Problem with 1password and a log in to Vanguard.

Options
bmoore9137
bmoore9137
Community Member

I have an account for myself and my wife for each our brokerage accounts. Vanguard uses the same starting website. We each have a different login id's and passwords. Neither of these accounts will open and stop at the login id and stop. Vanguard and it requires the entry of the logon id. After entering the log in id it moves a second page which requires the password. It stops at the logon id and will not move to the second page. Any suggestions. I have deleted each logon and started over a number of times with no results.

Comments

• bmoore9137
    bmoore9137
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a phone contact number for a live person for help on this site?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Have you looked at this knowledge base article about creating multi-page logins? Does it help?

Stephen

• bmoore9137
    bmoore9137
    Community Member
    Options

I have 4.3 beta 7. I tried their suggestions with no success. I can log into intuit essentials using the same log in routine and it works fine.

• Watertight
    Watertight
    Community Member
    Options

Same Vanguard account set-up for my wife and me. I've used four distinct 1PW logins -- a pair for each of us and identified as "initial login" and "password". While not elegant, it works and it's very fast.

Terry

• bmoore9137
    bmoore9137
    Community Member
    Options

No luck yet. Any suggestions.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bmoore9137‌, and @Watertight,

I'd like you to take a look at the post here on 1Password and Bank of America. The steps for this two-page Login should work for Vanguard as well. Please ensure that you are using https.investor.vanguard.com/home.

Please note that the first page will not auto-submit (because there is no password field), but other than that, things should work smoothly!

• jjodod
    jjodod
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having problems with logging into the Vanguard website.
    If I try to log in from the 1Password app, it takes me to the page where I enter my user ID. It will automatically enter that, but when I click on it and it takes me to the password page, no password is entered. If I try to enter it from the contextual menu, the site rejects the password as incorrect. If I try to double click on the Rich icon in the app, it takes me back to the original user name log in. The only way I can access the site is to click on the Rich icon and copy the password manually, then paste it in. Then it will work. After doing this I get a 1Password dialog box asking me to save as new log in or update existing. No matter which way I save it the problem persists. Is there a solution to this?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @jjodod,

I've included your post with a related topic about trouble using 1Password with the Vanguard site. Please see if @Megan's reply in post #7 here helps you out there. :)

• jjodod
    jjodod
    Community Member
    Options

I tried the solution referenced in #7. It did not work. It enters the log in, but when I load the password it rejects it as incorrect. If i log in manually , copy the same password from the 1Password app and paste it in the log in, it works. In trying to get this to work, I was shut out by Vanguard for too many attempts and had to change my password.

• Sky Captain
    Sky Captain
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Sorry... wrong thread :)

• Meek
    Options

Hi @jjodod and @bmoore9137‌,

Lets give the following process a try to get 1Password working on Vanguard.

1. Open the 1Password 4 for Mac app.
    2. Click the + button and select Login.
    3. Enter your username and password, and set the website to https://investor.vanguard.com/home.
    4. Save the Login.
    5. Visit the Vanguard site, and press ⌘. The username will fill. He noted that you will need to manually click Log On.
    6. On the password page, press ⌘\ again, and the password will fill, and it will automatically submit the form and log you in.

Please also note that Vanguard has a 10-character limit for passwords. However, they will accept any length and then use only the first 10 characters. This is not a problem if you manually enter the password, since any characters you enter past the first 10 are simply ignored. However, 1Password fills the password directly into the page thus inserting the FULL password (including any characters beyond the first 10). The full password (more than 10 characters) will never be a match for the first 10 (since the length isn't even the same), so it will always fail.

I suspect that everything will work properly if the password is changed to one which is only 10 characters in length.

Vanguard could handle this on their end by only comparing the first ten characters on the server side, but as far as I know they only do client side validation which 1Password breezes right past. We'll see how we can better accommodate on our end, but for now the solution is to use a password that is not longer than the maximum allowed by Vanguard.

This discussion has been closed.