Parent Controls and 1PasswordAgent

Options

I have parent controls enabled on an account that I would like to be able to use 1Password. However, the 1PasswordAgent doesn't appear to be able to able to be added properly to the application control list. When I logon to the account, i get the dialog that "You don't have permission to use the application '1PasswordAgent'" with the options of "Always Allow...", "Allow Once...", or "OK". For normal programs, selecting "Always Allow..." and entering an administrator password allows the program to run and doesn't prompt again. (For example, I never get prompted when I run 1Password.) However, nothing I select here actually works for 1PasswordAgent. I just get prompted again in about 10 seconds. (Actually it prompts every 10 seconds regardless of whether I respond to the dialog or not, so it makes the computer rather unusable.) I do not have "Never prompts for master password" set. I've tried deleting ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist, but this get recreated every time I start 1Password. For the moment, I've removed permissions on ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Agent/1PasswordAgent.app. This at least makes the account usable, but causes an error every time 1Password is started because it can't overwrite this directory.

Is there something I can do to make this work properly or can you please fix the program?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Jon Crowell
    Jon Crowell
    Community Member
    Options

I am having exactly the same issue. I would like to be able to use 1Password on my 6 macs/iOS devices to manage the passwords for eighteen different accounts. They will all have separate dropbox accounts for sharing the critical info and separate passwords and user profiles that they will be managing. Several of these accounts have parental controls. If you want to recreate the issue for your diagnostic report, just take a macbook, reinstall the OS from scratch after formatting (mountain lion). Create an account as normal and get 1Password running. Create a second account, with a separate logon and password and make in managed with Parental Controls. In the Parental Controls settings check "Limit Applications" and then in the Allowed Apps drop-down list select 1Password and 1PasswordAgent (under Other Apps). Save those settings. Then log in as the manager user. Try to start 1Password and set up an account -- you will get a dialogue box asking you if you'd like to authorize 1PasswordAgent. Say yes as definitively as you possibly can. No matter what you do, that dialogue box will keep re-appearing.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This really sounds like an OS X bug, but it would help us if you would email us a Diagnostics Report as requested above so that we can better assist you.

Thanks!

• Jon Crowell
    Jon Crowell
    Community Member
    Options

Please just create an account that is managed with parental controls and see the issue happening for yourself. It would be easier for you to do that than it would be for me to get you a Diagnostics Report, which I have never heard of before.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Instructions for generating the report are in my post directly above your first one. You replied to it when you first posted. We're investigating on our own, but additional data is always helpful. I guess I just thought that since you took the time to post you were interested in working with us to resolve things. If not, thanks for your post, and enjoy your weekend. :)

• GerDis
    GerDis
    Community Member
    Options

Hello From Germany, I have the same and very bothering problem. So is there any other solution out right now?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @GerDis,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue as well! We are still investigating the issue, and would appreciate if you could send us a Diagnostics Report:

MAC, 1Password 3: Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

MAC, 1Password 4: Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

WINDOWS: Select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File from the menu bar in 1Password.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.