How do I safely and completely remove 1Password 7 (Family) from an iMac I am selling?

Skrz
Skrz
Community Member

1Pswd 7 is currently syncing thru the subscription. I previously used Dropbox to sync, but I think that stopped when I got the subscription. I want to delete it only on the old iMac, but don't want this same account affected or deleted on my other devices. I'd also like to remove 1Pswd extension from this iMac. Could you please give me instructions to do this safely?

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Sync Type: Subscription, iCloud or Dropbox?
Referrer: forum-search:How do I safely remove 1Password family from only 1 device?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Skrz - if you're certain your 1Password data is in 1password.com vaults (not local standalone vaults), then you have nothing to worry about; your other devices will not be affected, and the data will remain on 1password.com servers. You only need to remove 1Password from the Mac, which will not affect what remains in your account.

I'm going to stray a little outside of my lane here (which is 1Password-related issues) and suggest that if you're selling a Mac on the open market to an unknown purchaser, through Craigslist or the classifieds or whatever, you should remove any data you want from it (not just 1Password, but other things as well), and then fully re-format the hard drive and re-install macOS. Selling or giving away a Mac with ANY of your existing data on it is a recipe for disaster. If you do that, all 1Password data would be removed along with everything else, and you'd have no issues. If you need specific instructions for removing only the 1Password-related files/data, let me know and I can give you those as well.

• Skrz
    Skrz
    Community Member

Thanks so much for your response Lars, and noting all data should be wiped from the Mac in this case. It's a good point to make and exactly what I was going to do. Being overly cautious though, I wanted to delete 1Pswd first just to be sure there would be no remnants. I know it's not necessary, but I worry... ;) Regarding the vaults, it appears they are all on 1pswd servers. The same vaults and password counts are visible when I look at the account thru a browser, as when I open the app on my devices. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Skrz - you're quite welcome! Feel free to do any level of disk-wipe without fear of losing your 1Password data. :)

This discussion has been closed.