To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Lost Master Password. Following article on deleting 1Password data but still confused.

Options
Bonkat
Bonkat
Community Member

First, no matter how many times I entered a wrong password, no password hint shows up. So I tried following the instructions to delete the 1Password folder on Windows Local folder. However, once that is deleted, if I click on the 1Password icon in programs, it asks me to re-install the software. Once reinstalled, I still don't know how I'm supposed to reset the password.

Any help will be great...

Bonnie

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Bonkat! I'm sorry to hear about the lost Master Password. 1Password accounts do not have hints for Master Passwords, which is why you aren't seeing one when you try to sign in. We'd be happy to help you get things reset. Could you email us at support@1password.com? We'll help you delete your account and start over.

• Bonkat
    Bonkat
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, if that's the case, maybe you should also remove the mention of "hint" on your help website (https://support.1password.com/master-password/) under section "Recover your password"?

I will send separate email to support@1password.com. Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

Sorry for the confusion. As Jacob mentioned, 1Password accounts do not have password hints. We tried to leave room for that in the way it was worded:

Try typing in your Master Password multiple times. After three failed attempts, you’ll see your password hint if you set one.

But there is always room for improvement. Thank you for bringing this to our attention! We'll see how we can improve here going forward.

It looks like Roman has been assisting you via email. We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion. :+1:
    ref: KJI-94673-866

• SunnyG
    SunnyG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have lost my Master Password, well it seems to not like what I thought I had set it to.. your support team are useless, its been 3 days since opening the ticket and I have had nothing come back to me other than the automated response. The escalation email address is even worse, as I have not had anything from them. I cannot access any of my passwords to which some I need to access urgently.

If not allowing to set a password hint, at least provide some way to reset the master password.. You would think that the account key would provide some assistance in resetting it... what the point of the key if it is only to be used to log in?

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SunnyG - Thanks for reaching out and sorry it took us a while to get back to you. I've just replied to your support email. Let's continue the conversation there. :)

ref: MAE-78228-951

This discussion has been closed.