Accessing MFA codes on mobile

Options
jonathangunnell
jonathangunnell
Community Member

I used the Chrome extension on my Mac to scan a QR quote to turn on MFA for a website. I didn't realize that feature even existed - it worked wonderfully. However, when trying to access that site on my iPhone, I can't seem to figure out where to get the 6-digit code to log into the website. On my desktop browser, the code is generated and accessible from the 1Password extension/app. I'm not finding it on the mobile app anywhere. All are up-to-date.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @jonathangunnell! 👋

I'm sorry that you're not seeing your one-time password in 1Password on your iPhone. Can you try these steps:

1. Open and unlock the main 1Password app from your iPhone's home screen.
    2. Tap Items.
    3. Tap All Items.
    4. Tap the item that the one-time password was saved for.

Do you see the one-time password here? If you don't then, on your Mac, can you check 1Password.com to see if the one-time password is there, this will tell us if the one-time password is saved properly to your account:

1. On your Mac, log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app).
    2. Click All Vaults.
    3. Click on the item that the one-time password was saved for.

Let me know if the one-time password is here. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• jonathangunnell
    jonathangunnell
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thanks for the quick response, Dave. I went through the steps and wasn't seeing the 6-digit code on my iPhone OR at 1Password.com in the browser. I checked back in the Chrome extension and it was no longer there either. I went ahead and turned off MFA for the website to disconnect, then turned it back on and went through the setup processes using the QR code and the Chrome extension just like I did before but this time when I check on my phone, it was working. The code also displayed in the desktop app version.

However, I signed out again then came back and signed in a few minutes later and I'm not able to get 6-digit codes in any version of 1Password. Am I missing a step?

• @jonathangunnell

Thank you for the reply. Just to make sure that I understand: you were seeing the one-time password in both the extension on your Mac and the 1Password app on your iPhone but you're no longer seeing the one-time password, is that right?

So that I can better understand the situation can you please tell me the following:

1. Did you use the following steps to save the one-time password using the 1Password in Chrome on your Mac: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication
    2. Is the item that you're saving the one-time password for in a shared vault that another family member or team member has access to?
    3. Can you see the one-time password when you look at that item's previous versions on 1Password.com: View and restore previous versions of items

I look forward to hearing from you. If I misunderstood the issue then let me know.

-Dave

• jonathangunnell
    jonathangunnell
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

That's correct. I'm able to use the Chrome extension to scan the QR code and create/save the one-time password field to the login item. Immediately after doing so, I check the Mac app, iPhone app, browser version and Chrome extension. All 4 places are showing that one-time password field (with the same 6-digit code and countdown clock). If I sign out of the website (in this case Monarch Money), and then sign back it, 1Password works as expected and auto-fills the 6-digit code when asked. I'm able to log into the Monarch mobile app as well after jumping over to 1Password to grab the code.

In response to your specific questions:
    1. I did follow the steps for browser extension provided on the link you shared.
    2. I do have a shared vault that I share with my wife, but this particular item is in my private vault.
    3. I just viewed the history on the login item and I AM seeing the one-time password field. Although, there are several versions created in the last few days since I've been troubleshooting and turning MFA off and on so there were also several versions that did not have the field.

I just set it all up again and it's working as expected across all versions of 1Password. I'm going to log out of Monarch on all apps (but not turn off the MFA feature), give it a few hours, and then try to get in again later today. I'll follow up if the one-time password field disappears again.

• @jonathangunnell

Thank you for the update. Let me know if the field disappears and we can dig deeper.

-Dave

• jonathangunnell
    jonathangunnell
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Thanks again. Everything seems to be sticking this time. I set up 2-factor for several other accounts and they are all working as expected across all devices. I'm sure I just didn't save something correctly on the first attempt. All is well now!

• Sounds good, if you do see any issues pop up then let us know. We're here to help. 🙂

-Dave