Support for Zen browser

l4kr
l4kr
Community Member

Hi!
There's this new browser called "Zen browser"
It's based on Firefox but the 1password extension doesn't work with the desktop app

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @l4kr! 👋

Thank you for reaching out! Are you using a Mac? If the browser is properly code-signed then you might be able to add it as a custom browser:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password for Mac desktop app.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Browser.
    5. Click Add Browser and choose your browser from the Applications folder.

If you're using a different platform then let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• l4kr
    l4kr
    Community Member

Hi!
    Unfortunately I'm using it on Windows and there's not a feature like that

• l4kr
    l4kr
    Community Member

Update: tried adding the browser on Mac and it's not even properly signed there. Most likely it's issue on the Zen browser side on the Windows version aswell.

• @l4kr

The custom trusted browsers feature is only available for 1Password on the Mac for the moment. I'll let our product team know that you'd like to see it added for Windows as well.

I installed Zen Browser in a Virtual Machine and checked the code signature and I see the following: Signature=adhoc

Because this browser uses an adhoc code signature, you won't be able to use it with 1Password's custom trusted browser feature. The developer would need to first notarize the app: App code signing process in macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

ref: PB-41336327

• buri
    buri
    Community Member

Hi, would it be possible to add support for this browser on Linux?

• ag_tommy
    edited August 24

@buri

Due to the signature being adhoc it suspect it may not be possible. But I'd be happy to mention to the team you'd like to see it supported. Thank you for the suggestion.

ref: PB-41840512

• perlporter
    perlporter
    Community Member
    edited September 27

Zen Browser is based on Firefox, so we can install the 1Password add-on without any problems!

• faser
    faser
    Community Member
    edited October 4

Any updates on this? Zen browser is still not supported and cannot be used in Zen (despite it being based on Firefox).
    The addon can be installed but not be connected to 1Password. This is probably related to not being able to configure trusted browsers on any other platform than MacOS (and the adhoc setting?).
    Would be great if we could get an update on this or the trusted browser setting on Windows, I don't want to switch to another PW manager just to use Zen.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 7

@perlporter and @faser

For Zen Browser to work with 1Password's custom trusted browser feature on the Mac (the feature allows you to use unsupported browsers with 1Password) the developer would need to sign and notarize the app according to Apple's guidelines. I checked the browser back in August (in a virtual machine) and I saw that it wasn't properly signed:

Signature=adhoc

It looks like this is something that the developer of Zen Browser is working on: https://old.reddit.com/r/zen_browser/comments/1f7p5h4/zen_browser_still_doesnt_have_a_signature/

-Dave

• faser
    faser
    Community Member
    edited October 7

@Dave_1P, the majority of people is using Windows, what is the way forward there?

• @faser

Thanks for the reply. Since Zen Browser isn't a supported browser, integration between the desktop app and the browser extension won't work. You might be able to use 1Password in the browser with Zen Browser (although you might run into issues since the team hasn't tested 1Password in that browser) but you'll need to unlock the extension separately from the desktop app using your account password.

There are many different browsers that users have requested support for and custom trusted browsers allow everyone the use of their favourite browser with 1Password, even if they're not supported. The custom trusted browsers feature has been a hit on the Mac and I've let the product team know that you'd like to see it be introduced for Windows as well. Thank you for the feedback!

-Dave

ref: PB-43152706

• MarvinJWendt
    MarvinJWendt
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Hi Dave, I would also be very interested in using 1Password in Zen on Windows. As I have been using 1Password for ages, I find it difficult to use a browser that is not supported by 1Password.

Zen is sort of the open source alternative to the “Arc” browser, which is already supported by 1Password and is trusted by default. Due to a fatal security vulnerability in Arc (already patched), many users are now considering switching to Zen.

What are the chances that Zen will be classified as a trusted browser in the near future?

Although the “Custom Trusted Browser” function on macOS is very practical and also desirable on Windows, I think it is easier for the developer team to classify the browser as trusted than to provide the function for Windows. Especially since the browser (Zen) is completely open source and based on Firefox, the security evaluation should be relatively easy.

Thank you very much!

• Dave_1P
    edited October 9

@MarvinJWendt

The team previously conducted extensive vetting of each individual browser that was added as a supported browser to 1Password. Since there are so many browsers out there, and it was impossible to vet each one, this process was only conducted for a small number of browsers that were being used by a certain threshold of our customers and that left other browsers behind.

As far as I'm aware the team isn't planning to bring back the old individual browser vetting and approval procedure as a regular process since not many browsers meet the threshold and it isn't sustainable. I've passed your comments along to the team so that they know that you'd find the custom trusted browsers feature useful if it was added to 1Password for Windows so that you can use Zen Browser (and potentially other unsupported browsers of your choice) with 1Password's app integration feature.

-Dave

ref: PB-43200011

• akAeextRJPrTkizgHsCK
    akAeextRJPrTkizgHsCK
    Community Member

+1 for the option to add unsupported browsers in windows 1password. I would like to use a firefox fork like floorp or zen browser with integration to the desktop app

• @akAeextRJPrTkizgHsCK

Thank you, I've passed your request along to the product team as well. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-39555773

• PurplProto
    PurplProto
    Community Member

I'm not sure if there's an easier to way or more preferred way to register interest. But I'd love to have this feature on both Windows and Linux! 🙂

• DgN
    DgN
    Community Member

I would like to register interest for this too please tell the team to add it to window versions soon!

• @PurplProto and @DgN

I've shared your interest and requests with the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-43595752
    ref: PB-43595799

• spookyblack
    spookyblack
    Community Member

Updated 1password to nightly build for the custom browser feature, later to realize it is a mac only feature.

I would love to see Zen support added, or the custom browser feature added to the windows client!

• ambasadagavioli
    ambasadagavioli
    Community Member

+1 for the trusted browser feature on Windows. I wanna use Zen, Floorp and Opera. You guys are basically the Apple of password managers now (walled garden, I know it's not completely the same, but still).

I've been using 1Password for many years, and I really do like it, but if this trusted browser feature doesn't get added soon, I'm gonna switch to Bitwarden.