Installed 1password 7 from App Store on new iMac: Cannot add new logins

David2019
David2019
Community Member

I have purchased a new iMac and have subsequently installed 1password 7 from the App Store. My passwords are synced via iCloud and therefore I have access to all my passwords as planned. My old iMac has been deleted including the 1password copy installed on that computer.

My problem is that I cannot add new logins on my new iMac. So I am forced to do that via my iPhone and the new login will then sync to my new iMac via iCloud. But that is very unpractical.

What is wrong and how do I solve it?

1Password Version: 7.3.1OS
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X Mojava 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @David2019,

If you purchased 1Password in the past via the Mac App Store then you will have purchased something between 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 for Mac. Starting with 1Password 7 we've decided to make the Mac App Store version of 1Password only for our 1Password account subscribers. We've done this because paid updates in the Mac App Store just isn't a great experience and so if we limit the Mac App Store to 1Password account holders then there is no need to worry about paid updates as an active 1Password account holder is always entitled to run the latest version.

To return to a version of 1Password for Mac that is fully featured the quickest route for just now would be to quit 1Password 7, delete it and then download 1Password 6 from the Mac App Store. Here is what I recommend.

1. Quit any open browser as they may have an active connection to 1Password 7. This is most notable with Safari.
    2. Hold down the alt/option key and click on the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the menu option Quit 1Password Completely.
    3. Drag the 1Password 7 application bundle from the /Applications/ folder to the Trash. If macOS refuses to allow 1Password to be moved to the Trash please confirm step 1 was completed.
    4. In the Mac App Store visit your purchase history. In macOS Mojave AKA 10.14 it can be found by clicking your name in the lower left hand corner of the App Store application.
    5. Scroll past the entry for 1Password 7 and look for an older purchase titled simply 1Password. Download this.
    6. Launch 1Password 6 and complete the setup, using your iCloud data as the source.

That should see you up and running in a short space of time. After you have done this then you're in a position to consider if you want to make the move to 1Password 7. 1Password 7 is a paid update and so it either requires an in-app purchase of a new licence (which requires the 1Password 7 application bundle downloaded direct from our site) or an active 1Password account. This is a subscription based service where we host your encrypted data and the subscription includes access to the latest 1Password on all supported platforms. Two key areas we wanted to do better with 1Password accounts were to remove the pain of sync across multiple devices and redundancy, so the lost of a single device wouldn't mean the loss of all of a person's data. You can learn more about our 1Password accounts and 1Password 7 from our support page Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac. If you have any follow-up questions or you're having trouble returning to 1Password 6 please let us know and we'll do our best to help.

This discussion has been closed.