To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Tried to migrate date to new Family subscription account - Now I am locked out of online account

lwthomas1
lwthomas1
Community Member

I just setup a new Family subscription account to replace our longstanding Family account so we could upgrade to 1Password 7. I succeeded in getting it setup and got the Emergency kit. However when I went to migrate my data from my account on my Mac I ended up getting locked out of my online account completely. I followed the instructions to the letter, so I am not sure what is going on. Nothing seems to work. It asked me for me Master Password and I enter it and it says incorrect, which it is not.

Please advise as we need to get this up and running to get on 1Password 7 due to the Google changes.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

If you still have your local vault in place (which you most likely have), you unlock the local App with your "old" Masterpassword, not with the one you set for your family subscription.

Or do you mean you cannot login via the online login (Url in Emergency kit)?

• Hello @lwthomas1,

When logging into https://my.1password.com you are locked out of the new family account? If it's just the MacOS app then peacekeeper might be right about the app still requiring the master password for your older account.

Please let us know and we will help get you back into the account.

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

I had set my new Master Password to be the same on the web account. I have the login and the printed copy of the Secret Key and the Master Password didn't change unless I somehow had typo. I can still login to my existing app on the machine. I was trying to migrate to a family account and go to IOS 7. It seems that there is no longer a non-subscription "Family" plan going forward. What is the best solution. I did not want to delete my Family plan as one of the post suggested as I was not sure what "data" would get deleted,

Thanks, Larry

• Thanks, @lwthomas1. Could you please clarify this point for me, though:

Are you able to successfully log in at https://my.1password.com/ in a web browser?

Ben

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

I had set my new Master Password to be the same on the web account. I have the login and the printed copy of the Secret Key and the Master Password didn't change unless I somehow had typo. I can still login to my existing app on the machine. I was trying to migrate to a family account and go to IOS 7. It seems that there is no longer a non-subscription "Family" plan going forward. What is the best solution. I did not want to delete my Family plan as one of the post suggested as I was not sure what "data" would get deleted,

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

No I am not.

• Okay. Thank you for clarifying.

I can still login to my existing app on the machine.

If you look in 1Password on the machine you have access to it on do you see a login item for 1Password.com? If so do the details on that item match what you're trying to log in to https://my.1password.com/ with?

Ben

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

No. The only 1Password accounts on my current vault are some beta accounts for 1Password4 and 1Password6. When I do attempt yo login to the web account it tells me that my email, secret key, or Master Password is incorrect.

Larry

• @lwthomas1

In that case the only way forward is going to be to delete the 1Password Families membership which you do not have the correct credentials for and sign up for a new one. You can delete the old one following the steps on this page:

https://my.1password.com/support

Once deleted you can sign up for a new one here:

I would recommend doing so from a web browser on a computer connected to a printer so that you can print your Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Thanks!

Ben

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Ben,

First, I did print my Security Kit and have it in front of me each time I login. I also downloaded a copy of it. The only possibility is somehow something else went amiss or my Master Password. One thing worth noting you might consider looking into is that on one occasion it displayed the first set of 6 characters from my Secret key and the last 4 did not match my secret key that I printed out and used to input each time.

The bigger question. If I delete this is it save to assume that it will not touch my existing Mac account vault or the Vault data stored out in the cloud (Not yours). Once you can confirm that I will proceed.

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Thanks, Larry

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

One thing worth noting you might consider looking into is that on one occasion it displayed the first set of 6 characters from my Secret key and the last 4 did not match my secret key that I printed out and used to input each time.

@lwthomas1: It's not really something we can really "look into" since we never have your account credentials, but you can, and it's a good clue.

Make sure that you enter all of the credentials for the account exactly. You'll need to be at the correct Sign In Address, enter the email address you used to register for the account, enter the full Secret Key you were given, and the Master Password you setup during signup.

Note that there is a single restriction for the Master Password for a 1Password account: it must be at least 10 characters long. If the one you're trying to use is not, then that's not your Master Password.

If you've got a different Secret Key on your Emergency Kit than what you've entered on the website, that will be the problem.

The bigger question. If I delete this is it save to assume that it will not touch my existing Mac account vault or the Vault data stored out in the cloud (Not yours). Once you can confirm that I will proceed.

If your data in the app is in the Primary (local) vault ("On my Mac"), that is completely separate from any 1Password membership account, as it's stored only on the device.

