Can't enable Touch ID when using a Magic Keyboard

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Can't enable TouchID.

Comments

• brando
    brando
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem. new iMac M3 running Sonoma. Can you help? Bought this keyboard for this one feature only, and disappointed to see it not work. Thanks

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@brando

I'm sorry that you're unable to unlock 1Password using Touch ID on your Magic Keyboard. Are you able to unlock the Mac itself using Touch ID on the Magic Keyboard? Let me know if you aren't.

As a first step can you try these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password with your Mac in clamshell mode (Macbook lid closed).
    2. Plug in your Magic Keyboard to your Mac directly with the provided USB-C-to-Lightning cable.
    3. Leave the Magic Keyboard plugged in for around 10 minutes or so.
    4. After 10 minutes, unplug your Magic Keyboard and restart your Mac.

Then try to setup Touch ID for 1Password again: Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your Mac

Let me know how that goes. 🙂

-Dave

• brando
    brando
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Dave. I am on a new iMac M3 with the bluetooth keyboard. Anything that can work with this device?

• @brando

Thank you for the reply and I'm sorry for missing that you have an iMac. I don't have an iMac M3 myself but I believe that those still came with a keyboard that includes a USB-C to Lightning Cable for charging. Can you use that cable to follow these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password on your Mac.
    2. Plug in your Magic Keyboard to your Mac directly with the provided USB-C to Lightning cable.
    3. Leave the Magic Keyboard plugged in for around 10 minutes or so.
    4. After 10 minutes, unplug your Magic Keyboard and restart your Mac.

If that doesn't work then please try these steps:

1. Completely turn off your Mac and then turn it on to restart it. (Don't skip this step.)
    2. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    3. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Touch ID & Password.
    4. Turn off all of the features, then turn all of them back on again.
    5. Go back to 1Password and choose 1Password > Settings from the menu bar.
    6. Click the Security icon, then turn on "Touch ID".
    7. Lock 1Password by choosing 1Password > Lock from the menu bar.
    8. Now try unlocking 1Password using Touch ID.

Let me know how that goes and I can help further.

-Dave

• brando
    brando
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Gave both options a shot. The touchID checkbox in 1pass settings is still greyed out. Other thoughts?

• @brando

I'm sorry that the steps didn't work. So that I can help further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave