Feature request - Trim spaces and non-numeric characters from fields when copying out of 1P

Danoz88
Danoz88
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

I often store information in fields that I like to see presented with delimiter characters (such as spaces or hyphens) to make the information more legible but which are not technically part of the information. An example would be an account number where the number has to conform to a set format eg 9 numbers, but for legibility I like to store it chunked up, like: 123 456 789.
I would like to have some ability where I could store it presented in that format, but have the information copied out of 1P without the non-numeric data.

Perhaps it could be a different field type, or a modifier key or a different keyboard shortcut for copying.

Thanks for your consideration of this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Danoz88 - that's certainly an interesting use-case! I'm not sure how easy that would be to do, since data stored in encrypted format is a little more sensitive to such things than ordinary data -- every character (including spaces, etc) is encrypted -- there are no simple "ignore whitespace" commands. It might be something we could do within the interface itself, but it would have to be something that's implemented cross-platform (i.e. on Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) as well as the 1password.com web interface, which makes it much more tricky to accomplish. I'll certainly pass along your wishes to the developers, though, and thanks for taking the time to share them.

• Danoz88
    Danoz88
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Thanks for taking the time to reply @Lars.
    You do it with credit card numbers (numbers are entered with no spaces but are presented with spaces), so I'm not sure why you couldn't do it for other fields too.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Danoz88 - right. I didn't say we couldn't or won't do it, just that changing those templates everywhere isn't as easy as it sounds. It would certainly be a neat thing to have, because it IS easier to visualize/remember/read long strings if they're shortened into smaller chunks. But by custom that predates 1Password by decades, people expect to see credit card data presented that way, whereas they don't necessarily for other data...so credit card numbers have been presented that way in 1Password since the Credit Card category was first created, back in the earliest days of 1Password. The credit card number fields are also hard-coded that way; there's no option to turn that on or off. What you're asking for would be a user-selectable feature that would allow you to add this to various fields at the switch of a toggle or the check of a box -- similar but considerably more difficult in that it needs to work without causing collisions for design in either "on" or "off" mode at various user-adjustable sizes across four platforms. Again, that doesn't mean we won't do it, but we do place a pretty high value on cleanliness of user interface, which is why we set the bar for adding yet another toggle/checkbox/preference to 1Password's UI fairly high. Like anything else, if there is enough user-driven demand for it, and we don't see any security or other downside to it, it will be much more likely to happen. But this is the first request we've had (or at least that I've seen) for this in thirteen-plus years over four platforms. As I said, I'll pass along the request. :)

• Danoz88
    Danoz88
    Community Member

Thanks @lars for your detailed response and for sending on my request.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Danoz88 - you're quite welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.