Touch ID on Mac

Options
macpano
macpano
Community Member
edited January 2023 in Mac

Hi I tried to set up Touch ID on 1 password on Mac through this but I don’t see an option in security to turn on Touch ID, can you please instruct me how to find that option?

https://support.1password.com/touch-id-mac/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=18388341772&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiA2rOeBhAsEiwA2Pl7Q-oVwKGSY5VwHOZv9B5-si4qhM5Hbi99t0CPOwpMYZe3BonRRdDX_hoCZYYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @macpano! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble turning on Touch ID for 1Password. Have you already turned on Touch ID for the Mac itself? Are you able to unlock the Mac itself using Touch ID? If you are then please try these steps:

1. Completely turn off your Mac and then turn it on to restart it. (Don't skip this step.)
    2. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    3. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Touch ID & Password.
    4. Turn off all of the features, then turn all of them back on again.
    5. Go back to 1Password and choose 1Password > Settings from the menu bar.
    6. Click the Security icon, then turn on "Touch ID".
    7. Lock 1Password by choosing 1Password > Lock from the menu bar.
    8. Now try unlocking 1Password using Touch ID.

For many people just restarting their Mac gets Touch ID working again, if it does for you as well then you can skip the rest of the steps. 🙂

Please let me know if you run into any issues or get stuck anywhere.

-Dave

• maxseelemann
    maxseelemann
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I'm having the same issue. Tried all the steps above, restarted my Mac, etc. Other apps work fine with Touch ID, it's just 1Password 8 that insists on not wanting to use this feature. Anything else I can try?

BTW the link below the greyed out settings is not helpful at all.

Thanks, Max

• @maxseelemann

I'm sorry that Touch ID isn't working with 1Password on your Mac. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• maxseelemann
    maxseelemann
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, sent it. Did get a confirmation but not a Support ID number back, though.

• @maxseelemann

Thank you for the reply. I've located your ticket and I see that due to the routing an auto-reply including a Support ID wasn't sent but the ticket did make it to the right team in the end. One of my colleagues will take a look at your diagnostics report and send you a reply as soon as possible. 🙂

-Dave

ref: ZenDesk-105320

• fonzman
    fonzman
    Community Member
    Options

I have a related issue with a Mac Mini M2 using a TouchID Keyboard. 1Password won't show unlocking with TouchID for the main application. But it works when trying to insert passwords e.g. with Safari. I have tried the above steps, but without success. I use version 8.9.15.

Many thanks in advance.

-Peter

• @fonzman

I'm sorry to hear that you can't unlock the main 1Password app using Touch ID. Can you please try the following steps:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Application folder.
    4. Open your web browser.

If that doesn't work then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• fonzman
    fonzman
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Manually closing everything - and doing a restart after did the job. Thanks for the great support!

• @fonzman

I'm happy to hear that Touch ID is working for you again. 🙂

-Dave

• Ashiado
    Ashiado
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue with using touch ID to open 1Password on a MacBook Air. It is the same issue as has been described by maxseelemann here on this forum.

Just like the users maxpano and maxseelemann, the touch ID option in 1Password is grayed out. I already followed all of the steps outlined by Dave_1P above (including restarting, turning touch ID on and off, etc.), but nothing has resolved the problem so far.

For reference, 1P was recently transfered to a new computer, so possibly this has something to do with it. If I enter the 1P master password, I can access all the passwords fine; it’s just that touch ID doesn’t work to unlock 1P, even though touch ID is turned on in system preferences and works in all other areas (to unlock the mac, etc.)

I will email a diagnostics report for troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks for your help!

• Thanks @Ashiado

ref: NZD-46757-575

• Lyno
    Lyno
    Community Member
    Options

Do we have an update on this? Same here with a Macbook Air M2

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Lyno

I'm sorry that you're also running into trouble with using Touch ID to unlock 1Password. There isn't a singular known issue that is currently causing Touch ID issues and we'll need to investigate why Touch ID isn't working to unlock 1Password on your specific Mac.

Have you been able to unlock 1Password using Touch ID on your Macbook Air M2 before? Or has it never worked? Are you still able to unlock the Mac itself using Touch ID?

Can you also try the steps that I posted above, you can find them here. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.