Restoring 1Password 4.4.2 from Time Machine backup [resolved: restored 1Password 4 SQLite database]

Options
zstevek
zstevek
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

Hello,

I never used the backup function in 1password, instead I used time machine to backup my mac frequently. Now my mac notebook has been replaced and I reinstalled 1password on my new macbook and I need to get the 1password file from time machine so I an use it again. How do I find the 1password file in time machine so I can restore it to where 1password can see it?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Steve ( @zstevek ),

Have you reinstalled the 1Password 4 application, and run it at all, on your replacement Mac? Was syncing configured in 1Password on your older Mac and is it currently configured anywhere else?

1Password 4 for Mac stores its data in a different location (under your home folder) depending on which version you're using.

Agile Web Store version:
    ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4

Mac App Store version:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

Here's how you can locate it in Time Machine:

1. Open a Finder window
    2. Mount the drive for the Time Machine backup so you can see it in the list on the left
    3. You should see the name of the hard drive from the previous installation (usually Macintosh HD)
    4. Inside that you should find a folder named Users
    5. Inside of that you should find a folder named after the username of the user you used previously
    6. Once in that folder, press Command-Shift-G, then type in Library and click Go.
    7. Inside there you should see the two folders above (Application Support and Containers)
    8. If you used 1Password 4 from our Agile Web Store you'll look in the Application Support/1Password 4 location
    9. If you used 1Password 4 from the Mac App Store you'll look in the Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper location

You should find your 1Password data under one of those two folders. There may also be a Backups folder that contains backups, which you could copy to your Desktop and restore from.

After restoring your 1Password data you might also need to install the 1Password extension in you web browser(s).

I hope that helps. If you need more assistance with any of this please let us know!

• zstevek
    zstevek
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I followed your instructions for the mac store download because that is where I purchased the software. Once in the Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder I only see a folder called "data" and a file named "container.plist". When I expand the "data" folder I see a list of other folders like: "Desktop", "documents", Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, and pictures. I cannot find any data file for 1password, what is the name of the file I need to copy and which folder is it in? Thank you

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Once in the Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder I only see a folder called "data" and a file named "container.plist". When I expand the "data" folder I see a list of other folders like: "Desktop", "documents", Downloads, Library, Movies, Music, and pictures. I cannot find any data file for 1password, what is the name of the file I need to copy and which folder is it in?

This is the folder structure that Apple uses for containers, it's not a setup chosen by Agilebits. I forget the exact details of where the1PW file lives (and I'm almost asleep), but look inside the Library folder in the data folder in the ...com.agilebits.. folder

• Jasper
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @zstevek,

Your data is specifically located at: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/

There, you will find the OnePassword.sqlite file along with some others.

• zstevek
    zstevek
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you everyone! Everything is working now. I copied the OnePassword.sqlite file from my backup location to the same location in my macbook (overwriting existing OnePassword.splite file) and now It's working. Thanks again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, Steve ( @zstevek ), on everyone's behalf. :)

Thanks for letting us know what you did to successfully restore your 1Password data. Glad to here it's working now!

If you have any further issues or questions, please don't hesitate to start a new forum topic or email us directly at support@agilebits.com -- we're here to help! Since this discussion has a happy ending I'll close it now. :)

This discussion has been closed.