Desktop app and extension don't integrate

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password isn't working with macOS Sonoma 14.2 (beta).

Comments

• instanttim
    instanttim
    Community Member
    Options

In my experience the steps in Dave's post make it work for a bit, but it ends up breaking again later (maybe after additional Beta updates?)

• @instanttim

I'm sorry that the issue came back in your case. Can you tell me a little more about what you mean by "breaking again"? Are you unable to unlock 1Password in Safari? Or do you see a blank pop-up?

Has the issue reoccured after updating to macOS 14.2 beta 3 or later and which version of macOS are you running right now?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• instanttim
    instanttim
    Community Member
    Options

Can you tell me a little more about what you mean by "breaking again"? Are you unable to unlock 1Password in Safari? Or do you see a blank pop-up?

Sure, the extension appears in the Safari toolbar with a lock on it, clicking it shows the popover but with either a "loading" spinner or an "Open 1Password" button. Clicking the button does nothing though. The webpages don't show the logo in text fields and no form of autofilling seems to work. I can open the 1P app itself though, even leaving it open and unlocked doesn't seem to help the extension. I can of course copy/paste my credentials. I also get the on-page presentation for Passkeys, and it has a button that says "Unlock 1Password" (i believe) but clicking it does nothing as well.

Has the issue reoccured after updating to macOS 14.2 beta 3 or later and which version of macOS are you running right now?

I'm currently running 14.2 Beta 4 (23C63) and the extension was unable to access/connect to the app. As with other times deleting an hour of browser history fixes it (i also quit both 1P and Safari and re-opened them, although it appeared to be working without doing that). I just lived with this issue since it appeared (knowing i was using betas) and eventually came here and found out about the workaround of deleting some history. But each time it eventually goes back to not working -- I haven't recorded if it's only after Beta updates or some other event. I just know that eventually I find it's not working again. I can't confirm that I did this fix after beta 3, I only know the problem was still here even though I was on beta 4. I'll keep an eye on it and post here again if it reverts and stops working.

• @instanttim

Thank you for the detailed reply, it sounds like you're running into a slightly different issue so I've split your comments into a new thread.

The next time that the issue occurs, before using the workaround, I'd like to ask you to send in some logs so that we can investigate further:

Attach both files to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• OSmacX
    OSmacX
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

I experience exactly the same problem as described by instanttim
    Only 1Password for Safari extension is opening [Open 1Password] button when I click it shows Opening but nothing happens. No problems on other browsers [Chrome, Opera, Firefox].
    1. MacOS Sonoma 14.3 bèta (23D5033f)
    2. Safari Versie 17.3 (19617.2.1.11.3)
    Deleting the history made it working again [for now] is recurring issue after Beta updates.

• @OSmacX

I'm sorry that you ran into the same issue. Just to clarify, have you run into the issue since updating to the macOS 14.3 beta?

There was an issue in previous betas for macOS 14.2 that could cause 1Password for Safari to stop working but that was corrected in macOS 14.2 beta 3. If you're still seeing an issue then we'll need to investigate further. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• OSmacX
    OSmacX
    Community Member
    Options

I was experiencing the issue since MacOS 14.2 beta 2 and switched to using Chrome to avoid the problem as a workaround.
    It was not solved in beta 3 for me and problem stayed until yesterday MacOS 14.3 was installed and I found this post, did not check the community earlier, and deleted the history of Safari.
    So it might have been solved earlier.
    Thanks for reaching out

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

@OSmacX

Thank you for the reply. Some folks have reported that they needed to clear Safari's history/cache one more time after updating to a version of macOS that includes the fix that I mentioned in my previous reply. If you do see the issue again then let me know and we can dig deeper. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• OSmacX
    OSmacX
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,
    Thanks for your reply, will try to remember this after 10+ yrs of using 1Password πŸ˜€
    Never before had the need to reach out πŸ‘πŸΌ
    Happy holidays,
    Onno

• Thank you for sticking with us for so many years! Happy holidays to you as well. 😊

-Dave

• instanttim
    instanttim
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Safari profiles, and 1Password won't connect/autofill on ONE of my profiles, another window open at the same time using a different profile works fine. Clearing 1hr of history didn't work today, cleared the whole day, didn't work. Turned off the extension in Safari Settings, then turned it back on again -- worked fine.

It seems to just get into this state periodically and repeatedly.

• @instanttim

I'm sorry that you continue to run into issues. Were you able to send in the logs that I requested back in December? They'll help our team investigate further so that we can get this fixed. You can find instructions on how to send in the logs here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/701260/#Comment_701260

-Dave