Location of cache files and backups [follow-up support in email]

cordialhook
cordialhook
Community Member
edited January 2015 in Mac

Hi, I've just lost my main system due to motherboard failure and am trying to recover the latest version of my 1Password file. I believe there should be a cache copy or backups somewhere, I've looked in ~/Library/Application Support but couldn't find anything.

I believe I was using the latest version of 1Password (or close) on the latest version of OS X. My setup was that I had my 1password file stored on an External HD that I connected regularly to sync 1Password - I thought it had been, but it looks like it hasn't been syncing in months. I desperately need the cached files/a backup as I'm currently locked out of everything.

Where are these files saved? Thank you.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

There is a post here which refers to the normal location of the backup files (depending on whether you were running the Mac app store version or the AgileBits store version). I'm assuming you were running 1P4.

Stephen

• cordialhook
    cordialhook
    Community Member

Hi Stepen, brilliant, with your advice I've found Backup files dating a few days ago. How do I access these backup files, do I import them into 1Password? I'm on an older Mac now that only supports 1P3 so I presume I'll have to gain access to another system with 1P4 to do this?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cordialhook,

I'm sorry to hear about the failed motherboard on your main system, and glad you've got 1Password backups that @Stephen_C could help you locate.

Were you syncing your 1Password data anywhere? That might be a method of recovery with 1Password 3 instead needing access to 1Password 4 to do it.

• cordialhook
    cordialhook
    Community Member

Hi @sjk, no, I usually sync to a portable hard drive but have realised that it hasn't been syncing since a few months ago, despite my connecting it regularly.

So I have an old version of my 1Password library, and I have these 'backup' files. How do I combine the two into a working library of up to date passwords? I desperately need access to all my information. I lost my only Mac System, the other one I have is too old and only runs 1P3. Can I install 1P4 on Windows 8, import my 1P3 library, then import the backups?

• cordialhook
    cordialhook
    Community Member

I've just done some testing and it seems the hard drive that I harvested from my dying machine is also close to failure. Are there any other files beyond the Backup folder that I should copy off that 1Password might need?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

Hi @cordialhook,

How do I combine the two into a working library of up to date passwords? I desperately need access to all my information. I lost my only Mac System, the other one I have is too old and only runs 1P3. Can I install 1P4 on Windows 8, import my 1P3 library, then import the backups?

Unfortunately, 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 4 for Windows are not capable of reading the 1Password 4 for Mac backup files. By any chance do you have access to an iOS device capable of running iOS 8? If so, we might be able get your datafile into 1Password 5 for iOS.

Are there any other files beyond the Backup folder that I should copy off that 1Password might need?

You might want to snag your actual datafile in addition to the backups. Since you found the backups in the Application Support folder, it sounds like you're using the webstore version of 1Password 4 for Mac, but I'll give you the location for both versions, just in case:

Mac App Store data folder:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/

Webstore data folder:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password\ 4/Data/

Thanks so much for your patience here - I know this is a frustrating situation!

• cordialhook
    cordialhook
    Community Member

Hi @megan - I do indeed have an iPad Air running iOS 8. How would I go about importing my datafile into 1Password 5? Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014

Hi @cordialhook,

This guide will explain how to restore from a backup there, scroll down to the Restoring a Manual Backup section. Select the Backups folder you found in the previous instruction.

Can you tell me if you found your Data folder on the dying hard drive that Megan mentioned in post #7?

• cordialhook
    cordialhook
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT‌,

Yes I did manage to get the sqlite data file. Is there something I should attempt with this file before doing what is advised in the guide you've linked me to?

Many thanks

• cordialhook
    cordialhook
    Community Member

I placed the backup file (1Password 2014-09-18 18_47_15 (1 profiles, 734 items, 3 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip) in a Backups folder and did as the guide said, however 1Password's Restore from Backup field is grey.

• @cordialhook‌, were you sure to sync iTunes with the device after you placed the folder into iTunes? A sync is required to transfer it back over, then the field should turn Blue. I just tested this for myself on 1Password 5.1.

