New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• fpn
    fpn
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

We want to used one password (Ubuntu 14.04, OS X).
    +1 for a Linux client

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the continued votes and feedback, folks. :)

Ben

• Taz77
    Taz77
    Community Member
    Options

+1

And there are more people wanting the same thing. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9091691

And this person wrote a Lua script to decrypt the 1Password vaults using your master password on Linux as a temp fix.

• Helladen
    Helladen
    Community Member
    Options

+1.

I use 1Password on Windows/Mac/iPhone. I have spent a lot of of money on the program due to it being the best local storage option for password - KeePass is the best free one.

I would definitely pay for the program as long as it wasn't too expensive, especially if people have bought the program before.

• Russell Damerell
    Russell Damerell
    Community Member
    Options

+1

I have used 1Password for years on Mac and IPad. Would love to able to use it on Linux as well!

• dannus
    dannus
    Community Member
    Options

I did purchase 1password and liked it however I now use Linux on my travel laptop so I switched to enpass. It does all the platforms and does not orphan the windows app like 1password.

• vzaliva
    vzaliva
    Community Member
    Options

I am currently switching from Mac to Linux as my primary computer (work reasons). I have identified 1Password as the single most critical app without which I can't live and hence switch completely. I always loved cross-platform aspect of 1Password which allowed me to use it across the several devices I use.

As some people indicated above, Linux version needs not to be sexy. For me, it is about being able to access my information. Even simple command line tool will work.

Also to anticipate your potential business concern that Linux users may not be willing to pay as readily as MacOS users, I can tell you that I, for one, will gladly pay full price for Linux app.

• azrobbo
    azrobbo
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux Support (Ubuntu or Debian).

I've been using 1Password on OSX, Windows and iOS for years, but had to install Enpass on my Ubuntu machines so I have access to my usernames & password.

You've made a lot of very valid points about not spreading yourselves too thin, and I understand the need for focus and maintaining quality & customer satisfaction. But just be careful about the possibility of another company (like Enpass) getting a foothold on these "evolving" platforms.

This it somewhat reminiscent of Microsoft's decision with Microsoft Office to ignore the mobile market and focus on Windows and Mac only. Their substantial lapse in releasing mobile versions allowed competitive products to gain substantial traction.

• pierrickv
    pierrickv
    Community Member
    Options

+1 :)

• Ben
    Options

We appreciate all of the votes folks. :)

Ben

• riquito
    riquito
    Community Member
    Options

We appreciate all of the votes folks.

Sorry, but after more than 5 years it doesn’t really feel like it. Even the apple watch has been deemed an higher priority, and the neverending "Thanks for the feedback!" comments sound hollow at this point.

Today I've been asked at the office which password manager we should introduce in the company. Since half of the company uses Linux I just couldn't suggest 1password (no, I won't have my colleagues install and setup Wine for a paid product) . We will put our money elsewhere, and I don't like it much. I will look into this thread every now and then for my personal future subscription, but today you lost a customer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We appreciate all of the votes folks.

Sorry, but after more than 5 years it doesn’t really feel like it. Even the apple watch has been deemed an higher priority, and the neverending "Thanks for the feedback!" comments sound hollow at this point.

@riquito: Well, we mean it. And as I'm sure you can imagine, developing for WatchKit is a comparatively small undertaking when compared to Linux.

Today I've been asked at the office which password manager we should introduce in the company. Since half of the company uses Linux I just couldn't suggest 1password (no, I won't have my colleagues install and setup Wine for a paid product) . We will put our money elsewhere, and I don't like it much. I will look into this thread every now and then for my personal future subscription, but today you lost a customer.

Understood. And I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that someday we'll be able to make a full-fledged Linux application. Unfortunately the answer at this time still has to be "not now". :(

• ferthalangur
    ferthalangur
    Community Member
    Options

@riquito ... If the information is not proprietary, would you mind sharing with the forum how many licensed users (not just Linux, overall enterprise-wide) you eventually expect to have installed?

• Nitecon
    Nitecon
    Community Member
    Options

I was in same position as @riquito which is why I started the Linux add-on but eventually just had to say no to 1 Password for it's non Linux port and non interest in developing a Linux port. So another 2000 or so sales for agile bits is down the drain. Sad cause I really like the product :(

• riquito
    riquito
    Community Member
    Options

would you mind sharing with the forum how many licensed users (not just Linux, overall enterprise-wide) you eventually expect to have installed?

@ferthalangur not as many as @nitecon, 20-30, growing

• dbrandon
    dbrandon
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux support. I use Linux at work and now that 1passwordAnywhere is no longer supported I'm nervous that I may lose access to my vault. I'm going to be typing passwords manually from my phone. Annoying. Like other people are saying, form filling is not necessary for me. Just any way to get at my logins.

• Ben
    Options

@dbrandon,

I realize of course that it isn't going to be a solution for everyone, but in case you have not seen already, 1Password for Families and 1Password for Teams do offer Linux compatible web interfaces that allow for not only reading but also writing of your 1Password data.

