Electron

Options

Comments

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem I have watched the video and tried the new App. Given the amount of backlash, I am clearly not alone in my feelings. I don't think the advances in backend and the claimed advantages are worth the sacrifice in going with Electron. Its a fundamental issue, that whilst I am sure you are hearing us there's a difference between hearing and actually appreciating what we are saying.

Can you release the front end that has the SwiftUI for a limited number of people to test? I'd prefer that, even if in your opinion it isn't as good?

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@stylefrybread The one thing I will say is that the new App is not slow, its a resource hog, but it is fast to use.

• @stylefrybread The Touch ID should be available if you are running the latest browser extension and have the browser integration enabled in 1Password Preferences. Are you using Safari or a different browser?

Re: slow and clunky. Would love to learn more about it, where does it happen?

• stylefrybread
    stylefrybread
    Community Member
    Options

Disagree. I'm running on an M1. Clicking on the browser extension in the Safari toolbar, it can take several seconds to load for me. And everything just feels off.

• stylefrybread
    stylefrybread
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response @roustem. Yeah, I noticed it when clicking on the browser extension, as mentioned in my last comment. I did not see a Touch ID prompt in browser, only when I opened the main app (and even then I had to activate Touch ID first). 1Password 7 is everything I need. I only loaded the early access to see what direction 1Password was going in and because I want to be able to unlock 1Password with my external Touch ID keyboard while in clamshell mode. Not impressed so far.

• @stylefrybread What macOS/Safari version are you running? I believe there was a bug that was causing the performance issues in the extension popup. It should be fixed in the newer versions.

• jweitzman
    jweitzman
    Community Member
    Options

Nothing to add that hasn’t been said, but record another longtime customer as very unhappy. I detest Electron apps for all the frustrating little things they do wrong, and especially when they use “generic” UI elements to be cross-platform instead of the native controls. I’ve evangelized for 1P for years and now I have to consider whether it’s worth the pain to migrate my whole family, including elderly parents, to something else. As other have said, it’s not like 1P is cheap for what it does. Serious productivity apps cost less, and this is a utility.

Sometime you have to realize you screwed up and took the easy way out. Do the work to make the native app do what you want it to do. We’ll wait. So will your VCs.

• @jweitzman out of curiosity, how much time did you spend running the new 1Password 8 app before you made this conclusion?

• MageekMomo
    MageekMomo
    Community Member
    Options

After more than 10 years of loyalty on permanent licence, I just subscribed accounts for both my family and my company. I’ve chosen 1Password because they were best in class on Apple device. A very good friend from Dashlane is tempting me for years, I’d never think the tech choices would make me switch from 1Password.

Please reconsider instead of disaster, keep your soul

• FCNV
    FCNV
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem

Are you familiar with the term "tone-deaf?" That's how your responses ring. Totally detached from the sentiments your users share and argumentative. It comes off, dare I say, kind of douchey.

Have you presented any reasonable arguments for why this is a better experience for Mac users? How it is faster, less glitchy, or feels more at home on the Mac?

I mean, damn. Moving to Electron is one thing, but treating us all like idiots and being unwilling to accept feedback is another thing entirely. This thing is blowing up in your face and the second Microsoft decides they are adding their own Electron password manager to Microsoft 365, your core users will have abandoned you. You'll be fine but think of your employees.

• zchrykng
    zchrykng
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem any comment on why @shepstl's comments appear to have been scrubbed from this thread, and possibly others?

• stylefrybread
    stylefrybread
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem MacOS 11.5 and Safari 14.1.2

• @stylefrybread Just confirmed with the team that the performance fix is in Safari 15. Sorry about the trouble!

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem will it come to Safari 14? Not everyone will be able to/want to upgrade to Safari 15

• @gussic I believe Apple will eventually upgrade Safari, even to keep up with the security fixes. One trick I was using on one of my laptops is to download the Safari Technology Preview: https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem Thanks - any chance that some priority could be given towards making it work better on version 14 though?

The extension isn't beta, so it isn't too much to expect it work appropriately, and is performant...So requiring someone to download a beta piece of software to get a fundamental issue fixed seems like a poor user outcome, don't you think? What if it takes Apple >6 months to bring Safari 15 to a stable state on older operating systems?