• cordialhook
    cordialhook
    Community Member

Hi @chrisdj‌, thank you for the advice but I just reconnected my iPad and Synced and nothing has changed other than my iPad being now backed up in iTunes. When I connected the iPad before syncing I saw it said the Backups folder was last modified yesterday - so it appears the file has definitely been there since yesterday. But the Restore option is still greyed out.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cordialhook,

Sorry you're still having trouble with restoring that 1Password backup to your iPad. Here's a possible solution:

Run Settings > Advanced > Create Backup once in 1Password on your iPad, then redo the steps for restoring a backup that you've done before.

That's what worked for me after discovering Restore from Backup was disabled when intending to use. Hopefully it'll be successful for you, too!

• cordialhook
    cordialhook
    Community Member

Hi @sjk,

I have tried to click 'Create Backup' as suggested, it says 'Creating Backup...' however after this, despite having created the backup, the 'Restore from Backup' button is still grey. I tried restarting the application and my iPad to no avail.

Surely if I've just made a backup in the application itself the 'Restore from Backup' function should be enabled?

I then proceeded in connecting my iPad and doing a 'Save to..' on the Backups folder, so I could see what files are there. The backups I just made on the device were visible along with my previously added backup. I did note however that the file naming scheme was different ["1Password 2014-10-15 11/30/50 am (1 profiles, 687 items, 1 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip" vs "1Password 2014-09-18 18_47_15 (1 profiles, 734 items, 3 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip"], so I tried renaming to match the time format of the natively created backup (2014-10-15) and re-adding. That didn't work, the 'Restore from Backup' function still disabled.

So I tried replacing the folder entirely once again with my original Backup, with its original filename. Once again, no luck.

I'm so very disappointed, I've lost access to tons of critical systems and have been trying to recover my credentials for almost a month now. It seems the 'Restore from Backup' function isn't going to ever work for me, what other options/hope is there? What about recovering my data from the sqlite file?

Many thanks

• @cordialhook‌, The sqlite file can be used to get 1Password up and running on a Mac. It can't be used on the iOS app. I know you recently had a motherboard failure, but do you have another Mac running somewhere?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cordialhook,

I have tried to click 'Create Backup' as suggested, it says 'Creating Backup...' however after this, despite having created the backup, the 'Restore from Backup' button is still grey.

Sounds like you saw the Creating Backup … message similar to this:

Restore from Backup should definitely have been enabled after that finished. Sorry to hear it wasn't, leaving you stuck again.

This backup file you mentioned has a filename formatted in a way that 1Password for iOS will recognize:

1Password 2014-09-18 18_47_15 (1 profiles, 734 items, 3 folders, 0 attachments).1p4_zip

If you don't mind starting from scratch on your iPad, here's what I suggest you try next:

• Uninstall the 1Password for iOS app on your iPad.
    • Reinstall the app directly on your device.
    • Go through the New 1Password user guide to create a new vault. You can make the Master Password something easy to tap since it (and this vault) will hopefully only be used temporarily.
    • Create a couple items with any data since they're only intended to be temporary.
    • Run Settings > Advanced > Create Backup.
    • If Restore from Backup now appears, then go through the Restoring a Manual Backup section of the iTunes Backups guide. Make sure you add the correct Backups folder to iTunes in steps 7 and 8.
    • When you return to 1Password for iOS, you should still see and be able to select Restore from Backup to restore your backup data from the Backups folder.

I sure hope that will finally work for you!

• cordialhook
    cordialhook
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

Hi @sjk, thank you for your suggestions. However despite following your steps exactly, after reinstalling the app from the App Store and creating test items I click 'Create Backup' in my new vault and it shows exactly what you have screenshotted, before returning to the Advanced menu with 'Restore from Backup' still greyed out. :'(

It looks like it's going well...

But this is the result:

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Thanks for giving that a try, @cordialhook. It's puzzling to me why a fresh app install didn't help.

So we can peek under the hood and see what's happening, please send us a Diagnostics Report from your iPad. Including your forum username in that email, and a brief comment here mentioning you've sent it, will help us connect the dots. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out. Thanks in advance!

ref: USG-89986-419

This discussion has been closed.