Can I share a vault between my Mac host and a VM using a shared folder?

I have a vault shared via dropbox across all of my devices, including my Macbook. I also use Windows VMs a lot on my Mac so I wondered if I could use a VMWare shared folder from within the client Windows VM to access my vault on the host, rather than having a whole separate dropbox sync configured in the VM?

Grateful as ever for advice and apologies if this has been asked many times before.

Comments

• Hello @PaddyTB !
    If you use Dropbox on your Macbook to sync 1Password vault across another devices and have VMWare Fusion for Mac on your Macbook to run Windows VM, you can share the vault folder, which is ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ ( ~ is Home folder) by VMWare settings. The KB article from VMWare is here here .
    When you will have VMWare shared folder setup done, you will see 1Password folder as network share on your guest Windows OS. The better way is to map that network share as network drive and then point 1Password vault location in Windows app to this drive in the menu File->Preferences->General->1Password vault->Choose another.
    Please make sure you have VMWare tools installed on your Windows VM and you have current 1Password backup done before setup process.

Hope this information will be helpfull.
    Vitaly Guk. AgileBits

• PaddyTB
    PaddyTB
    Community Member

Thanks Vitaly, compehensive answer and just the confirmation I needed :-)

• You're welcome! Happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.