New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that, but I understand completely: you need to choose based on your own needs (and those you're responsible for). I hope we'll be able to have a Linux app someday too.

• +1000

I use Linux (Mint and NixOS) and OSX interchangeably, and I do miss 1Password on my Linux machines. That being said, I have yet to try running it on Wine, but native support would be the way to go.

• Also, I'd gladly pay a full license again if funding it the problem, providing a fully native version is released for Linux.

• Ben
    Options

+1000

Thanks for the vote. ;)

I'd gladly pay a full license again if funding it the problem

It isn't, but thanks for the feedback!

Ben

• sir_pinecone
    sir_pinecone
    Community Member
    Options

This may have already been mentioned in the thread, but if someone comes across this and wants some form of 1password on Linux, you have the option to get read-only access to your passwords. What I do is sync my vaults with Dropbox and then bookmark the 1Password.html file (from within Dropbox) in my bookmarks bar. Now I can click that, log in, copy a password and paste it into a site. It's a little slow but it's better than no access at all!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

@sir_pinecone: Thanks, Ness! :pirate:

Unfortunately 1PasswordAnywhere's best days are long past. Please see this post:

Why is 1PasswordAnywhere not loading? [1PasswordAnywhere is dead] - AgileBits Support Forum

Since it's built on technology from the last decade, it won't be receiving updates from AgileBits, and it is likely that future improvements to Dropbox will cause it to stop working.

1Password Families (and Teams) is a better option because it doesn't require separate hosting (or another login), and you can manage data in the web interface as well. Cheers! :)

• vWilderman
    vWilderman
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for native Linux; Personally, I am using Enpass as an alternative solution for cross Linux, Mac and Windows. It works perfectly for a year, yet I still love to use 1Password in the linux.

• derekderaps
    derekderaps
    Community Member
    Options

My web agency, Kalamuna, would switch from LastPass to 1Password if there were Linux support. Just sayin'!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @derekderaps and @vWilderman!

Ben

• richmitch
    richmitch
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for me. I haven't seen an update on this thread since 2013, any movement on this?

• richmitch
    richmitch
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for me.

I have to use Fedora on my work laptop and with 1Password I'm hamstrung. Its a complete nuisance to have to type (and retype) 32-character password read from my phone

• Ben
    Options

Hi @richmitch

Thanks for the vote. The status is mostly the same. It is something we may be able to consider in the future (i.e. we haven't decided not to do it), but it also isn't something we're actively working on. We simply have too many irons in the fire right now to add another project that would require the level of attention that a native 1Password for Linux app would.

I'm sorry I don't have a more promising answer, but hopefully it is something we can address down the road.

Ben

• Zero2Cool
    Zero2Cool
    Community Member
    Options

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/297746

A separate browser addon/extension for 1Password Families (this is a web service), like Lastpass, could help many people here. I think the most people here would be very happy with this option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, it's something that would require a lot of work, and we simply don't have the resources to devote to a brand new, self-contained extension right now, but it's an option we're considering.

• Zero2Cool
    Zero2Cool
    Community Member
    Options

I know, you don't have a timeline for us... as for everything else

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. Rewriting the extension is not something we're actively working on right now, as we're focused on 1Password Families and the 1Password Teams beta. Definitely an interesting idea though!

• aeturvey
    aeturvey
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

+1 for Linux client

If you folks over at AgileBits ever decide to make a public commitment to support a native Linux client, a basic API of some sort, or even a clean Linux workaround, then I would enthusiastically jump on board. And I would recommend 1Password without hesitation. Until then, I just can't do it.

I think that your otherwise excellent product, with an unambiguous "cross platform" qualifier, would really be unstoppable in the market. I suppose I may be naive, but it just seems like a no-brainer.

Anyway, I've been watching this thread for over a year. And I registered to the forum today just to add (yet) another vote. Best regards.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aeturvey: Thank you! I really like the 'unambiguous "cross platform" qualifier' idea too and hope that one day we can make that a reality.