I was trying to migrate to a family account and go to IOS 7. It seems that there is no longer a non-subscription "Family" plan going forward. What is the best solution. I did not want to delete my Family plan as one of the post suggested as I was not sure what "data" would get deleted,

That sounds like you may have signed up for multiple 1Password membership accounts -- 1Password Families, and perhaps an individual account as well. Is that maybe where there's some confusion with the Secret Key? It would be different between different accounts, as it's randomly generated. Let me know.

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

So that is the problem. My Master password is more than 10 characters. It did not warn of this or give me any guidance. I will try just the first 10 characters and see what happens.

So if that does not work, it sounds like deleting this online account will not touch my Mac account, which i pretty well knew that. Will it also not touch my could vault copy? Please just confirm that. If nothing is touched and the first 10 characters of the Master Password does not work, I will delete the account. I just don't want to make a bad situation worse.

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Sorry, I misread your comment about the master password. Mine is well more than 10 characters, so that is not it. I will try a couple of more times logging in. If that does not work and you can confirm that my data on my existing account, both local and cloud will be left untouched I will proceed with deleting the account.

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Brenty or Ben, I deleted my new online account. I was able to create a new account. However when I try and follow the procedure for migrating my data it does not work. I create the account and am able to login to it. I then logout. It tells me to login to my Mac where my existing account is and it will ask me to add this new account. However when I login to the existing account on my Mac it never ask me anything about the new account. The existing account is not a subscription account but a standard Family License and not a subscription of any type. Need to be able to migrate my existing data. Please advise.

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Brenty or Ben,

One thing I forgot to mention. I am still running on 1Password 6. I was told by Adam to upgrade my account first, migrate my data, and them upgrade to 1password 7.

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Ok. I was able to manually add the account to the MAC account and migrate my data. I did not delete the old data from my Mc account until I validate it. I immediately started having trouble with the web account. The first couple of times I attempted to login I get this error.

Cannot sign in.
    ServerError: User is deleted.

However the 3rd time I logged in I was successful at getting onto the account. Now I am unable to login again and get this error again. Does this possibly have something to do with the fact that I had to delete this account already in the process if trying to get it running. In any case it still is not functional. I see why you allow the 30 day free trial. At this rate it will take that long to even get the account functional.

Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

I am able to get into my account now. I ended up clearing my browser cache as there were old entries from the deleted account and secret key info. Now I will see about how to upgrade to 1password 7 and syncing to my cloud location.

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

So now that I have my account setup and I have updated to 1password 7 I have a question. I want to leave my devices and all syncing to one of my other cloud locations and not to 1Password and have the master vault on my computer. So to do that do I just need to delete the online vault I just uploaded and move ahead. If it is something else please advise.

Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Thanks, Larry

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lwthomas1

So that is the problem. My Master password is more than 10 characters.

I'm sorry? Your Master Password should very definitely be more than ten characters; that's the reason 1password.com accounts require they be at least that long. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you've said so far, that's not likely to be the problem. We don't cap your Master Password at ten characters, so entering only the first ten won't have any effect - at least, you aren't likely to be successful that way. If you've only just created your 1password.com account and there isn't any data in it yet and you're unable to sign into it in a browser at https://my.1password.com then there's no problem deleting it and starting over. You can delete it using the instructions at the link Ben provided earlier, and you can then create a new 1Password account. Assuming your actual 1Password data is still in your previous standalone Primary vault, you'll be able to move your data over easily. Let me know how that goes for you. :)

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Lars, sorry for all the updates. I have gotten past all of that. I have gotten my account registered and copied my vault and data to the new account. The one issue I have left is I would like to continue to sync my updates to my cloud account which is not 1password. How do I accomplish that and only have my vault reside on my computer and where I choose to sync it.

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

Thanks, Larry

• lwthomas1
    lwthomas1
    Community Member

So now that I have upgraded to 1Password 7 I have duplicate entries of every everything. When I connect with my IOS devices I see this as well. I know it is because I have my web vault as well as my Mac Primary vault. I performed a test and changed the name on one of my login entries on the Mac. As I look thru the entries I see that it differs from the other one (I assume the web interface). I would like to know what is the cleanest way to resolve this. It appears. It looks like I need to delete my Primary vault, but:

1) I am not comfortable doing that unless I know what the impacts are and what the best method is
    2) This was a huge mistake going to this web based account anyway as it does not allow me to control where my data resides
    3) However since you no longer offer a Family plan license this is what I am stuck with

Please advise the best method to clean this up.

Larry

This discussion has been closed.