When updating why do I have to enter my admin password twice? [Will fix in the future]

Options
365nice
365nice
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

I've been meaning to mention this for a while just in case there is something abnormal going on... I don't run with an admin account on my mac and when I update 1P it prompts me to enter an admin username and password (which installing any new software expects me to do) - however with 1P i get a second prompt to enter it again?

Is this normal? I would have thought that once you have those privileges you wouldn't need to ask for them again... It happens on both my macs. The only thing I can think of is that I get prompted for the main software and IPmini? But it seems odd that no other software seems to prompt twice.

I'm not sure if you have ever tested this scenario. Not many people seem to run with that extra level of paranoia - but someone suggested I do this when I first got a mac, and it seemed sensible.

Tim

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

I don't run as a limited user locally but If I recall correctly, The first request is a prompt to allow downloading of an app to be installed on the machine. I have one machine for a friend whom I keep admin access but seldom... if ever need to touch. The admin password is needed to do perform the download. The it is needed again to install it (make a change to the system). But I think for me this is Mac App Store apps ?

Maybe one of the others can chime in, but I thought I would say 2 prompts has appeared before for me at least.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@365nice:

Is this normal? I would have thought that once you have those privileges you wouldn't need to ask for them again... It happens on both my macs.

Yes, we're doing two different jobs in the background from the updater as it creates a new temp folder, unzip, move to a new place, correct permissions, and so on. The problem is that when the first job is terminated, so we then move on to the second list of commands, which causes OS X to bring up a new prompt as it wasn't the same process that was just terminated.

I believe we have plans to combine both jobs into one process, so that you only need to get prompted once as a standard user. I don't know when we'll do this but it's on our list to fix.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for replying - it sounds like nothing is wrong (although it does come across a bit odd). I can live with it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @365nice‌

I'm glad to hear that @MikeT's post helped explain things here! We're here if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

This discussion has been closed.