• jweitzman
    jweitzman
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem i haven’t yet. My comments are based on the fundamental issues with Electron and the observations posted here. I haven’t decided anything yet for that very reason; I’ll spend time with 1P8. And honestly, most of my interaction with 1P is on iOS and via the browser extensions. Right now the integration with Safari isn’t that hot, especially if I don’t want to turn off the iCloud password integration. So I’ll be checking that all out carefully. It remains problematic on principle and for the aforementioned “thousand cuts” annoyances that the Mac UI is Electron.

• @gussic Unfortunately, it is an issue in Safari 14. There is really not much we can do there. I am sorry!

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem That's a worry to know but thank you for being frank about it - can I ask what seems like an obvious question...why release it then? Its clear it is not fit-for purpose if it takes 5 seconds to load...

• @jweitzman Thank you for replying!

If want to make a decision, I suggest to wait and give us time to work on the app. It is the very first public release and there are many issues that we know and want to fix.

At the same time, the early feedback is also super important and we already learned about a few features that should be on our roadmap. In any case, I hope you will give it a try and decide for yourself 🙏

• @gussic We already have many customers using macOS Monterey. Also, it is the only way to use Safari with 1Password 8.

Both Monterey and 1Password 8 are still in development, so hopefully things will come together at some point.

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem I have to say, unless the RAM usage for 1P8+Extension can be made to mirror that of 1P7+Extension I'm afraid I'll have to cancel my subscription as well. I know one user won't make any difference to you, but I refuse to support businesses that strip away features and make things more resource heavy whilst continuing to charge the same.

I loved this App, and your company, but to say I feel personally betrayed by the switch to Electron, plus the clear performance problems involved with moving to a independent browser extension (when compared to a dependent one). I am genuinely sad.

• synacsyn
    synacsyn
    Community Member
    Options

I for one like the direction this is going. While I have my reservations about electron I think this modernization and cross-platform support is past due. I'm not judging the performance and resource utilization too harshly at this point given that this is a tech preview and not even Beta. It seems to me that many of the people griping are just being the typical curmudgeonly users. The threats to move to dashlane are pretty hilarious since it is a terrible product. People can't exactly threaten to move to Bitwarden though since their app runs on electron as well.

Good job 1password team. Keep making improvements and you have a customer for life in me.

• blankspace
    blankspace
    Community Member
    Options

My other comment was deleted so I'll say again. @roustem let's move away from "Electron Bad" and outline why 1P8 isn't along your teams usual bar. You want actual feedback on how to improve 1P8, here it is.

So here is a list of bugs/features that need to be reworked

1. No local vault (let's get it out of the way). This saddens me and many deeply. Ignoring the sub issue, not even having it sucks.
    2. It's very difficult to change vaults now. 1p7 used your name to change them. It was brilliant and even showed what vault you're on. Now it's extremely difficult to know. If you have the vault tab closed you can't even tell except for the search bar font. Please go back to the original way. It's very difficult to navigate all of our vaults. We also need a visual indicator of what vault we're currently on. It's also just confusing to use it at all.... To switch to a vault I have to open the vault dropdown, but there's no "All" there anymore. You've put it way by itself above Favourites and Watchtower... Why is it over there??? It belongs with the other vaults.
    3. The padding in 1P8 is way too big. It takes up massive amounts of room and somehow makes the app feel more crowded displaying less information. Please add dividers back on the table and shrink the padding on both the table and sidebar.
    4. The "+ New Item" and other dropdowns being basically modals inside the main window is awful. I've posted pictures before, it's honestly really awful to use when you have a small window.
    5. Quick access cannot be accessed when on a separate Desktop. It forced you back to Desktop 1, quick access should be accessible anywhere and the fact that it's not makes it a very poor replacement for 1P mini.
    6. Quick access needs 1 click summon, I should be able to click the 1P menu icon to summon quick access instantly
    7. No QR scanning (I know this is coming later)
    8. There is a hilarious bug that happens when you open 1password on a full screen RDP window. 1Password gets sucked into the RDP window causing mission control to lose track of 1password. You cannot see or move it off the RDP full screen.
    9. memory usage as you know ..
    10. Watchtower is not caching or working properly. Every time you go into that tab, my CPU usage jumps and the tab is reloaded again. There needs to be some sort of smart caching or something to avoid this. Only refresh if I add or modify an entry.
    11. Customize shortcuts (I know it's an issue already being worked on)
    12. The setting preference being a modal inside the main window is very awkward to use. Please make it separate window, no other app does it this way and it's again very jarring to use on macos and frustrating.
    13. touchID is not automatically activating when I summon 1P8. I have to click the lock icon.
    14. You can't switch vaults from quick access
    15. pressing ESC doesn't exit quick access once inside the "MORE ->" action pane
    16. Quick Access doesn't show up on the active monitor. Apps like Alfred, and others always show up where you're looking. Quick Access again is ONLY accessible on the single Desktop, and the single Monitor. It's honestly awful to use.

