1Password wants to login during boot up Catalina. - What does it mean?

Options
bear67512
bear67512
Community Member

Hi there, I am using Mac Catalina and I have problem logging in during bootup. To summarise - I have been having login problems with my Mac, and have tried safe mode - the Mac seems to be stuck at the login page where the progress bar seems to be stuck at 75%

How is this related to 1 password? Well - the funny thing is that during the login process my Mac was requesting me to authenticate via my Touch ID or Apple Watch for my 1password -

I am wondering does anyone have a similar encounter during this login process and could interpret what was 1password trying to do.

Sorry if this seems like a Mac problem - I am working with apple support but this particular login request by 1password during the login process befuddles me.

Comments

• @bear67512

I can't think of a reason you would be prompted to authenticate. We have a helper process that starts on startup. But it would not require authentication by the Apple Watch or Touch ID. The only thing that remotely comes to mind is your Mac had an authentication prompt displayed and was shut down with the option to reopen closed windows chosen.

System Preferences > General - (enable) the option for "Close windows when quitting an app. " If not enabled, previous window states will be restored. I am taking a large stab here and thinking one of those was an authentication prompt.

• I am on Big Sur, check the wording on the option within Catalina. I don't recall if it's the inverse.
  • bear67512
    bear67512
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the feedback - I was discussing this issue with the apple consultant and we were wondering why authentication was needed as well during the startup process. It is certainly strange.

• You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.