Support for fingerprint unlock [released]

Comments

• I wish I could give you a concrete answer, but unfortunately I don't have that information. I can say that we're still working on finishing up fingerprint unlock support, and we're hoping it won't be too long now. :)

• Alchemjst
    Alchemjst
    Community Member

Really hoping this feature rolls out!

• Thanks for letting us know! We're excited for this too. :lol:

• trammel
    trammel
    Community Member

I'm really looking forward to this, especially as it was announced in May 2015, and demo'd at GoogleIO back then too. Enpass just updated their app to support fingerprint authentication in Marshmallow also.

• We hear you loud and clear! There are a number of big changes we like to include in the release with fingerprint scanner support and our team has been hard at work with that. We are getting close to seeing fingerprint unlock, thanks for your understanding!

• adam_b
    adam_b
    Community Member

+1 vote for this feature!

I actually often carry my iPad around just because it's so much easier to get into 1Password on iOS with biometrics. I use 1Password for other secure data than just website logins, so it's really valuable when I'm travelling.

Please please please prioritise the Android fingerprint access feature? Is it on your roadmap yet?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015

I use 1Password for other secure data than just website logins, so it's really valuable when I'm traveling.

@adam_b: I couldn't agree more!

Please please please prioritise the Android fingerprint access feature? Is it on your roadmap yet?

Yep! ;) :+1:

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member

+1 for this feature, now with Nexus 5X and 6P having the fingerprint sensors (or Nexus Imprint as they call it).

• Thanks for the :+1:! We can't wait to get fingerprint unlock out. :)

• badeen
    badeen
    Community Member

Please ignore this if it is not yet possible as I'm not the most familiar with latest Android SDK capabilities. Since I got my nexus 5x it's been great to use the new fingerprint scanning. I've become very accustomed to it on my iPhone and love using Touch ID with 1Password there. If possible, it would be great to get that same capability on my nexus/Android.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Marshmallow
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Thanks for the feedback @badeen. We plan to support fingerprint unlock for Android Marshmallow in an upcoming release!

• Eluder
    Eluder
    Community Member

Hopefully this rolls out soon. Moved from an iPhone 6s Plus to a Nexus 6p and would love to be able to use the ultra fast fingerprint scanner with 1password.

• Ooh! Glad to hear you got the new 6P. I hope you like it. I'm still waiting to get mine. :) We'll keep you posted with any new developments!

• Eluder
    Eluder
    Community Member

It's an amazing phone, probably one of the best if not best I've ever had and I've used a ton of phones working in this industry for 7 years. You won't be disappointed when you get it.

• Good to hear you like it so much! I'm sure it's awesome. :) I can't wait to get mine!

• 411pass
    411pass
    Community Member

Yes, the 6P is awesome! Fingerprint support in 1P will make it even better.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indubitably! :chuffed: :+1:

• Arm
    Arm
    Community Member

I hope once integrated fingerprint will be able to replace mater password 100% of the time rather than asking it after some period of time? Do we know that answer already?

• When released, fingerprint unlock will be a secondary unlock method similar to Touch ID on iOS and the PIN code on Android. Since the vault is encrypted with the Master Password, the Master Password will need to be entered every time the vault is locked or exited, in order to decrypt it. You'll be able to set the security settings to require fingerprint unlock as long as the Master Password is still in memory.

• Arm
    Arm
    Community Member

what does it mean while in memory? Not familiar how android works behind the scenes so I'm interested. Does this mean that each time I close the app or reatart my phone I'll be required for master password? If so then it's the same as the pin and since the app is closed from time to time master password is still annoying to type in especially if you have a secure one. Kind of hoping that once you enter master password on the phone I could never enter it again and just use fingerprint.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

what does it mean while in memory? Not familiar how android works behind the scenes so I'm interested. Does this mean that each time I close the app or reatart my phone I'll be required for master password?

@Arm: Exactly! Your Master Password isn't saved anywhere, so it needs to be entered to decrypt your data. Of course, Master Passwords should be a little bit annoying to type, as that's what's protecting our sensitive data...

..and of course that's the problem that fingerprint sensors hope to solve. Even if we can enter the Master Password less often, that can allow us to use a better Master Password with a little less pain. Looking forward to it! :)

• Arm
    Arm
    Community Member

How does safeincloud decrypt their vault then because I only enter password once and now even if I reatart my phone I can just use fingerprint.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Arm: Hmm. That means your password is being stored somewhere on the device. You'd have to ask them where they're storing it and how they're securing it when they do so. The details matter.

• Arm
    Arm
    Community Member

Android is pretty safe itself if you're not installing any cracked apps so wouldn't it make sense to add an option for app to store encrypted password somewhere on the phone with letting users know what they're getting in to?

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member

@brenty: Do you envision that the Android version will ask for your master password (vs. fingerprint) more than iOS. On my wife's iphone the only time where I've seen it ask for the master password again is after a reboot. If yes, is the issue that Android doesn't have anything analogous to iOS Keychain? Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015

Android is pretty safe itself if you're not installing any cracked apps

@Arm: I couldn't agree more! The key difference from iOS in this regard is that rooting is much more popular on Android.

so wouldn't it make sense to add an option for app to store encrypted password somewhere on the phone with letting users know what they're getting in to?

Yes! I can't promise anything at this point, but our goal is to make it as convenient as possible without sacrificing security. :chuffed:

@brenty: Do you envision that the Android version will ask for your master password (vs. fingerprint) more than iOS. On my wife's iphone the only time where I've seen it ask for the master password again is after a reboot. If yes, is the issue that Android doesn't have anything analogous to iOS Keychain? Thanks!

@opuntia2: There isn't a direct analog on Android, but there are other OS features we may be able to use to achieve a similar result. As I mentioned above, we'd like to avoid making it necessary to enter it as frequently, but we won't (and can't) remove the need for the Master Password entirely. It's crucial to your security. It's too early to say for certain how far we'll be able to take this, but if we're able to keep it secure (and not encourage people to forget their Master Passwords) that's what we'd like to do. :pirate:

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member

I just got my Nexus 5X and the fingerprint sensor works really fast (compare to Touch ID in my iPad). The fingerprint support is really important, I hope it can be released ASAP.

Thank you for the works done. 1P is a great software, but the development for Android devices is kinda slow compare to Apple devices.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BXIA: It will absolutely be released as soon as possible — which means after we've finished polishing and testing it fully, of course! ;)

And never fear: we still have a lot of cool things in the works for 1Password for Android. Thanks so much for your encouragement! :chuffed:

• Arm
    Arm
    Community Member

I would vote for being able to store encrypted password on my phone so that I could just replace it with fingerprint on my phone. This could be optional of course. I never install any cracked appso so I'm 100% sure that I'm safe that being said I'm sure there are a lot of other users like me and this would really add a lot of convenience. And I'm not suggesting of storing it in plain text of course :)

• Thanks for the feedback! I'll go ahead and pass this along. :)

This discussion has been closed.