If you check "Remember Me" does that leave you exposed?

Options
jazzman
jazzman
Community Member

If you check "Remember Me" where you have entered your username and password within 1Password OR in any other app where either facial or touch recognition are required, does that leave you exposed in any way? I have some sites that do not cooperate with 1Pass especially on my iPad, and this seems to be the only way to keep from having to manually enter the username and password each time. Where apps are involved, they all seem to require checking "Remember Me" at setup for the facial or touch recognition.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jazzman - the most secure way to approach things is by entering your credentials each time, provided you're doing so in a secure manner. If you've got websites for which you can't use Password Autofill to enter your credentials, let us know; we'd like to see if it's something we can address.

In general, checking a "Remember Me" box means a persistent credential, which could mean that if someone can access your device physically or remotely and unlock it, they would have access to any such services you'd signed into. It's really beyond the scope of what we do here for me to advise you on that, but I would imagine that's an unlikely situation -- unless someone took your physical device out of your hand while you had it unlocked. If you leave your phone or iPad in a café, someone would have to be able to get into it, first -- meaning knowing or cracking your device passcode -- before they could take advantage of any such persistently signed-in apps/websites. With Apple devices, if you set up Find My iPhone, you can remotely erase any such lost or stolen device, if you feel that's prudent. In short, if you're finding having to sign in each and every time you use some apps or websites, depending on how you use your device, it's probably not a huge risk to keep them signed in via "Remember Me" -- but that needs to be a decision made at your discretion. Hope that's helpful.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars-Thank you for your prompt response. I do have some websites that are troublesome with Password Autofill, and the Agilebits Discussions site is one of them. I have to keep entering username and password repeatedly for it to work. Any thoughts?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019
    Options

@jazzman: It definitely works here, as I use it every day and we haven't gotten other reports like that. If your saved Login is just old and based on a previous version of the login page, manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better. Just try these steps to save the login and fill it:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login in 1Password to press Return (or double click) to Open & Fill
    8. Submit the form

Let me know how it goes. :)

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Sorry but something is definitely amiss here. That website you mentioned is a wealth management site. What am I missing here?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I changed my password, and it still doesn't work. Go figure.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jazzman: Okay, that was dumb of me. I grabbed the wrong URL. Sorry. :( Obviously what I meant was go to the specific page you're having trouble with -- whether this forum or any other website, and save a new Login item for it. That way 1Password can more easily fill there in the future. But why are you changing your password? Can you be more specific what you're trying to accomplish? Maybe I've misunderstood your earlier comments.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I've been having trouble with this site in particular. Sometimes it does not log in when I Autofill the username and password. Maybe I should say more often than not. it's acting really strange. I hit Autofill, it loads the username and password, I hit sign in and it does nothing. That's not the weird part. When I hit the back arrow at the top of the page, I'm in. figure that one out. I've never seen anything like it. I just discovered the above method of getting in to the site by trial and error. Really weird. I need to get this fixed somehow.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019
    Options

@jazzman: Thanks for clarifying. I haven't seen that either. Can you tell me the exact URL, and the browser version you're using? Does it happen in a private browsing window, or in a different browser entirely? I wonder if you have an old cache of the page. It really sounds like the login is happening, but the browser isn't taking you to the next page.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Guess what? I just tried Firefox, and it works fine. Answering your questions, though, the browser I was using was Safari 13.0.1.
    The URL is https://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jazzman: I'm not sure I follow. There isn't a login form on that page. But if it works correctly in Firefox, maybe there's something to my earlier theory of something cached in Safari. Does private browsing work?

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: So sorry but you have lost me. If I recall without going there, when you go to the page I mentioned, you still have to go to the login page from there. Please tell me the exact website I should be using to log in to the site immediately from the 1Pass app on my Mac. I don’t even understand private browsing?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jazzman: In Safari, you can go to File > New Private Window to open a "private browsing" window which is like going to the website for the first time, and when you close it it is like it never happened -- no cache, no history, etc. For example, I'm obviously logged in here replying to you, but if I open https://discussions.agilebits.com in a private window, I am not signed in there because it does not use Safari's cache, cookies, etc.

I'm curious if you login to https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target= -- the forum sign in page --in a private window if that works correctly for you. If it does, that would indicate that it's something with what Safari has saved. That's why I think it works correctly for you in Firefox. Let me know what you find. :)

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: This has become too time consuming for me. I’ll just use Firefox.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! If you would like to test this again, just let us know :)

This discussion has been closed.