Vault entry not shown by browser plugins

Options
pkropp
pkropp
Community Member
edited July 2014 in Mac

I have just discovered that a 1Password vault login item is not shown -- thus unavailable -- in the browser (Chrome and Safari).

How do I troubleshoot this?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pkropp,

Are you able to find the item in the main 1Password application?

One possibility why it's missing in the 1Password browser extension (through 1Password mini) is that the Display option for the item is set to Never Display in Browsers. This article explains it in more detail:

My Account > Login items are not showing up in 1Password mini

Another possibility is that you're using multiple vaults and the active vault doesn't contain the item you're looking for. You'll have to switch to the vault where the item is in order to access it.

Please let us know if that helps or if we need to investigate further to locate the missing item. Thanks!

• pkropp
    pkropp
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, thank you. The display option was set to Never Display in Browsers, which I have corrected.

But, how in the world would it have gotten in that state? I don't think I would have made that choice (obviously).

Finally, let me say that 1Password is pretty cool, but it appears you have not provided a comprehensive user manual. Mostly you give the user "getting started stuff" and then send them off to your discussions, where then you can point folks to more detailed information and tips on operation.

The program is now so complex that this omission in your support efforts is becoming a limitation for users understanding of your software. Take me for an example . . . .

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @pkropp. :)

The main reason for items being in that state mentioned in the article:

Many "Account" item types from 1Password 3 will be imported into 1Password 4 as Logins with the Display option set to Never Display in Browsers.

But if your item had previously been visible/usable in 1Password mini (and browsers) I'm not sure what caused it to end up with Never Display in Browsers set. Awhile ago I discovered one item (out of +700), created with 1Password 4, that mysteriously had it set. To keep an eye open for more after that, I created a is not shown in browser smart folder using this criteria:

And no new items have appeared there ever since. My hunch (hope?) is there was a short-lived bug in an earlier version responsible for this misbehavior.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about 1Password program complexity and its documentation. We're working on getting more information into the new 1Password 4 for Mac manual (and others), and the 1Password Knowledgebase. Suggestions are always appreciated. :)

This discussion has been closed.