[Beta Test - Usability - Minor] Settings / Import Fly-outs

hudl2user
hudl2user
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

The below is submitted as beta-test feedback. There is no need for Agilebits to respond in detail unless it is felt that it would benefit the wider community. Basically this is one for the programming team's "post-it" wall of "things to consider"...

The settings dialog fly-out can be triggered from the menu bar (a) or by using the F9 function key (b). Once open the fly-out can be closed using the menu, F9 key or clicking anywhere within the 1Password window that is not being used by the fly-out (c) (possibly also touch swiping but I cannot test that).

Once open it is not quickly obvious how to close the settings dialog. As any changes to settings are apparently activated immediately there are no "Save / Cancel" buttons often found on settings dialogs.

Due to the placing of the fly-out, immediately above it and to the right is the "X" of the close button on the Menu Bar (d). It is suggested that it is likely that some users, when not being able to see a method to roll-up the fly-out ON the fly-out, will click on the "X" and close the main program window in error. Re-opening the app will re-open the app with the settings fly-out closed and the changes apparently enabled. However this may frustrate some users and make it unclear as to whether the selected changes have actually been applied.

The suggestion is that consideration is given to placing a "done" or "close" button on the fly-out (e?)

The same applies to the "Import" fly-out although with this one there is no function key allocated.

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: None
OS Version: Win10 pro x64
Sync Type: None

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @hudl2user,

Thanks for the feedback.

Flyout is relatively a new concept on Windows and we've been looking at various apps to find a better solution but most of them appear to do the same.

Here's Mail for an example:

and Edge:

I agree with you, I find myself questioning the same thing initially but over time as this becomes more popular, it became second nature to me. On the other hand, Windows 7 doesn't have this concept and we use this on Windows 7 too.

It is something our design team keeps wondering about. So far, you're the first to comment on this. We'll keep an eye on this.

• hudl2user
    hudl2user
    Community Member

OK I only mentioned it because I did it myself and closed the 1PW7 window in error :) . Then again I tend not to use "Windows Store" style applications. Also with Edge the open/close action is actually controlled by the elipsis they have put below the "X". I would have got that (press to open /press to close). Anyway, it's a very minor observation, let's move along now, nothing to see here.........

• Thanks for mentioning it anyway, we do want to hear from our customers. If we hear nothing, we do sometime make the wrong assumptions that it is working.

This discussion has been closed.