1password constantly logging me out

jwvanderbeck
jwvanderbeck
Community Member

I'm getting really frustrated since switching from LastPass to 1password. On LastPass I had it set to never log me out, but I can't seem to get the same behavior with 1password.

First off, it is very confusing as there seems to be multiple apps with multiple settings across both the OS and browser, and they act differently. In Firefox for example I have settings, but in Opera I don't seem to have any settings. In Firefox I have go into Settings and turned "Automatically lock 1password" to off, yet I still have to unlock 1password a few times each day (it seems when my laptop goes to sleep 1password locks). In Opera I can't find any settings, and it is even worse, seemingly locking 1password every hour or so. I constantly have to relog in which is infuriating.

1Password Version: Version 7.2.4 (70204000)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @jwvanderbeck - and to 1Password! I'm sorry for the confusion; getting used to a new system can be a definite learning curve sometimes. 1Password for Mac's settings are located in the main app, in Preferences > Security. Whatever you set there will be respected by the browser extensions, provided you're using the standard browser extension (requires 1Password application), and not 1Password X (which is designed only for 1password.com accounts and doesn't need or work directly with the 1Password for Mac app). You didn't mention what version of 1Password extension you have installed in various browsers, but you might want to check that.

With regard to overall timeouts, you cannot set 1Password to never require your Master Password, because it is your Master Password that is used to derive the actual encryption keys that decrypt your data. If you don't ever enter it, it's often quite easy to forget and then -- should the 1Password process crash or you upgrade macOS (and a few other conditions), you wouldn't be able to unlock your data. You've got pretty broad latitude in Preferences > Security to set things more or less-restrictively, but you can't set it to never require your Master Password. Have a look at that link, and experiment with the settings, and let me know if things still aren't the way you'd like them - or think they ought to be working. :)

• jwvanderbeck
    jwvanderbeck
    Community Member

I am using the browser extension on both Firefox and Chrome though I am not sure if it is the "X" version or not. I will have to check that. The extension on Firefox seems to have its own settings and much better integration than the one in Opera.

• jwvanderbeck
    jwvanderbeck
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

The Opera browser extension listed in the settings is as follow:
    1Password extension (desktop app required)
    Version 4.7.3.90

For Firefox it is:
    1Password X
    Firefox
    version 1.14.1

So I guess the I have the X version in Firefox and not in Opera, which explains why Firefox seems better integrated and has its own settings menu?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jwvanderbeck - 1Password X works only with 1password.com accounts, and it does NOT work (directly) with 1Password for Mac. You can install and use it (as you've seen in Firefox), but it's not operating with your local 1Password 7 for Mac app; 1Password X communicates directly with the server. If you have only a 1password.com account and no local (standalone) vaults, then I guess it's a matter of which look/functionality you prefer -- but keep in mind that the two will function separately -- so if you have 1Password X set to lock after Z minutes or under certain conditions, that will not affect 1Password 7 for Mac at all; you'd need to separately unlock both...and the usual Go & Fill from within 1Password 7 for Mac would not work (in other words: you can't double-click an item in 1Password 7 for Mac and expect it to fill into your browser).

If you have only the 1password.com account, you don't even really need 1Password 7 for Mac -- if you want, you can install 1Password X in any browsers you want (Opera, Chrome, Firefox -- but NOT Safari), and it will work on its own, directly with the server. If you are a Safari user, you'd still need 1Password 7 for Mac and the regular Safari App Extension. Hope that helps! :)

• jwvanderbeck
    jwvanderbeck
    Community Member

I have to say I kind of prefer the 1PasswordX integration into Firefox much better, as all I have to do is click in a login field and the logins I have saved drop down right there for me to select. With the 1Password for Mac (even with the Opera extension) I can't do that. I have to instead either right click the login field and open 1password, which opens it in a separate window, or click the toolbar icon which does the same.

However the 1PasswordX extension in Firefox doesn't seem to have the same granular control over auto-lock as you pointed out to me in the main app. It just has a toggle for Auto-Lock on or off. I have it off, but it still auto locks on occasion. Do you know what situations cause an auto-lock even when it is disabled? I'm guessing it is things like the computer going to sleep? Since this is on a Macbook Po it obviously gets put to sleep a lot so maybe that is what I am seeing.

So I guess I need to either use the main 1Password app which has better controls for the auto lock, but much worse browser integration, or the newer (I assume its newer?) 1Password X extension in Firefox and Opera which gives better integration o the browser, but worse controls for auto lock.

Are there plans to expand the options given to the 1Password X extension concerning auto lock, or plans to make the Non-X extensions have better integration like the X does?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jwvanderbeck

all I have to do is click in a login field and the logins I have saved drop down right there for me to select. With the 1Password for Mac (even with the Opera extension) I can't do that. I have to instead either right click the login field and open 1password, which opens it in a separate window, or click the toolbar icon which does the same.

To a large degree, this is a matter of how you like your setup to work, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the way most of use the non-1Password X extension. Because it's integrated directly with the app, and we have an extensive list of keyboard shortcuts, most of the keyboard-centric among us accomplish the task even faster with just the ⌘\ (command + backslash) combo. Try it: visit a login page in Opera for which you have an account in 1Password, then just hold down the command key and hit backslash (over to the right of your keyboard, should be above the return key).

This discussion has been closed.