To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Secret key issues with two accounts

Options
PeterL
PeterL
Community Member

I have a secret key for an account but it does not work. I have another team email address, but don't have the secret key for that. Support has provided me with the first few digits of the secret key for both accounts. The one doesn't work, and the second I don't have.
I was also having problems with my Windows 10 login. It was freezing up each time. I deleted the app hoping to reinstall to fix the problem, but need the secret key.

I have tried your support help but keeps asking for secret key which I don't have.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PeterL: First of all, AgileBits will never ask you for your Secret Key. This is generated locally on your device during signup and should never be shared with anyone. Unfortunately the flip side of that is we can't "recover" or "reset" it for you. You need the Secret Key to access your account, and one from another account will not work. There just isn't any way around that. But if you'll let me know what you have to work with, I'll be happy to help walk you through things.

However, if you are part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Organizer or Admin can help you recover the account:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

We simply don't have access to your data, or any keys that can be used to help you regain access to it though. That's fundamental to the security of all 1Password users. But there are a few other possibilities that might be of help to you:

• If you'd saved your Emergency Kit, that should contain your account information
    • If you have setup any authorized devices using your 1Password.com account currently, you can access your account information there (1Password Settings/Preferences > Accounts)
    • You could access the data in an authorized 1Password app or web browser and copy your data to a new account, provided you know your Master Password

Otherwise you will need to start over with a new account if you cannot access your current one. Let me know what you have to work with, and we'll figure out the best plan of action.

• PeterL
    PeterL
    Community Member
    Options

I have a secret key but the account doesn't work, it actually doesn't ask for secret key, just master password. I have my master password but not the secret key for the account that was set up a few days later.
    Can we bring this conversation to email, so I can give you account info

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PeterL: You should not give us account information. Everything we should have (email address, payment status, etc.) we already have in our system, and everything else (Secret Key, Master Password) we never have and never should. We can continue the conversation via email if you wish at support@1password.com but I want to be clear that there isn't going to be a switch we can flip to grant you access. Only you ever have the keys.

What may help you is that you won't be asked to enter the Secret Key in the app/browser if it's already authorized. There you can unlock using just your Master Password, and then the Secret Key and other account information can be found in Settings/Preferences/Profile. If you'll tell me where you are using 1Password where you can unlock it with only the Master Password, I can be more specific as to where to look for your Secret Key. Thanks in advance!

• PeterL
    PeterL
    Community Member
    Options

I have tried online, on my app for iPad. I have the licence key for 1Password for Teams but it comes up with an error message:

Cannot sign in.

Unable to get property 'format' of undefined or null reference

I have the data still on my ipad, should I just reinstall and sync?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PeterL: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, it sounds like you may simply be using an old/incompatible browser. Let me know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.