Multiple version use

Options
str
str
Community Member

Here is my situation. I have a mac with both OS X 10.6.8 and 10.10 which I plan on keeping that way. I have a notice in 10.6.8 that I can upgrade 1Password from version 3.8 to version 4. But when I go to your website and put in the serial# it only offers version 5 which is only compatible with 10.10. I do plan to upgrade on 10.10 to version 5.

Here are my questions:
1. Is version 4 available for purchase and is it compatible with OS X 10.6.8? If it is how do I get it? Will the version 5 license cover version 4?
2. I am keeping the db file in dropbox. I've already entered info in version 5 while in 10.10 but when I look for it in version 3.8 I don't see the new entries. Are the two different versions compatible?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@str‌

The keychain files are indeed compatible, thought some informations you have found out will not be readable by the older version. This is to be expected.

All users running version 4 received a free upgrade to version 5. So yes your license key should work just fine on version 4 of the app. Worst case scenario would involve emailing support and having them generate a version v license key. But that should not be needed.

As to requirements, for running the various versions of 1Password:

5.x requires OS X Yosemite (10.10) or better.

Legacy Versions

4.x requires OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), or Mavericks (10.9).

3.x (AgileBits site version) requires : OS X Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7) or Mt. Lion (10.8).
    (Mac App Store version) requires : Lion, or Mt. Lion.

2.x Tiger & Leopard.

• str
    str
    Community Member
    Options

Can you elaborate on what info would not be readable on v.3.8 which was entered in v.5? For instance, I am not seeing a login I generated on v.5. What else?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

It should be seeing things like logins. Things like custom fields should not re readable by the older version (4 yes, 3 no). As to a list I am afraid I simply don't know. It has been too long for me running 1Password 3. For that it may be best to ask the staff. cc @MikeT‌ @Megan

What sync method are you using, it should be Dropbox. Yep just as you mentioned. Is it running on all machines. When you add a secure note for example on machine 1 can you see Dropbox syncing on machine 2.

• str
    str
    Community Member
    Options

Shoot. You made me realize something with your last comment. Dropbox was not running in the older machine since I updated the entries in 1password v.5. I just started it and now I can see the missing entry after all. So I'll be sticking to v.3.8 on the older OS.

Thanks for the info!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @str,

I hope that @thightower‌'s posts have been helpful. There are a few big changes to the 1Password database between versions 3 and 5. As mentioned above, custom fields do not exist in version 3. This means that if you have created custom fields in version 5, you will not see them in your entries in version 3. These custom fields will still be saved in the entry unless you make changes to that entry in version 3. If you are the type of person who likes to add details to your entries, I would recommend using the 'Notes' field, as it exists in both version 3 and version 5.

Another difference between version 3 and version 5 is in categories: 1Password 3 for Mac has an 'Accounts' category, 1Password 5 for Mac does not. In 1Password 4 (and 5) the 'Accounts' category has been removed. There is an 'Email Accounts' category, and any items in version 3's 'Accounts' category that do not fit into that type are migrated into the 'Logins' category. If you are syncing between version 3 and version 5, I would recommend avoiding the 'Accounts' category.

If you have any further questions, we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.