1Password basic workflow

Options
chris_b
chris_b
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for a long time now. My workflow with it does not seem optimum. I am guessing that I missed something.

When I need to create an account on a website, I do the following:

• open 1password
  • create a new "login" entry
  • enter the name and url of the site
  • enter an email address
  • generate a password
  • save the entry
  • use the data in this new entry to fill the web form
  • submit the data

Then I am ask by Safari 1password extension if I want to save the data. But 1Password does not give me a way to link it to the just created entry. So it basically proposes me to create a duplicate.

I could rely on this prompt to save the entry but I like the idea to save the password beforehand.

So I just cancel the dialog box.
But then the login will never be auto-submitted or even auto-filled.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• Blond
    Blond
    Community Member
    Options

I've only been using 1Password 4 for a very short while and initially adopted the same workflow as you describe. After giving things a good kick round I found this to be a much better approach. See what you think.

1. Open 1Password Mini.

2. Start browsing the internet and open the page you want to log into.

3. Fill user name into web page.

4. Put cursor into password field.

5. Go to 1Password Mini -> Password Generator and click Fill. (If you have to confirm password 1Password usually fills both password fields, really neat bit of programming)

6. When you submit the form 1Password should ask if you want to save the details. In doing so 1Password will give you a title you can change and save user name, password and url. (Yet again really neat bit of programming) Unfortunately this occasionally fails which is really annoying but for a site where this happens go to 1Password Mini and click the gear wheel where you will find the option Save New Login, this has never failed me.

1Password has some really great features from 1Password Mini but I've found them to be poorly documented.

I used the above process to transfer my logins from Bento, rather than generate a new password I used the one stored in Bento then saved to 1Password. It's a much easier process than trying to export then import and allows me to do some housekeeping at the same time.

I hope this helps.

• Jonathan Lang
    Jonathan Lang
    Community Member
    Options

Even better (when it works), you can make a new identity in 1Password with all the commonly used details for creating new accounts, and when you have a signup form, try just filling the identity from the 1Password extension / mini. It will not only fill out your name, email and what else is required, it will also automatically generate a password with the last used settings (length, pronouncable, separator etc.).
    And after clicking submit on the form, it should offer to save the new login, as described by Blond above.

• chris_b
    chris_b
    Community Member
    Options

Blond, Thanks. I was not aware of the "Save new login" in 1Password mini.

Jonathan, it sounds promising but I fail to reproduce it.

When you say "make a new identity", is it a preference somewhere to enter default value for forms?
    Then when I go to a page to create an account, how can I use it?

Could you describe your method with more details please?

Thanks,
    Chris

• chris_b
    chris_b
    Community Member
    Options

Jonathan, I found out what you meant by new identity.

I followed your instruction on two websites. In both cases it filled some fields but failed to fill in a generated password. Perhaps I missed something.

Anyway with Blond's "Save new login" fallback and your workflow, it looks like I will improve my workflow.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.