Account password required for browser extension

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Auto Locking after a few seconds.

Comments

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    Options

I have to manually enter my account password every time I want to use 1P(mac) in a browser window, regardless of whether I click the icon in the MacOS menu bar or the icon in the Safari window. It seems to be under ALL circumstances, but I don't have time to confirm that through exhaustive testing. (That's what the software developers are supposed to do.) I can say that it ALWAYS happens after the MBP goes to sleep.

Before you ask, I have:
    General > "Keep 1P in the menu bar" ENABLED
    General > "Start at login" ENABLED
    Security > Unlock: "Touch ID" ENABLED
    Security > Unlock: "Apple Watch" ENABLED
    Security > Unlock: "Require password" set to EVERY 30 DAYS
    Security > Auto-lock: "Lock after the computer is idle for" set to NEVER
    Security > Auto-lock: "Lock on sleep..." DISABLED
    Security > Auto-lock: "Allow 1Password to prevent..." DISABLED

That's about as unprotected as I can figure out how to make myself, short of using "123456" as my password on every site I visit.

Anybody got a fix that actually fixes the problem?

• Dave_1P
    edited January 12
    Options

Hello @DavidMBrown! 👋

I'm sorry that you're being prompted to unlock 1Password in the browser with your account password more often than expected. I've split your comment into a new thread so that we can discuss it separately. So that I can better understand the situation can you please tell me the following:

1. Are you using remote screen sharing software? (I ask only because the customer in the previous thread was running into a known issue that involved screen sharing.)
    2. Are you never able to unlock 1Password for Safari or the 1Password for Mac desktop app using Touch ID? Or is the problem intermittent?
    3. The next time that the issue occurs, if you double-click on the 1Password icon from the Applications folder are you able to use Touch ID to unlock the app there?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    Options
    1. No. I've seen that thread and knew it didn't apply.

2. If the menu-bar icon displays the lock icon, I was just now able to unlock it with Touch ID. I guess that makes it technically "intermittent," but the impression is that I have to enter my account password every time I want to use 1P(mac), at least for the first time after the computer has been asleep. Again, I haven't tried to do exhaustive testing of all icons in all scenarios.

3. I'll try to remember to try that.

Thanks, Dave.

DB
    ;-)

• Dave_1P
    edited January 12
    Options

@DavidMBrown

Thank you for the reply. Just to clarify: you said that you're currently able to unlock the desktop app from the menu bar using Touch ID, are you also now able to unlock 1Password in the browser using Touch ID? Or is that still not working?

If Touch ID is working for the desktop app but not the browser extension then can you check the following:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the browser's toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Is "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app" turned on and do you see a green dot underneath the setting?

-Dave

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Re: your main question, I don't know how to lock 1Password in the brower, so I can't test that.

Re: your question in step 3, yes and yes.

—David

• Hey David,

@DavidMBrown

how to lock 1Password in the browser

Right-click on the browser toolbar icon and select lock.

Re: Step 3 and your question in general:

Are you using a beta or nightly, by chance? If so, there is an issue that's recently developed where sometimes you'll see the need to supply the password. I'm experiencing this myself. It sounds as if you might be experiencing this. Assuming for a moment that you are the following should help.

1. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click or Control-click) on the helper and select Quit.
    2. Fully quit your browser. There should be no light on underneath the Dock icon.
    3. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock.
    4. Open your browser.
    5. Optional lock 1Password for Safari and then attempt to unlock. You should be prompted for biometrics.

If you are using the beta or nightly, and the steps help I'll get your report added to our internal issue.

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, Tommy!

No, I stick to regular releases, but that problem sounds like what I'm experiencing: having to re-enter the password before I can use 1P on a web site.

Having tested it, a few minutes ago, I was able to unlock 1P with Touch ID (even though it shouldn't have locked), so I'd say the problem is intermittent.

Note that I've restarted my MBP, just to clear any cobwebs that might've accumulated.

• Dave_1P
    edited January 15
    Options

@DavidMBrown

Thank you for the reply. The next time that you're prompted to unlock 1Password in the browser using your account password, and not Touch ID, I'd like you to send in the following:

Attach all files to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Dave.

Using Touch ID to unlock 1P(mac) just worked as designed in Firefox. I'll keep watching in Safari.

• Thanks David.

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    Options

In Safari, I was today presented with these two screens (one for Facebook, one for my credit union):
    Facebook login
    First Tech login

On each, note that I clicked in the username field, didn't see 1P(mac) offer the matching item from my archive, clicked on the "locked 1P" icon in the username field, and was presented with the 1P(mac) "enter password" window.

I realized on one and confirmed on the other that, while I could have entered my 1P(mac) password, I could also click back in the username field and press ⌘+\, and 1P(mac) filled and submitted the page as expected.

I hope this helps you figure out what's going on, even if it's just that I'm "doing it wrong."

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    edited February 4
    Options

...and now, of course, 1P(mac) is working as expected—either offering Touch ID, unlocking itself with just a click on the "locked 1P" icon, or not asking to be unlocked at all (even though the icon indicates that 1P is locked)—on both of those login pages.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