That's supposed to be benefit and the beauty of Open Source software.

• @Erik1P

Thanks for the confirmation and for sharing your settings.

For more details on the work that our developers are doing to resolve this issue please see my post here. I've passed along everyone's comments to the team.

-Dave

• fok
    fok
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I just noticed that the release notes for 8.10.28 for both macOS and Windows state:

"The language and date formatting for item creation and modification dates now respect your operating system’s locale settings."

They still don't. I see no change in behavior on both macOS and Windows. Both systems are set to English (US) and locale is set to German:

macOS 14.4:

Windows 11 Pro 23H2:

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

I don’t understand this, why is the team looking to have date as per the system only? Just ask it to pickup details and show your format with all possible options? On my Mac if I choose India then I don’t get format DDMMMYYYY. This is what I want to avoid any kind of confusion or error with date. The month has to be in words only.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@fok and @vishalsheth

I'm sorry for the confusion, I've flagged this to the team and the release note has been updated:

Created and modified dates for items are now formatted according to your operating system’s language settings and standards specified by the Unicode Consortium.

This is part of the work being done by our development team to improve how dates are handled in 1Password but there is more work to be done. Thank you for pinging me so that we could get the note corrected.

-Dave

• paulgrav
    paulgrav
    Community Member
    Options

My passport expiry dates reverted to the wrong format in iOS, again.

It’s currently too dangerous for me to use 1Pass for storing/retrieving my passport data. If 1Pass is having such trouble reliably retrieving system preferences then why not have an override in 1Pass settings where I can explicitly set YYYY-MM-DD?

Perhaps I, the user, should stop using date/time field types and covert the fields to text?

• fok
    fok
    Community Member
    edited March 20
    Options

@Dave_1P, the new wording is even more confusing now as it's unclear whether "your operating system's language settings" includes regional/locale formatting settings or not. I think most users would assume so, but it seems like in this case it's not.

If I understand you correctly, the development team acknowledges that currently date/time formatting is wrongly derived from the interface language of the operating system, cleared some stuff up internally in 8.10.28, and will fix this in a future release by adopting the regional/locale formatting settings of the operating system?

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member
    Options

It's also still broken for macOS 14.3.1. My passport dates are still displayed in US format, despite my system settings. Sigh. Hard to believe that this problem has persisted so long.

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

why are we relying on the system date format? Why can't 1password give the formats directly?

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello folks,

The change in version 8.10.28 is part of our development team's larger efforts to improve how dates are handled in the 1Password apps on all platforms. This particular update only applies these changes to created and modified dates as noted in the release notes:

Created and modified dates for items are now formatted according to your operating system’s language settings and standards specified by the Unicode Consortium.

The issue to fix date formatting for things like Passport item expiry dates is still open with our development team.

-Dave

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

When I'm viewing a card the date format is MM/DD/YY. When I edit the same, it is DD/MM/YYYY. Why? This is on Mac.

On iPhone it's viewing a card the date format is MM/DD/YY. When I edit the same, it is DD MMM YYYY.

On Android it's viewing a card the date format is YYYY-MM-DD. When I edit the same, it is DD/MM/YYYY.

I fail to understand this different formats on different operating systems.

• rshell
    rshell
    Community Member
    Options

Confirming the issue in Mac OS. Date is set to DD.MM.YYYY, 1pass shows as MM.DD.YY.

• SAMdLaw
    SAMdLaw
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I understand the team efforts to handle dates but an option in setting might help. Some prefer DDMMYYYY while others might prefer DDMMMYYYY or MMDDYYYY. Similarly, for time it may be OK for some to use 12hr and others will prefer 24hr. It should take system setting but if not then user should be able to override in settings. It helps if people move to other country for work or have personal preference as well as keep it consistent across platforms.

• VincentBounce
    VincentBounce
    Community Member
    Options

Also, it would be perfect to align all dates with the same format (for example the short one on macOS), instead of having 1 format for passkey date, 1 another format for field date, 1 another format for created date... Example:

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thanks everyone, I've passed all of your comments and reports to the team. Thank you for hanging in there while the team continues the work to bring complete consistency to dates in 1Password 8.

-Dave

• sema
    sema
    Community Member
    Options

After changing my language to English (UK) the date format is fixed. Finally!

• sema
    sema
    Community Member
    Options

@hsafer @fok @paulgrav try changing your language to English (UK) and restart the app.

• nciiis
    nciiis
    Community Member
    Options

How can this still be an issue in 2024?

Electron

Oh. Right. 🤦

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member
    Options

Wow! It works! Even without changing my language to English (UK). Hooray!

• fok
    fok
    Community Member
    edited April 22
    Options

@sema, you mean changing system language, right? I can also change languages in 1Password itself, but there is no "English (UK)", and changing that to German or Spanish for example doesn't change anything.

However changing the system language is not a fix, it just shows what the bug is all about: System language should have no effect on date and time formats. That's what local/region settings are for.

Changing system language from English (US) to English (UK) is not something I want to do, as it has other undesired effects, e.g. renaming "Trash" to "Bin", ...

• fok
    fok
    Community Member
    Options

@hsafer what do you mean? @sema wrote only about changing the language to English (UK). if you didn't do that what did you do?

• hsafer
    hsafer
    Community Member
    Options

@fok I simply looked at 1Password after I saw the message from @sema, and I saw that the dates appear correctly.
    I recently got a new computer, so this is a new installation of 1Password. I don't know if that matters.