So there you go. Real issues with 1P8 from someone whose used it now for 48 hours as a daily driver. Honestly I can see love was put into it but I'm honestly just not happy with it. A lot of people here are just screaming "Electron BAD" but there are reasons included above that ARE because of electron.

I'm copying my comment this time in case it get's deleted again.

• blankspace
    blankspace
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

My other comment was deleted so I'll say again. @roustem let's move away from "Electron Bad" and outline why 1P8 isn't along your teams usual bar. You want actual feedback on how to improve 1P8, here it is.

So here is a list of bugs/features that need to be reworked

1. No local vault (let's get it out of the way). This saddens me and many deeply. Ignoring the sub issue, not even having it sucks.
    2. It's very difficult to change vaults now. 1p7 used your name to change them. It was brilliant and even showed what vault you're on. Now it's extremely difficult to know. If you have the vault tab closed you can't even tell except for the search bar font. Please go back to the original way. It's very difficult to navigate all of our vaults. We also need a visual indicator of what vault we're currently on. It's also just confusing to use it at all.... To switch to a vault I have to open the vault dropdown, but there's no "All" there anymore. You've put it way by itself above Favourites and Watchtower... Why is it over there??? It belongs with the other vaults.
    3. The padding in 1P8 is way too big. It takes up massive amounts of room and somehow makes the app feel more crowded displaying less information. Please add dividers back on the table and shrink the padding on both the table and sidebar.
    4. The "+ New Item" and other dropdowns being basically modals inside the main window is awful. I've posted pictures before, it's honestly really awful to use when you have a small window.
    5. Quick access cannot be accessed when on a separate Desktop. It forced you back to Desktop 1, quick access should be accessible anywhere and the fact that it's not makes it a very poor replacement for 1P mini.
    6. Quick access needs 1 click summon, I should be able to click the 1P menu icon to summon quick access instantly
    7. No QR scanning (I know this is coming later)
    8. There is a hilarious bug that happens when you open 1password on a full screen RDP window. 1Password gets sucked into the RDP window causing mission control to lose track of 1password. You cannot see or move it off the RDP full screen.
    9. memory usage as you know ..
    10. Watchtower is not caching or working properly. Every time you go into that tab, my CPU usage jumps and the tab is reloaded again. There needs to be some sort of smart caching or something to avoid this. Only refresh if I add or modify an entry.
    11. Customize shortcuts (I know it's an issue already being worked on)
    12. The setting preference being a modal inside the main window is very awkward to use. Please make it separate window, no other app does it this way and it's again very jarring to use on macos and frustrating.
    13. touchID is not automatically activating when I summon 1P8. I have to click the lock icon.
    14. You can't switch vaults from quick access
    15. pressing ESC doesn't exit quick access once inside the "MORE ->" action pane
    16. Quick Access doesn't show up on the active monitor. Apps like Alfred, and others always show up where you're looking. Quick Access again is ONLY accessible on the single Desktop, and the single Monitor. It's honestly awful to use.

So there you go. Real issues with 1P8 from someone whose used it now for 48 hours as a daily driver. Honestly I can see love was put into it but I'm honestly just not happy with it. A lot of people here are just screaming "Electron BAD" but there are reasons included above that ARE because of electron

I'm copying my comment this time in case it get's deleted again.

• FCNV
    FCNV
    Community Member
    Options

@synacsyn

Ask me how I know you work for Agilebits.

• user12345
    user12345
    Community Member
    Options

Very disappointed that you have decided to give up your position as one of the greatest Mac applications in favor of cross platform focused development. With 1Password 8 you won't have an edge over the competition anymore for Mac users, and the competition isn't sleeping on the job, that's for sure.

Renewing my subscription has always been a no brainer, but going forward having a look around will be part of the process once the great Mac experience is gone. In fact, with the Electron app I likely won't be recommending 1Password to friends and family anymore.

It's sad to see you throw all your Mac legacy away and screw us Mac users over.

This discussion has been closed.