• nuzz
    nuzz
    Community Member
    Options

I guess I'll jump here too, I'm exactly like @aeturvey, I registered (created password on my iPhone and manually typed it into the browser on my linux laptop) just a few minutes ago to throw my vote in here. I've been coming back this thread for years now, mostly because I have a twisted sense of humor and this feels like a dark comedy. I've been using 1Password forever on Mac and sometimes Windows but I work on linux at every company I've ever worked in the past 10 years. Tons of coworkers not using any form of password management, I try suggesting they use 1Password but almost none of them use macs or windows at all.

See you next year? Probably

• Ben
    Options

@nuzz,

Have you looked at using the web interface of 1Password for Families or 1Password for Teams as a possible solution? We realize that doesn't fill the need everyone is looking for -- and that a native linux app would be preferable, but we just aren't there yet. Perhaps the web interface would do the job, at least until a better solution is available?

Ben

• jonasa
    jonasa
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Agilebits!

I know it's kinda the same old, same old, but I wanted to do my part... I want to quit my Mac and use Linux. And in this day and age, that's a lot easier than ever before! But you know what, there's one application I use every single day and depend on very heavily and just can't find a likable Linux alternative for, and that's 1Password (and honestly, Knox is pretty great too!). So congrats, you are THE killer OS X app that makes me stay.

I love you guys, but I'd love you more if you weren't pinning me down to a platform I want to move on from. And honestly, I don't care if the GUI isn't polished. Or if it doesn't exist. It's freaking Linux, after all! I want a way to sync my vault with Dropbox, decrypt it, and use the 1Password browser extensions to just log into stuff. Even if it was read-only, that'd make life on Linux so much better.

Anyway, I know it's not on the roadmap, and I know it's not coming anytime soon, or ever, because Linux is a) not a common desktop platform, and b) not known for its expansive community of people who like to pay for software licenses! But, you know, if there was an API for the browser extensions, I bet the OSS community would do the rest.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonasa: I'm tempted to make a really bad "year of the Linux desktop" joke here. God have mercy on my soul. :neutral:

But in all seriousness, we really haven't written off doing a Linux app long-term; it's just definitely not something we have the bandwidth for right now. But it's something that's on our minds and discussed whenever we stop to take a breath from everything else we're working on.

We have some folks here to who would really like to see a "1Password for Linux" too, but we have to be honest with ourselves and with our customers and admit that it just isn't going to happen now, or perhaps any time soon.

But the thing that gives us hope is that, as you mentioned, there are a number of possibilities that could prove effective, not only to users, but from a development perspective. Perhaps someday a "standalone" browser extension could be a stepping stone toward native Linux support, or integration with 1Password Teams/Families.

I'm really, truly sorry that I don't have better news to offer you and the rest of the passionate folks who are bound to Linux, either by choice or by trade, but you can bet that if and when we do, we'll be celebrating right along with you. :)

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

With Google and Dropbox pulling support for XP switching to linux become almost an imperative. The only thing standing in the. way is the lack of a linux version of 1password. I think the time to remedy that is now.

Thank you

• Ben
    Options

I agree completely that it is time to remedy Windows XP use, considering it died over a year ago:

Windows XP support has ended - Microsoft Windows

And for a long time before that it was on life support.

;)

The best we have to offer currently in terms of Linux support is the web interface provided by 1Password for Families or 1Password for Teams.

Ben

• vishaltelangre
    vishaltelangre
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

This is terrible to see that there is no native support for 1password on Linux (most people use Ubuntu flavor though). Asking people to install a windows application (.exe) using Wine sounds even terrible.

I just purchased it on my Mac, but looks like there's no support for my Ubuntu machine, which I use regularly.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: kb:1password-in-wine

• Ben
    Options

Hi @vishaltelangre

Thanks for the feedback. I've merged your post with another thread on the same subject. :)

Ben

• jclarkv
    jclarkv
    Community Member
    Options

I'd love to move to Linux-based Qubes-OS. BUt not without 1Password running natively.

+1 for Linux port. Would also gladly fund via Kickstarter.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, I'm happy to hear 1Password is such an important app for you! :)

• fclaycomb
    fclaycomb
    Community Member
    Options

Can we at least have access to the 1password beta app from windows 10 so that we can attempt to install via wine? I would be happy with that even.

• Ben
    Options

We may be able to arrange something along those lines soon. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.