Also: we don't believe in data lock in. Our data format is totally open. Anyone can build a tool to interface with it. And our Mac and Windows clients offer the ability to export to plain text if desired.

I know a number of folks are holding out for a native Linux client, and that isn't off the table, but even if we decide to do such a thing it won't happen over night. We haven't mentioned any of this, that I've seen, on this page of this thread, yet, so I figured it would be worth reiterating the current state of things.

Thanks!

Ben

• JasonKh
    JasonKh
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Linux! I use it on Windows, OSX, and IOS as well. Man, if SqlServer makes it to Linux before 1password... ;)

Keep up the great work. I will take a look at 1Password for Families and Teams.

Best,
    Jason

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your vote, and the kind words! The Linux SQL Server situation is something I'm following, mainly because the "new" Microsoft has been doing a lot of "weird" (for "old" Microsoft) things recently. :pirate:

• t0d0r
    t0d0r
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

+1 from me too, I'm a big fan of MacOS and I'm using 1Password in last 6 years. The last models of Apple computers are lacking hardware customisation, so maybe I will switch back to Linux OS, but 1Password will miss me more that Mac OS. Please, make one native 1password app for linux, I prefer to hold my passwords locally.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote, @t0d0r!

Ben

• looselyrigorous
    looselyrigorous
    Community Member
    Options

Yello, thought I'd stop by for the yearly vote for some 1Password love on Linux. Although I did hackintosh my laptop, I am still very much interested in a native client.

I'll be back next year. Toodles!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @looselyrigorous!

Ben

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 for a Linux client. Doing more and more from Linux every day and it's a PITA to manage the 100's of passwords there that I deal with so easily on OSX.

• andreril
    andreril
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies for not reading all 28 pages; but is the issue a resource and funding issue?

Surely the magnitude of interest on this forum would generate $$ from a kickstarter / crowd funding exercise..

• Ben
    Options

Hi @andreril,

Thanks for writing in. I can't blame you for not reading all 28 pages. ;) The issue is primarily one of development resources (people) and also not wanting to run the risk of spreading ourselves too thin. This doesn't mean Linux is off the table, but we need to make sure we don't lose the focus and quality of our existing products.

Ben

• buro9
    buro9
    Community Member
    Options

I'm happy to put $100 towards a Kickstarter effort to pay for this, in addition to purchasing a licence once a native Linux client that integrates with Chrome, Chromium and Firefox has been developed. I'm probably not the only one who feels this way, I visit this one thread far too often to see if there is an update yet.

I'm not convinced by the spreading too thin argument, if 1password's mission and purpose is to provide the best password manager, then coverage of the systems that people use must be part of that. There's no reason the quality of an iPhone app, or a Windows app would suffer as a result of having someone working on a Linux app.

A Linux app would enable the company I work for to finally be able to purchase many licences which is only going to increase sales for you. Right now people are using a mix of so many individually purchased apps with Lastpass winning amongst the Linux and Android users, and a variety of solutions winning the Mac users (of which 1password is just one). A Linux client would be the final part of allowing the entire company to use just one piece of software, but whilst it doesn't exist we remain in a "Whatever works for you" world.

• hal9000
    hal9000
    Community Member
    Options

Six years for this thread to get 1password on linux. Please, please please.
    Like many here I registered just to post this comment.
    The kickstarter idea is a great one. I'd be happy to support it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not convinced by the spreading too thin argument, if 1password's mission and purpose is to provide the best password manager, then coverage of the systems that people use must be part of that. There's no reason the quality of an iPhone app, or a Windows app would suffer as a result of having someone working on a Linux app.

@buro9: You may think so, but that's not really an assertion you're in a position to make. Anyway, we're not trying to convince anyone. We have a responsibility and commitment to customers using 1Password for Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS (which includes multiple OS versions each, and then browsers). We're absolutely going to put those first. This is just the reality, and we want to be honest about that.

A Linux app would enable the company I work for to finally be able to purchase many licences which is only going to increase sales for you. Right now people are using a mix of so many individually purchased apps with Lastpass winning amongst the Linux and Android users, and a variety of solutions winning the Mac users (of which 1password is just one). A Linux client would be the final part of allowing the entire company to use just one piece of software, but whilst it doesn't exist we remain in a "Whatever works for you" world.

That's a great point, and certainly something we take into account when considering developing 1Password for a new platform.

@hal9000: Kickstarter is an interesting idea, but again, we're not willing to commit to something unless we're prepared to deliver.

I'm sorry I can't offer you the answer you're looking for right now.

• shareshed
    shareshed
    Community Member
    Options

+1 native linux version. As an IT admin, I choose the direction that multiple organizations choose in developing a password management strategy. The lack of native Linux support (which exists in Keeper & Lastpass) is a deal breaker and will prevent me from recommending this service.

This discussion has been closed.