How to set up sync

Options
olafw
olafw
Community Member

I have run 1PW5 on my iMac (yosemite 10.10.1) just fine. To transfer my data to a brand new Macbookpro (same OS) I disabled 'sync' on 1PW5 on my desktop and set it to Dropbox then transferred my data. So far so good. But I don't want to continue using the cloud to sync. Can I sync with my laptop via home wifi? What are my best options? Thx.

Comments

• Cal
    Cal
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same question: Desktop, laptop, iPhone on same network. Can I sync all 3 on wi-fi?

• Hi guys,

Right now, Wi-Fi sync can only sync between mobile devices and computers. We do want to extend that between computers as well but I don't know when that might happen. I'll add both of you to our list of users who would find this very useful to have.

@olafw‌:

Can I sync with my laptop via home wifi? What are my best options? Thx.

1Password does support Folder Sync, which creates a sync folder that you can ask a sync tool to sync with. If you use your own local sync tool like ChronoSync, rsync, and anything like that, you can use that to sync the 1Password folder between your Macs. To find out more, please read our article here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync-folder

@Cal:

Desktop, laptop, iPhone on same network. Can I sync all 3 on wi-fi?

Yes but it is a bit complicated. Basically, you have to sync your computers using your iPhone as the middleman. It works like this:

1. Set up iPhone to sync via Wi-Fi to your desktop, which requires a Wi-Fi code from your desktop.
    2. To switch to the laptop, you configure the iPhone to change the Wi-Fi sync, which will then show you the other computers in the network to select from. You then select the laptop and enter the code from the laptop and that'll push the data from the desktop and iPhone to your laptop and vis versa.
    3. To switch back to desktop, you repeat step 2 by changing the sync to the desktop. You won't need to enter the code, it'll be retained in the app, you just have to select the computer and be all set to go.

Let me know if that helps and if you need further assistance.

This discussion has been closed.