1P4 Mac/iP5 iOS won't sync: "Network unreachable"; 1P3/1P3 syncs fine!

SurfnTurf
SurfnTurf
Community Member

OS X 10.9.5; iOS 8.4.1; 1P3.8.21 Mac; 1P4.4.3 Mac; 1P3 iOS; 1P5 iOS.

I can't get 1P4.4.3 Mac to sync over ad-hoc WiFi with 1P5 on my iPhone. Oddly, 1P3 on the Mac will sync just fine with 1P3 on the iPhone over the exact same connection. I'm still trying to get past the Welcome To 1Password screen on the iPhone.

I've tried resetting network settings on the iPhone (which is a PITA considering how many unrelated things it resets to defaults, such as the phone's assigned name…) with no fix. I do run Little Snitch, but leaving it enabled has never affected 1P3/1P3 ad-hoc WiFi syncing; disabling it now just in case produces no fix.

The message is:
"Sync Problem
Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomainCode=51 "The operation couldn't be completed. Network is unreachable"

I would like to re-iterate that 1P3 on the Mac syncs just fine with 1P3 on the iPhone using the exact same ad-hoc WiFi connection, attempted within moments of a failed 1P4/1P5 sync.

Assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I would like to re-iterate that 1P3 on the Mac syncs just fine with 1P3 on the iPhone using the exact same ad-hoc WiFi connection, attempted within moments of a failed 1P4/1P5 sync.

@SurfnTurf: I'm sorry you're having so much trouble! Regardless, 1Password 4 and later uses a completely different Wi-Fi Sync protocol from earlier versions, so it isn't surprising that you'd see different results.

The strange thing is the error you're getting. Typically a timeout occurs when the connection cannot be established, but I haven't seen this particular error for a long time. In previous cases, the only thing that helped was Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings, but it sounds like you may have already tried that.

The best thing to do would be to disable Little Snitch (or any other software that may be interfering) temporarily to see if it helps, and follow the steps in this guide to check your network setup to help narrow down the cause:

Wi-Fi troubleshooting

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• SurfnTurf
    SurfnTurf
    Community Member

Just FYI: I always sync via ad-hoc Wi-Fi, even when a common network is available.

All the following changes are cumulative. At every step I re-attempted sync, with no success and the exact same error message.

On OS X:
    1) Disabled firewall
    2) Renamed computer in Sharing to contain only letters, no spaces, all lower-case, and rebooted
    3) Generated a new secret in 1P4
    4) Renamed the ad-hoc network to contain only letters, no spaces
    5) Disabled Little Snitch

On iOS:
    1) Reset Network Settings (as I already noted in my OP)
    2) Enabled Airplane Mode before connecting to the ad-hoc WiFi network
    3) Forgot the ad-hoc network then re-initialised the connection
    4) Quit 1P5 from the App Switcher

Positive results have never changed: my Mac shows up in the list on the iPhone, beneath it the correct IP address and a port number (49184). This is as far as I ever get.

• Thanks, @SurfnTurf.

Could you please open 1Password's Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings on your iOS device and select Database, Replicator, Sync, and Wi-Fi Sync? Then attempt the sync again. Assuming it still fails, I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• SurfnTurf
    SurfnTurf
    Community Member

Hi,
    Um, how do you propose I reach the "Settings" option? I'm currently stuck at the "Welcome to 1Password" dialogue. This offers either:
    1) Create new vault; OR
    2) Sync existing vault
    In the system's Settings app, 1Password 4 doesn't yet declare anything except "Background App Refresh"

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2016

@SurfnTurf,

Apologies. I didn't realize you were stuck on the welcome screen. Please create a new vault (using the same Master Password you use on Mac) and then follow the instructions I posted above. You can establish WiFi sync after the fact (once you've created a vault).

It is indeed the settings within 1Password (not the system settings app) that we're looking for.

Ben

• SurfnTurf
    SurfnTurf
    Community Member

Support ID #SSB-49899-597

• Thanks, SurfnTurf. We've received both reports and will continue the conversation via email.

Ben

ref: SSB-49899-597

This discussion has been closed.