[CHANGE REQUEST] Rename of category "Social Security Number" to "Insurances"

Options
Michael Friedrich
Michael Friedrich
Community Member
edited June 2014 in Mac

I know in the US the Social Security Number is an important number. But in fact there are more insurances where I can store the number and additional Data of it in 1Password. So just call it "Social Security Number" is a waste of category name - "Insurances" would mean more options, and the Social Security Number can be just one of a plenty insurances.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for your feedback here! Luckily the 'Social Security Number' is listed as a minor category, so it won't clutter up your sidebar unless you have saved an item into this category.

:)

• Michael Friedrich
    Michael Friedrich
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @Megan,

I'm using it already cause up I needed a place to store all my insurance numbers and further details. But category is called with the social. As I'm german I don't know how many social security number Americans or Canadians usually have - is it more than 1 that it's worth to name a complete category? In Germany I have only one but a bunch of insurances for house, car, health...
    Michael

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Americans have one each also. In that category I have stored four entries, one for me, one for my spouse, and one each for our two children. That might be two more than I actually should have. So I agree that it's a little odd to dedicate a category to only a few entries. But on the other hand, I could image a business that keeps track of those numbers having many entiries for lots of clients, and it would important that they be stored securely.

Now that I think of it, the Passport category likely is of roughly similar use, in terms of number of entries in the category. I will only ever have one passport.

• frimble
    frimble
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps adding a new category of "insurances" would be of more use? Or allowing the user to add their own categories??

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @frimble,

Custom categories is a popular request, and I'm happy to add your vote to the request in our internal issue tracker. :)

• Spaceman
    Spaceman
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my vote for custom categories as well.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Spaceman,

Consider it done. :)

• Spaceman
    Spaceman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @Spaceman!

• Michael Friedrich
    Michael Friedrich
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth @Megan I agree the "Passport" category is also a bit "oversized" - but its OK - cause its a separate type of important document. But even here wording is misleading, cause I have one passport and a national ID card - both are stored unter Passports. So I would suggest to rename this category to a more "common" wording. And yes: Custom categories might be great as well - but I think its not comfortable, due behind all the Logins/Passports/Servers ... are kind of layout templates - don't know if 1Password will loose comfort here if this is complete free ... Maybe have both

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Michael,

Thanks for following up here!

As you can imagine, category naming is a bit of a tricky business - finding names that are general enough to work for users across the globe, and yet specific enough to help users find exactly what they need as quickly as possible. Your feedback is much appreciated. :)

This discussion has been closed.