I need to set up a shared vault, while each user still has a personal, private vault.

Options
Malice606
Malice606
Community Member

I'm using 1Password for Mac and iOS for my business, as well as personal use. What I would like to set up is a shared vault for business-related passwords with one of our directors, while he and I would each be able to keep our personal vaults separate. Is this possible? We've both tried to figure out a good way to do this, without much luck.

Thanks!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Malice606,

What you're looking for is definitely possible! First of all, your director should set up 1Password as a new user (if he hasn't already.) Each of you will store your personal details in your individual primary vaults (the first vault you create when you set up 1Password.)

Then, you'll want to set up a secondary vault: 1Password > New Vault. Customize it however you wish (including lock colour and/or a fun image to make it easy to differentiate!) Then follow the instructions in our User Guide on how to share a non-primary vault. You'll need to either use a shared Dropbox account or a folder shared across your individual Dropbox accounts.

This set-up keeps your personal data secure and lets you share your work details.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• Malice606
    Malice606
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much! This worked great. My only complaint is that the color I chose for the new vault apparently doesn't transfer to the other users?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Malice606,

I'm so glad that worked!

You're right, the colour choice doesn't automatically transfer to all vaults. I wish it did too, but this way each user has the option to set up their own fun colour when they install the vault. :)

This discussion has been closed.