1Password browser extension for Edge not working on Mac

manishgiri
manishgiri
Community Member
edited December 2020 in Mac

I had to reset and re-install macOS on my Macbook Pro last week, but ever since then, 1Password extension for the new Microsoft (Chromium) Edge browser doesn't seem to work at all. I keep getting this pop-up -

Note - this is not the "1Password X" extension, this is the one that requires the desktop app. I have no idea why it's showing this error now, whereas it worked fine before the reinstall. (The reason I don't use "1Password X" is because it somehow blocks the browser's native password auto-save feature).

I've already tried removing and re-installing both the browser extension and the 1Password desktop app itself, but nothing has helped.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• thegdgteer
    thegdgteer
    Community Member

Having same issue.

• MrAsterisco
    MrAsterisco
    Community Member

I am also having the same issue. Everything was working fine, until I ran some maintenance tasks (repaired permissions, cleared cache, etc...) and restarted my Mac. Now I can't use 1Password with Edge.

• manishgiri
    manishgiri
    Community Member

Eagerly waiting for someone from the 1Password team to take a look into this.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @manishgiri, @thegdgteer, and @MrAsterisco 👋

First off, thanks for your continued patience! I really appreciate it.

There's a chance that I'll need to take a peek at diagnostics reports from each of your computers, but I wanted to try a simple fix first.

Can you each give the following steps a try for me?

1. Make sure the 1Password app and your browser are both in the Applications folder.

2. In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder. Copy and paste the following path and press Return:

~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/

1. Copy the file named 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json to your desktop.

2. Choose Go > Go to Folder. Copy and paste the correct path for your browser and press Return:

Microsoft Edge Beta: ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge Beta/
    Microsoft Edge Dev: ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge Dev/
    Microsoft Edge Canary: ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge Canary/

1. Open the folder NativeMessagingHosts or create it if it doesn’t exist.

2. Drag the file named 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json from your desktop into the NativeMessagingHosts folder.

3. Restart your browser.

Let me know how things are acting in Edge after that.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

I'm also running into a similar issue, and I believe Edge (stable release) stopped working with 1Password desktop-required extension when I used this script to remove Chrome completely: https://github.com/wendyliga/mac_chrome_uninstaller

I've not had any of the big fan-noise, high-CPU events I was having even with Chrome closed (see discussion at https://chromeisbad.com/), but since doing this, the 1Password desktop-required extension in Edge on macOS does not work; it prompts me to install the extension when I click the button and the extension is installed. 1Password X works, but of course requires typing my Master Password each time to unlock.

I've not reinstalled Chrome or Edge, but I have reinstalled the extension a few times. The .json file mentioned above does not exist, and the folder doesn't either (there's an Application Support\Google\Chrome Canary\NativeMessagingHosts folder, but it only has a com.webex.meeting.json file in it).

I assume this is from Chrome being a little too clean when cleaned? It's not horrible, but I bet that's the cause for me at least...any way to get the .json regenerated? I'm running
    1Password 7
    Version 7.7.1.BETA-4 (70701004)
    1Password Beta

• @dszp,

Yes. Too clean. You'll want to mkdir -p ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/

• thegdgteer
    thegdgteer
    Community Member

@kaitlyn It appears your simple fix resolved the issue for me, at least on one of my computers (I'll try on the other when I back on that system and report back if it doesn't work there also). Thanks!

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@rudy thanks, that completed without error, but the desktop app extension behavior (after reinstalling and restarting Edge) doesn't seem to have any better behavior. Still pops up the "please install the desktop app" page when trying to fill with Cmd+X.

• @dszp

Where are you seeing the message?

• kon_jelly
    kon_jelly
    Community Member

@rudy Adding that folder fixed the issue for me. Thanks!

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@ag_tommy When I have the desktop Chrome extension installed in Edge and I press Cmd+\ to autofill, instead the 1Password menu icon pops up a dropdown with that message. Clicking the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar drops down the grey menu saying the extension name and various management/extension options, but not the GUI of the extension if it were linked.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @kon_jelly! I am glad to hear this :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dszp:

What is the exact version of the 1Password browser extension that you have installed in Edge?

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@ag_ana it's 4.7.5.90. I've removed and installed it multiple times from the Chrome store, so I should have whatever the current version is. Chrome Web Store confirms this is the current version: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dszp:

Thank you for the confirmation! Do you see a file named 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json inside the ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/ folder on your Mac?

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@ag_ana I do not; I have ~/Library/Application Support/Google/ as a folder, but inside is only a Chrome Canary and RLZ folder, no folder just named "Chrome"

• @dszp,

it sounds like the mkdir -p command didn't quite succeed then. how about mkdir -p ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/ ?

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@rudy That does it! Ran that command, folder was created, the .json file appeared, I quit Edge and reopened and tada, back in action. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of rudy, you are welcome @dszp :)

This discussion has been closed.