1Password Problem with Wells Fargo Site - On Mac, iPad & Android Phone

Options
glindsey
glindsey
Community Member

I am having a peculiar problem with using 1Password on the Wells Fargo Site, and I am not sure to which discussion forum to post this information, as it is occurring on my Mac, running 1Password version 5.1. beta 2, on my iPad running version 5.1.1 (App Store version) and on my Android phone running 4.1.2b2 (20140911). Since this problem is universal and not specific to any particular beta, I do not think it is a problem with the beta versions of this app.

I have a cardholder account with Wells Fargo, and when I log onto the site using 1Password, it autofills my user name and pass. Then a message pops up that says an error has occurred and my name and/or password is incorrect and I am redirected to a page where I manually can re-enter my name and pass. Now, if I copy the name and pass from my 1Password Wells Fargo entry into their respective fields and click the "submit" button, I am taken to my account information.

So, the name and password that I have listed for this account is obviously correct, or the manual entry of these items would not permit me to access my account. I suspect it may be some sort of security feature specific to that site that is rendering 1Password ineffective at logging into the site, but I am clueless as to what might be the problem.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glindsey‌

Thanks so much for providing such a detailed report. Whenever I see an issue like this - where copying and pasting the details works, but 1Password's fill feature does not, the first thing I suspect is some hidden password restrictions on the site.

Sometimes, a website will have an invisible cap on what can be typed in the password field. If you type in a password that is longer than the acceptable length, you may notice that the final characters that you type are not being logged. Of course, if you are using our strong password generator to generate "super-secure-long-password", you wouldn’t notice that the website is silently ignoring the last few characters, and saving "super-secure-long-pa” instead. When you copy and paste the password in, it works in such a way that the website sees the "super-secure-long-pa” part and can still ignore the excess. Filling with 1Password works a little bit differently though, so you might get an incorrect password warning.

The best solution here is to determine if there are any hidden password restrictions for the site and create a fresh password that fits within those restrictions.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Aha, having read Megan's response reminded me of the first post in this thread, which may help with the password length business.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Stephen_C,

Thanks so much for clarifying my suspicions! @glindsey, I hope that creating a shorter password allows 1Password and Wells Fargo to play nicely together. :)

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stephen and Megan! Problem solved!

• You're welcome, @glindsey! :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.